Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

I have recently got my new v40 D2 R-design Lux and am very happy overall. It is a company car and my main reason for going for this was the low co2 and company tax. The following are a few niggles that i have noticed:

The turning circle is awful compared to my old BMW 1 series. Both had 18 in wheels.

The light above the auto light buton to tell me when lights are on is obscured by the wiper stalk and I don't see anything else to tell me when headlights are on.

The rear park sensors are nowhere near as sensitive as my BMW which i will probably get used to, but do not inspire confidence right now.

The stop start works well but has a habbit of cutting out and restarting again instantly. Is this normal? I understand that there are many factors that require the engine to restart, but why can't the car check the temp, voltage, etc.. Before deciding to cut out?

When i hit the light button on the fob the lights give a quick flash and i have to press again to have them on for a few seconds.

The car's revs hunt a little when i clutch and am in gear but drop to a steady level when i revert to neutral. Why don't revs drop to idle when clutching in gear?

I don't want to sound too negative as i am very happy with the car overall. It is much more comfortable and attractive than my old car, especially inside, and I am even pleasantly surprised by the engine as the drop in power 25BHP is not as noticeable as expected. Any thoughts on the above issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a R-Design Lux D2 and I have exactly the same problem with my stop/start, the engine cut out and then immediately restarts, in the 3/4 weeks I have had the car it has only operated correctly once?

·
Registered
44 Posts
PeterDryden said:
I have a R-Design Lux D2 and I have exactly the same problem with my stop/start, the engine cut out and then immediately restarts, in the 3/4 weeks I have had the car it has only operated correctly once?
check the driveE menu at mycar, when start/stop is opereting. this will give you the reason why the function is NOT available.
if there is no explanation...you should visit your dealer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi folks - Quick update.

I am really growing to like the V40. So comforting and relaxing for this size of car. Stop start seems to be behaving better now and the revs are not hunting in neutral so they were hopefully teething problems. MPG appears to be very good. I'll let you know what it is exactly when I get through first tank.

My only real gripe is the turning circle. Does anyone know if it is different with 18 in wheels? (ie- are there modified full lock stops?)

Happy motoring

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tsopanoskylo said:
PeterDryden said:
check the driveE menu at mycar, when start/stop is opereting. this will give you the reason why the function is NOT available.
if there is no explanation...you should visit your dealer
Thanks for this tip. It seems to cut out on the first chance on any journey and restarts immediately whilst saying it is available in 'my car'. From then on it operates as normal. I can easily live with this until first service as this is much better than initial operation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi JamesM, my previous car was a 1 series too and yes the turning circle on the V40 was one of the first things I noticed too. I've got 17in wheels, I'm not sure that wheel size makes a difference. I think it's that the 1 series turning circle is particularly good and the fact that the V40 turning circle is below average that makes the difference so huge. That said, after 6 months I've got used to it now.
On the subject of the start/stop, I've noticed as the weather has got warmer the engine can cope with the load of the heater and the start/stop works better. When the weather was at it's coldest and I know I was going to be stuck in traffic, I tried turning the heater off for the first 10mins so that start/stop would function which on my journey home was inevitable but would give me an extra 3-5 mpg over the 30 mile journey. After 10mins it works fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
London_2012 said:
Hi JamesM, my previous car was a 1 series too and yes the turning circle on the V40 was one of the first things I noticed too. I've got 17in wheels, I'm not sure that wheel size makes a difference. I think it's that the 1 series turning circle is particularly good and the fact that the V40 turning circle is below average that makes the difference so huge. That said, after 6 months I've got used to it now.
On the subject of the start/stop, I've noticed as the weather has got warmer the engine can cope with the load of the heater and the start/stop works better. When the weather was at it's coldest and I know I was going to be stuck in traffic, I tried turning the heater off for the first 10mins so that start/stop would function which on my journey home was inevitable but would give me an extra 3-5 mpg over the 30 mile journey. After 10mins it works fine.
Thanks London. Its good to know that it is not an issue with my particular car or spec.

I am really appreciating the relaxed feeling i get in the volvo, but it does take me longer to get everywhere as i no longer have the bmw syndrome where i have a compulsion to jump queues.

Although this is a bit tongue in cheek, I really do think that the direct steering and confidence that bmws provide do tempt that style.

I don't miss the poor ride i had in the 1 series though as it had 18 in run flts and m sport suspension.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi James M - I have 17'' wheels my previous S40 had 16" and both former and latter turn within an inch or so in the same space so no issues for me - Anyway I only use full lock when I have to - to avoid scrubbing the pirellis!
As said by others agree that as weather has warmed up so seemingly has the stop-start function which now works faultlessly.
I would say that the rear sensors are unobtrusive but sensitive and the corner ones pick up the side pillars on my drive unlike the previous car.Regarding mpg I would be interested to learn of your results as I am just a little disappointed with mine!
I have found that c/control makes more of a difference(negatively) than previous cars I have owned and tend not to use it.
The figures released by Volvo seem unachievable to those living in the real world and 15/20mpg or so down on those claimed.Strangely the mpg returns on a longer motorway run (more than 20 miles)at constant speeds(max 70mph)improve significantly mile on mile which may be something to do with the dpf working more efficiently as 75% of my driving is short distance town/stop start .
With the above in mind I have averaged 44mpg over 500miles with the max achieved on a longer run of 60 mpg which I suppose is still good by any standards(particularly in view of my recent read of a well known consumer mag which indicates that most other manufacturers also appear to enhance mpg) Consequently I would guess that a set of results for similar driving environments by a less careful driver than me would be 39/55!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
JamesM said:
Evening all.

I have recently got my new v40 D2 R-design Lux and am very happy overall. It is a company car and my main reason for going for this was the low co2 and company tax. The following are a few niggles that i have noticed:

The turning circle is awful compared to my old BMW 1 series. Both had 18 in wheels.

The light above the auto light buton to tell me when lights are on is obscured by the wiper stalk and I don't see anything else to tell me when headlights are on.

The rear park sensors are nowhere near as sensitive as my BMW which i will probably get used to, but do not inspire confidence right now.

The stop start works well but has a habbit of cutting out and restarting again instantly. Is this normal? I understand that there are many factors that require the engine to restart, but why can't the car check the temp, voltage, etc.. Before deciding to cut out?

When i hit the light button on the fob the lights give a quick flash and i have to press again to have them on for a few seconds.

The car's revs hunt a little when i clutch and am in gear but drop to a steady level when i revert to neutral. Why don't revs drop to idle when clutching in gear?

I don't want to sound too negative as i am very happy with the car overall. It is much more comfortable and attractive than my old car, especially inside, and I am even pleasantly surprised by the engine as the drop in power 25BHP is not as noticeable as expected. Any thoughts on the above issues?
James, I picked up my D2 R Design Lux Nav in march, but such is my mileage, it'll be going in for its first annual service in June! I've noticed the lights issue where they give a flicker on the first touch and then you have to press it again...if you notice, when you have your mirrors on auto fold they stutter as they fold out...i'm going to ask the question if there's a software glitch! Otherwise, I'd have another one of these in 3 years over any BMW or Audi! Darren

·
Registered
196 Posts
Stop/Start uses a separate battery to the rest of the car electrics so far as I thought - unsure why the heaters being on should affect anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My only real gripe is the turning circle. Does anyone know if it is different with 18 in wheels? (ie- are there modified full lock stops?)
It's got a handbrake....

If you're in a hurry pull it while turning, and just like that turning circle is no longer a problem!

They're good little rally cars 0:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts