Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm a young driver on my P Plates (Australian Provisional Licence) who has just acquired a MY14 Volvo V40 T5 R-Design in perfect condition. I'm new to this club and forum so I thought instead of searching through heaps of articles I'd start one so that I can get some direct guidance on my new car, hope that is okay.
I'm a big car enthusiast so I have good knowledge of modifications in general but I've found it kinda hard to find info on what I can actually do to my car.
Since its an older T5 it has the 2.5l, 5 cyl turbo, so I know there isn't a lot I can legally do performance wise given my licence restrictions. But was wondering if there are any subtle performance mods I can do that might be legal while not making the car exempt from any sort of Volvo warranty?
Was also wondering what sort of less expensive bodywork mods I can do to the car that won't break my bank account (I assume most mods for this car in general are not cheap at all)?
I definitely am considering some sort of exhaust mod or whether that be a full system or aftermarket muffler cause I'm in love with the way this car sings. I'd love to find some nicer rims as well so that's also on my list for the future, suspension upgrade would be awesome but again I'm not sure what implications this might have.

I'm purely just curious on what I can really do with this car as I intend on keeping it for a long time. So any sort of advice, guidance or info given would be very much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Not being sure of what modifications a P plate allows (being in the UK, where you can modify a car pretty much how you want)

But you may be able to get the official Polestar remap from Volvo themselves - that would give you a few more bhp. (and it is Volvo approved so won't affect Volvo warranty)

You could look at the rear spoiler Volvo made a few different variations.

Aftermarket brake callipers (performance brake pads)

There may be performance exhausts out there, or you could get a custom stainless steel one fabricated locally

Good luck and have fun

Reactions: cooperhersee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not being sure of what modifications a P plate allows (being in the UK, where you can modify a car pretty much how you want)

But you may be able to get the official Polestar remap from Volvo themselves - that would give you a few more bhp. (and it is Volvo approved so won't affect Volvo warranty)

You could look at the rear spoiler Volvo made a few different variations.

Aftermarket brake callipers (performance brake pads)

There may be performance exhausts out there, or you could get a custom stainless steel one fabricated locally

Good luck and have fun
Thank you so much for the advice and info man. That Polestar remap sounds really interesting so I'll look into that more. I also didn't think about getting an exhaust system fabricated locally so will look into that too.
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do body work mods and you instantly become police bait in Oz.
Change the suspension or exhaust noise same again.
Change the mapping, have an accident, insurers interrogate your car electronics, non standard. Insurers advised, of changes, no? Sorry you are on your own :(
Why did you buy this car anyway? You want to change the looks already?
Enjoy the V40 as is, more than enough performance to get relative newbie drivers into trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do body work mods and you instantly become police bait in Oz.
Change the suspension or exhaust noise same again.
Change the mapping, have an accident, insurers interrogate your car electronics, non standard. Insurers advised, of changes, no? Sorry you are on your own :(
Why did you buy this car anyway? You want to change the looks already?
Enjoy the V40 as is, more than enough performance to get relative newbie drivers into trouble.
Thanks heaps for the advice man, much appreciated.
Yea I realise that once your car stands out here in Australia you become automatic police bait, and I definitely know the consequences that come with that :/
And you're entirely correct about the mapping and electronics modifications which can cause insurance problems, if only it didn't.
The story is that this is my father's car and I fell in love with it when he bought it, so I share the same love he has for the car and am always looking after it where I can. The car has good Km's and is running well so it was a good deal for me. And yes I want to change the looks but only partial aspects of the car, I want to keep it authentic and in its original form, I don't intend on doing anything stupid cosmetic or performance wise with it. But on the other hand I really want to make it my own (even tho it's already a scarce car).
Overall though I do wholeheartedly appreciate the car for it is and that's why I'm in love with it, therefore why I bought it.
Yea you're totally right, definitely a hectic car to have as a P-plater.
Thanks again man! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there...another T5 in AUS.
There is no Polestar tune for these T5 5cyl.....
On my I fitted the Polestar cat back exhaust kit. Was on very special $$ as getting rid of so you could look local for that one.
Some mods you can use from the earlier P1 T5's.
Intercooler is different
I normally do mods for Volvo cars here is AUS so you can always message me....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts