Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I've been a reader for a while but never posted and I'm searching for some help.
I recently traded in my D4 R-Design with low mileage for a D3 SE Nav with high mileage as I could no longer afford to pay the finance payments following home renovations.

One of the things that annoys me is the large black sensor on the front grille, I believe this is for the equally annoying BLIS safety system. Does anybody know I was to replace the grill, would that send the car into a frenzy of warnings as I've removed the sensor, or is it simply not possible to remove the sensor?

Ironically my 2nd question is around the City Safety Sensor, I have the warning light on at the moment. Straight after a local mechanic replaced my ABS sensor as I had a warning light for that too. They struggled to find an error when they plugged in their diagnostic tool. Does this have to be a Volvo specific diagnostic tool, they seemed to think it might be?
Many thanks!
L

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
695 Posts
hi, I'm certain youll have a warning frenzy if you remove that sensor, at least its not as ugly as the newer Audi items...
I also had issues with snap-on scanners and other readers coming up with issues, they failed to identify a dtc for fuel pressure which the Volvo tool found instantly. Oddly, one scanner on an older C30 wouldnt read anything until we manually said the vehicle was a berlingo van :) . Cars, hate them!

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
The sensor in the grill has nothing to do with BLIS, but provides info to:
  • Distance Warning
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Collision Warning with Auto Brake and Pedestrian Detection
If you remove it you will lose these functions and I am very sure that it will generate lots of errors and as they are safety related items your insurance company may take a dim view of their disconnection in the event of an accident.

Reactions: Libertrah

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
695 Posts
your insurance company may take a dim view of their disconnection in the event of an accident.
Absolutely correct.
In a previous employment I supplied a full front end back to chassis rails to repair an R8, retail job as the insurance refused to pay. The driver aids were manually turned off...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your prompt replies!
Ok, that's fair enough, the sensor could be worse.

Also I think I'll take it to a dealership to clear the City Safety Sensor then, thanks so much for your guidance
L

1 - 6 of 6 Posts