Volvo V40 Forums banner

Newbie- Volvo Choice help needed

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  raytint 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am a company car user and i have made my choice to go with Volvo for my next company car but i can not decide on which one! Hope you can help me?

Here is my dilemma!

Do i go for:
Volvo V40 Rdesign D2

How many miles on average per tank will i see?(70% Mways)
My company pay 12p per mile for diesel so i need to make sure i will not be out of pocket.
the tax benefits of this car are unreal so it is a big + for me.

OR

V60 D5
Tax is a lot higher BUT due to the 2.4 diesel engine i would be paid 18p per mile.
So my main question for the D5 is how many miles would i see per tank (70% motorways)

As you can see i am trying to see if i would be making money every time i fill up, if the D5 returns are good then the money i make would outweigh the higher tax.

At the moment i am driving a Passat CC 170ps

Hope you can help as i have been searching forums for some answers but come up blank, they all claim mpg figures but i would like some reallife figures from fellow Volvo users

Many thanks
Paul
Nottingham

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

A couple of points that may help you:

1) I own a V40 D2 and have test driven the V60 equivalent. I found the V40 a much more enjoyable drive and the V60 interior felt a bit dated relative to the V40 - particularly the main dials. If you need a bit more space for luggage the V60 might swing it, but it was an easy choice for me.

2) Fuelly.com (http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo) has some real-life fuel economy data for both cars. At present my V40 isn't living up to the claimed > 70mpg, but I do have climate control on full time and my other half loves the heated seats! I'm hoping to get closer to the published figures in spring.

Cheers
Mike

#3 ·
Hi Paul,

It's a tough one, I have driven both cars with the engines you mention and both are great.
In terms of economy, I do think the D2 will be better, but then I don't know what size the tanks are on each car.
How about a compromise, could you get the V40 with the D4 engine? This would be better in the long run if your mostly long distance, plus the car and engine combo will be lighter than the V60 but better performing in comparison.
Driving a tuned C30 D5 I do have a soft spot for the 5cyl engines...big grin factor :)

Anyway, my money would be on the V40 with the D3 or D4 lump.

#4 ·
That's a peculiar comparison. Big car, big engine vs smaller car, small engine. I second the above and would go with the V40 D3/4. The V60 looks nice but I would say the V40 is more modern and less "traditional volvo". Depends on whether you need the extra space in the V60. The V40 eats the miles pretty well (have driven my D3 to Germany a few times).

#5 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I know its an unusual comparison but going for the extremities. High tax,high return in fuel maybe or low tax medium to high return on fuel.
Space isn't a major issue as I don't need it with my job, performance I can give or take it, the amount of times I've broke my neck to beat someone and they've ended up behind me at the next junction.:shy:

#6 ·
I have looked on the fuelly website and I am confused by the results, I have looked at passat results to compare. I have looked at miles per fill up, most I saw was 550.
Worst case i am seeing 600 and that's mainly city driving, best ive had was 775. Mpg on trip on motorway between 50 and 55. Around town 40mpg.

#7 ·
With a 52 litre tank it will cost me 72 pound at my local station rate. For me to break even I have to achieve 600 miles minimum.(.12p x 600 )
Is this possible? Looking at the fuelly data it is not possible.
Will ask for a week to test drive one so I can see for myself.

#8 ·
I have made some calculations myself for the V40 - D2, which I own. I
already have 3300 kms (not miles, mind you !) on the odometer. So:

- average consumption is 5.2 liters/100 km (divided 40% in and 60% out of city). It will not vary much in any case! This means, in terms of euros and kms, something like 7,07 cents per km, or 5,89 pence per km, or 9,43 pence per mile. This is if we take into account diesel price in Greece (1,36 euros per liter). If we "translate" this according to diesel price in UK (at least, to what is up to my knowledge), it will be something like 11,32 pence per mile, which is scandalously near to what you get paid for such a car-engine (12 pence per mile)
- I am sorry I can not make analogous calculations for the V60, as I have no statistics for average consumption. Here, you may derive data from fuelly. But, I am afraid that strict calculations will apply here also ! :p

Good Luck, wish you a Happy New Year !

raytint (Chris from Greece)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.