Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Really hoping someone on here can help as it's driving me mad!
My 2015 V40 has the Sensus Connect (not the touchscreen one and no built in modem). I am trying to connect my iPhone XS Max (iOS12) as my internet connection so I can take advantage of the RTTI (traffic info) update I had done today at the Volvo Dealer
I do not have the built in modem so am connecting via Bluetooth or Wifi. My Phone connects fine via BT for calls etc. but selecting either BT or Wifi (enabling personal hotspot on iPhone) for Internet, results in failure. N.B. There is no problem with the 4G mobile data connection on my phone
When trying Wifi the icon lights up bold white (so the password is accepted) but the connecting yellow arrows stay on and connection is not established (see photos)
With Bluetooth selected, again connection is not established with the same yellow connecting arrows
I have tried to forget all connections and try again but still the same issue persists
Admittedly it's been a while since I tried the Internet connection but it has worked before on previous models of iPhone
Could the RTTI upgrade have caused an issue or is it something else?
Hope someone has the answer please 0:)
Thank in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Don't you have to enable the car to allow Bluetooth connections and also initiate/accept the connection at the phone end.
Pretty sure I did it that way, connect phone to car not vice-versa. Using BT. Shows up as My V40.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Strange bluetooth issues with iPhone XS have been reported, some saying 12.0.1 hasn't fixed it while others say it has fixed things for them. As usual you can try deleting the pairing then re-pairing to see whether that helps, or test the car with someone else's phone if you can.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The process of connecting is fairly straightforward. First you have to 'Pair' your phone with the car to enable the 'Phone Applications'.
Then you have to set up a 'Tethering' connection on the iPhone to get the 'Internet Applications'. You start by enabling 'Personal Hotspot' on the iPhone. Note; not all service providers allow this. You will see that the personal hotspot has a connection code. Then you go to the car and switch on the 'Internet Connection' but you will have to select whether you want to connect to the phone through WiFi or Bluetooth. Personally I find the Bluetooth setting is more reliable. When the two sides have found each other you will have to enter that connection code into the car by the dial process. After that they connect automatically. Note; you will have to turn the car off and on again for the settings to take effect.

·
Registered
699 Posts
There's another strange wrinkle that I can't quite fathom out yet.
I'm pretty sure that if I have BT "half off", (i.e. using the "disconnected until tomorrow" button on the panel when you swipe up from the bottom on an iPhone) it still connects to the car inside a minute or so.
Not sure if that's using wifi as some sort of trigger or if BT is still looking for devices? It's also potentially complicated by the fact that where I get into my car (on my drive) it's in range of my home wifi too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My son can connect his iPhone easily with the Sensus Connect, can go to any web site, but he said that his mobile account allows for tethering, what ever that means ?
He checked my phone and he said he could get it to connect but would need to turn on tethering which would probably incur a service charge from my provider, again all a bit alien to me ?

I do use use my phone to access the net via the phone as I have a certain amount of usage in my allowance, but apparently this does not include tethering so cant use it to pair up with the Sensus Connect, (unless I pay for tethering)

He then made a point, which I thought was fairly valid, why go on the net via the car, which needs to be connected to your phone anyway, when you can just connect to the internet without all the faffle direct from the phone ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think you can use the Sensus Connect whilst the car is moving ?
Same with the DVD player, you have to be stationary.
So by the time you pull over, pair up the phone with the Sensus Connect you could of just hit the internet button on your phone and be done with.

I'm not saying use the phone to access the net whilst driving, but isnt it just easier and quicker to pull over and access the net direct via phone, or am I missing something and there are added benefits by using the Sensus Connect, and are these benefits worth the extra cost from your service provider?

Just curious ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the exact same issue for almost a year now, 2 volvo dealerships are unable to fix it. I've got hints that it's probably a missing update of the IHU module (infotainment head unit), I gave that hint to my Volvo dealer, but even after they had the car for one whole week, they could not fix it. I'm not having problems connecting my phone, but no internet access, no apps, no RTTI..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Who is your phone service provider?
(I use GiffGaff who are fine with tethering)

Main bonus to me of connecting the phone is purely RTTI.
The car Apps are universally rubbish, it's easier to use the phone as you say.

Only possible exception are the location searches as they integrates back into the SatNav. It's a bit slow and clunky but does work.
As mentioned elsewhere, the location search via Here.WEGO works fine on a desktop PC and the "send to car" function is useful, but it's just not available via the mobile version of the web site.
I used it very effectively at the weekend to locate a specific car park.

So, if you're at home on a PC it's easy to look up somewhere you're planning to go and send the location (or locations) to the car for collection later.
But if you're in the car there's no obvious way to find it on a phone and transfer it over.

Reactions: jactac

·
Registered
772 Posts
with connecting the phone in my case a windows nokia to get traffic for a new tomtom I had purchased, I ran in to the same problem of not being able to get the traffic part to connect, I had to give up and go back to the old connection for traffic on a new tomtom 40 which still had the aerial type traffic though I had to buy a new aerial to fit the new tomtom, thank goodness for amazon returns. im sure things have moved on a bit since I did this so hope you get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
800 Posts
So there does seem to be one or two benefits ?

Both my son and myself are with the 3 network but we have different tariffs, also he has an Iphone and I have a MotoG5s, both do connect but I get charged extra for tethering, and if I'm honest for the amount of times I would need to use the net via the Sensus Connect it just wouldn't be worth the extra costs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I’m with EE for mobile provider and never had a problem before tethering using my iPhone X. I’m suspicious something in iOS 12 (12.1 to be precise as I do have the beta profile which might be my bad here!) might be causing the issue so have fed back to Apple.
I don’t use the apps on the Sensus as they’re so slow and forked out the 50 quid for RTTI which is the only reason I want the internet connectivity. Alas I’ll try a few more things and if no luck the TomTom with traffic (which tethers fine to my phone ?
will be in use again

·
Registered
95 Posts
There's another strange wrinkle that I can't quite fathom out yet.
I'm pretty sure that if I have BT "half off", (i.e. using the "disconnected until tomorrow" button on the panel when you swipe up from the bottom on an iPhone) it still connects to the car inside a minute or so.
Not sure if that's using wifi as some sort of trigger or if BT is still looking for devices? It's also potentially complicated by the fact that where I get into my car (on my drive) it's in range of my home wifi too.
I think it's now purely a temporary disconnect, and is still 'discoverable', so will connect to other devices or when changing location, maybe it's because of that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine is perfect for the two services I like. First the 'Internet Traffic' flow is working well. The second is the TuneIn radio. I can listen to Radio Paradise from California. It's a great mixture of music as they say "eclectic commercial free Internet radio". No adverts, virtually no interruptions.

https://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php?#

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well problem solved - Took car to dealer and they found they had screwed up the RTTI update by not installing the correct certificates. Once installed, connections now work fine ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had the RTTI update last week, and now my car refuses to connect to my iPhone either through wifi or bluetooth.

I've tried deleting the car on my phone, and my phone in the car and re-paired them, but the although the car sees the iPhone it doesn't connect (you just see the 2 spinning green arrows)

Oddly my phone displays the blue tethered symbol on the home screen, so my phone thinks there is a connection, but my car doesn't.

I'm guessing another trip to the dealer is on the cards!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Tony1, sounds like the exact problem I had. The dealer did not install the certificates correctly. Get them to do that then all should be ok

·
Registered
262 Posts
Long story short, we had the same issue at my parents house, my mom and dad could not use the Wi-Fi as it was really slow and the speed was terrific. To be honest, it was impossible to contact them via Skype or something like this. I wanted to solve this issue as I need to keep in touch with my parents. I contacted their internet provider, and they told me that for the price my parents are paying for the internet this is the best speed they could have. I doubt that as I paid nearly same money and my internet speed was twice faster as their one. My wife told me that she found usave, their site - https://usave.co.uk/, this is a service that can show you the best internet offers in the area of your search, so I started to look up for the best offer in my parent's area, and I had found a provider that could give a better speed for a lower price, this is what I've done and now I can contact my parents whenever I need, and the signal is stable and the connection is strong.
What does this possibly have to do with tethering a phone 4G connection to the car to get traffic information updates?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts