Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst I gave the tyre foam I've been struggling to pick a solid point for trolley jack so I thought I'd try the jack supplied with the car to put my winter wheels on - but there isn't one???

Is it an omission on mine, or on them all. There is clearly a place for it in the shaped polystyrene in the boot well

·
Registered
395 Posts
No jack with mine either. I checked with them and they asked why I wanted a jack with no spare wheel!!
Went to the local car-breakers and bought one and also a wheel brace for a tenner - just because I feel happier with one!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
When you order the car, there is a choise :
- spare and jack, for smthng like 70 euros here in Greece, or
- emergency kit (bottle and compressor)
I decided for the second. When I, later on, asked to buy a spare and jack, I was informed by the dealer that price is around 450 euros, believe me !! :(

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Yep if you don't order the spare tyre from new, you don't get the jack either.
Spare wheel and jack cost me around £300 afterwards from Volvo, but after messing about putting air in flat to get to garage decided it was worth it.
Hope not to prove false later, once I was forced to use the emergency kit, it was straightforward, easy and clear !

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Guys, I can see their rationale but I'm bemused why there is a slot for it in the poly carrier frame as with the carrier in you couldn't get a spare in.

As you say I would feel comfier with a jack but may be a placebo

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is maybe a bit off topic but read an article about insurance company refusing to pay damages caused by a broken jack when changing winter wheels. The argument was car makers instructions of only occasional use of the supplied jack. Changing all wheels was considered regular use. It was also mentioned that the jacks may not be manufactured to last many lifts.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think thats a good cautionary point to make mudst. You can't be too careful with insurance companies. I know that in this country a year or two back some drivers came unstuck. Changed to winter tyres but some insurers would not provide cover. A lot of insurers also consider a change of alloys as a car improvement and will up the premium. Always best to report changes to your insurer. There may well be no change to your premium or cover, but best be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Changed to winter tyres but some insurers would not provide cover. A lot of insurers also consider a change of alloys as a car improvement and will up the premium. Always best to report changes to your insurer. There may well be no change to your premium or cover, but best be safe than sorry.
Very good point re insurers, Kev. I now have 20k on my tyres and starting to think about a change but toying with the idea of winter tyres first and then getting the new ones in the spring.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Winter tyres are a waste of money in our normally kind climate.

If you want a jack- a good old Rover 45/MG ZS scissor jack works a treat ;-)

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
945 Posts
i opted for the spare but it cost me an extra £250 because of having to have the silly raised floor :0( but I at least have a jack so I can change the tyre if necessary (and I can get the bolts of with the tiny wrench they provide and the alloys has not welded itself to the hub.....may be the inflator kit may have been better lol.

Anyway, a ford or jag scissor jack should do but I would much rather use a hydraulic trolley jack with a nice soft pad (to protect the sill, never use one with a metal cup or it will go through)

Re winter tyres in the uk, the compound of the tyre is designed to work/grip better than a summer/normal tyre at temps below 7 degrees, I have not popped mine on yet but they will be going on before Christmas. (Mine are standard size so no issues with insurance)

·
Registered
398 Posts
For me, a spare and jack was always a must - I rejected the Mercedes A-Class because, not only does it not have a spare wheel, it also has no place for one. I have rarely needed a spare, but when I did, I needed one badly and no squirty goo could have sufficed (I hit a kerb in an unfamiliar hire car and tore the sidewall). The Volvo space-saver is fine for local trips, but for long journeys I'll be carrying a full-size spare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.