Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise coming from the front suspension, when driving over uneven surfaces (speeds lower than 40km/h), more when the car is going slowly downhill. Car has been 2 or 3 times back to Volvo, and they say they can see nothing wrong, and might be the cars characteristics.

Had a T4 for a few days while they had mine, and the suspension didn't make this same noise. I have been playing a bit with the steering force, and last night home to work this morning, had it on high, and the suspension felt much better and quieter, also stiffer (I know high makes it stiffer).

Is it the steering rack that gets adjusted or what, as it seems to me that the lower the settings, the more this "play" noise is coming through.

Reactions: Lim jw

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed

I found the problem that was causing this noise coming from the engine bay. The coolant expansion tank is sitting loose in its mount point, resulting in a loose bottle that rattles.

For testing purposes I inserted some sponges, and the noise was gone. Car was yesterday at Volvo, and they will be submitting this issue to Sweden, as other V40's might develop this problem.

I saw some guys on the board had a similar sound coming from the engine bay, check the bottle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turns out that is not what is causing the rattle I have, so I am still frustrated. The car only has 4300km on the clock, but feels like a car that has done 100 000km. I am at a point where I am really thinking of selling it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, im thinking the same, if the problems I got with the car dont get fixed next time.....
12.aug is the next appointment with the car dealorship.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has been 2 times at dealer, and three times at Volvo itself, and eveyone keeps saying there isn't anything wrong. I know my car, and you will not convince me otherwise. I am not there to screw anyone out of a better car, but the car is spending more time at the service garage than in my own garage.

When I see other V40's on the road, I always wonder if they have the same issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem on my V40 CC T4. Anybody found a solution to this ??

Its a brand new card but suspension sounds on uneven surfaces with low speed is making me really sick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem on my V40 CC T4. Anybody found a solution to this ??

Its a brand new card but suspension sounds on uneven surfaces with low speed is making me really sick.
I have the same problem. Car back at dealership just now for the third time and Volvo UK technical and customer service depts involved now following an email I sent to their customer relations and CEO complaining that a new car, never mind a Volvo shouldn't be doing that. Car been back at dealership all of last week and Volvo UK gave me T3 Rdesign as courtesy car which doesn't have the same issue. They've tried fixes to steering box/rack and also added weights to steering rack with no success. They're now working on fixes to suspension. Very disgruntled and they know it.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am glad to hear I am not the only one, and when you speak to dealers or Volvo, they say there is nothing wrong. The problem is, you get to know you car and how it feels. When you now drive another car for a week or 2, and you get back in your car, if feels awesome again and you hear nothing, until you have drive it again for a few days, then your it again.

This is the problem when taking the car in, the workshop guys won't feel or hear this noise, as to them the car feels just awesome. And that is where the problem comes in.

Too prove it, my dad drove with me around my neighborhood this weekend to go pick up my kids, and he still commented that there is nothing wrong with the car, but in the meantime while we drive I hear the suspension noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad to hear I am not the only one, and when you speak to dealers or Volvo, they say there is nothing wrong. The problem is, you get to know you car and how it feels. When you now drive another car for a week or 2, and you get back in your car, if feels awesome again and you hear nothing, until you have drive it again for a few days, then your it again.

This is the problem when taking the car in, the workshop guys won't feel or hear this noise, as to them the car feels just awesome. And that is where the problem comes in.

Too prove it, my dad drove with me around my neighborhood this weekend to go pick up my kids, and he still commented that there is nothing wrong with the car, but in the meantime while we drive I hear the suspension noise.
I have exactly the same feeling like you :) . My wife has 2009 a3 sportback (on 100k km) and it has a sport suspension. It has much better suspension sound then my v40. Only I am feeling the sound but nobody in the car. Its very strange.

It is something like the sound of a shaking thick carton right? Its making me very uncomfortable and feeling like i am riding a very cheap and old car. My old Tiguan was much more comfortable.

BTW the rest of the car is great. Its design, its interior quality, powershift ( is not more dynamic than DSG but its ok i like it), radio quality etc etc. I really like the v40 but only the suspension on hard terrains.

I will go to the volvo dealer next week and keep you updated about their response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same noise in the beginning... but very slowly it disappeared to the point i am not distracted anymore...i have now 27.000km. Maybe the suspension needed some settling?

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
But what you replace it with?
Good question, I looked at a few cars in its price range, Merc A200 comes the closest. I phoned one dealer yesterday to check what the options are to go to a V40 CC T4, but the T3 already dropped so much in price over 4 months since I got it, and then I still have to go more expensive. Combining the 2 figures, upgrade is just to expensive.

So looks like I am stuck with the T3 for a while. Car is brilliant, I like the audio, seats, the way the suspensions feels, now and then in traffic the manual is a bit of a pain. But as TarkanVeKurdu said, when hearing this noise, it does make the car feel cheap and old.

My dad has a BMW 330i, M-sport suspension, 235/35/R18 on the car, after 83000km, there is not a rattle in that car. That suspension is so solid, feels like a go-kart, and nothing has been replaced yet, except tyres.

What gets to me is the fact that you have to take the car back to the dealer, time, money, petrol etc. If this happened after say 20000km, I can say yes, everyday wear and tear of the roads, but not within the first 5000km. That makes you negative!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It looks like more and more people have this issue. Unfortunatly i am one of them.
In order to find a trend i propose to mention the car configuration: (items that can have an influence on the noise)
My car: D2 momentum, NO sportchassis, steering force option, manual, matres, safety pack, no front parking sensors.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well only a few have this issue? A few on here yes but not a trend. I hope you folks get this issue sorted. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
A close friend has a Jetta 6 with a DSG gearbox. They just replaced the gearbox, 5000 miles on the clock.

Every manufacturer has lemon's, it's an unfortunate reality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
noise in front suspension

weel, i have my v40 and it´s 1.000 km now. this front noise when slow and in uneven ground is really making me mad, and iám sad it´s a car problem, would be easier if it was just a matter of changing some parts. does anyone solved this problem?

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, mine still there, but it is a bit better. I think it comes from the spring seats, that aren't sitting properly, but when you check it, there is nothing wrong with it. Cars with lower suspension and low profile wheels are now feeling this more than others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, i have the exact same clucking noise at slow speeds on bumpy/pave roads, i sent a mail to Volvo SA's product manager with no response yet, any luck on your side,
I also sent him a link to this thread, as i they might think i have problems with everything.
I have had quite a bit of bad luck nl.

1. Peeling paint on both bumpers
2. Loose front door speakers
3. Gear knob light has blown
4. Rattle in dash
5. And recently, the centre branded caps of the mags started showing cracks

Not to mention that the car i would have collected had some cluster malfunction
And they ended up giving me another car with same spec and colour
With a free panoramic roof that generates a lot of wind noise

1 - 20 of 57 Posts