Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have 18"'s and sports on my D4 and whilst yes there is noise fomr the suspension when on uneven ground, what do you expect, try running an ELise and then you will know what noisy suspension is like.

I must say the noise is not much if nay worse than my ST, the A3 SLine black edition was not so bad but that was because it had the most unsporty sports suspension in the world and so was boring to drive

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@ Denn1s This is not the normal road noise you will hear from low profile wheels and sport suspension.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I obviously have not been in your car but I also have some clonking and banging (almost a wobbly kind of noise) but I have had this on other decent handling cars, granted the v40 may be worse than most but it certainly not as bad as the lotus

·
Registered
2 Posts
my V40CC T5 had the same problem , noise of knocking came from under carriage, send 2 time to the local dealer changed the ball joint, still the same, very sad about this car, just like my old lousy car, even worst.

·
Registered
2 Posts
v40cc

my V40CC T5 had the same problem , noise of knocking came from under carriage, send 2 time to the local dealer changed the ball joint, still the same, very sad about this car, just like my old lousy car, even worst.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seems strange, our T5 feels as tight as a drum, no rattles, squeaks or any noise from suspension at all with 18 inch rims and sports suspension. Something must be loose or not adjusted. My VW Passat with 83,000 km is the same no rattles or noises at all, apart from the tractor based diesel engine lol. Hope you can get it sorted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't experienced this noise at all. Do you all have the sport suspension (my D2 RDesign doesn't)? If so, could it be something exclusive to sport suspension?
Just a thought

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is new updated springs with the top rubbers molded onto them. I assume the new my14 models have them, as the my13 doesn't.

Still waiting for Volvo's call to bring my car in to get them, as this is the fix that is out for my model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to contribute: my new v40 t5 has just been diagnosed with the same noise issue, requiring new springs. Local dealer has to order them, and will take 2-3 weeks to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Got the new springs installed, was quieter, but after a month all the normal suspension noises settled back in, and the knock was till there, then they applied tj on the steering rack, and the hard knock when reversing the car seems to be gone.

Not 100% quiet yet, but 80% better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the new springs installed, was quieter, but after a month all the normal suspension noises settled back in, and the knock was till there, then they applied tj on the steering rack, and the hard knock when reversing the car seems to be gone.

Good night, my car has the same problem, what do you mean "they applied tj"
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts

a bit worrying to hear :(

mine is going in tomorrow morning for the springs replacement.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just seen this thread...

What's the sound you're experiencing?

I've got some suspension noise (to go with the door and mystery dash rattle) it sounds a bit like a CV joint in so far as it pops when I start to go forwards with the wheels turned after reversing (think pulling out of a parking space...). I also get a good clonk from the front if I go over a speed bump at anything over 5mph.

Ta,
Fro

Oh, I've got the D4 R-Design with sports chassis...

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
TJ - Technical Journal (What they call a fix) or updated part.

The steering rack noise happened when you drove slowly, or standing still, and you quickly pulled the steering wheel from one side to the other, then you hear this hard metal clonk. Then I discovered it came from the rubber housing on the control arm going into the steering, also made this noise when you parked the car, and turning the car to maneuver in a spot.

Other noises, when you drive over uneven road at slow speed, or at little corner shop parking and they have bricks, instead of normal road surface, you hear this plastic hollow sound. At first when I got the car there, it was quiet, compared to the T3, then it started. They replaced the springs, thinking at was going to sort out the steering clonk, but it didn't. The plastic thumb noise was gone, but after hitting a pothole 2 weeks ago, that same noise is now back, now when you drive on the road, under 60km/h, and you hit say a patch where they opened the road across it for a cable, say 20cm wide, and they filled it up, as soon as the wheels go over it, and you have upward travel on the suspension, you hear it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TJ - Technical Journal (What they call a fix) or updated part.

The steering rack noise happened when you drove slowly, or standing still, and you quickly pulled the steering wheel from one side to the other, then you hear this hard metal clonk. Then I discovered it came from the rubber housing on the control arm going into the steering, also made this noise when you parked the car, and turning the car to maneuver in a spot.

Other noises, when you drive over uneven road at slow speed, or at little corner shop parking and they have bricks, instead of normal road surface, you hear this plastic hollow sound. At first when I got the car there, it was quiet, compared to the T3, then it started. They replaced the springs, thinking at was going to sort out the steering clonk, but it didn't. The plastic thumb noise was gone, but after hitting a pothole 2 weeks ago, that same noise is now back, now when you drive on the road, under 60km/h, and you hit say a patch where they opened the road across it for a cable, say 20cm wide, and they filled it up, as soon as the wheels go over it, and you have upward travel on the suspension, you hear it.
Thanks for the clarification, but after the application of "tj" all the noise has decreased significantly or is still audible on uneven roads?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had similar noise coming from the front suspension early in the year and the dealership replaced the coil springs then it went quiet for a few months, and until about two months ago, it started to create new noise whenever I drive down a multi-storey parking every morning, this time around they identified it was the bearing that was causing this and they got it replaced.

Now that the annoying noise is gone and I hope it will stay like this for good. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys,

I have similar noise on my MY15 V40, when I drive on the surface full of pits, rattling noise comes from the front suspensions...it's quit disturbing, but this happens only when road is bad and I drive slow.

I haven't yet contacted my dealer, because I do not experience this noise when driving on normal asphalt nor over speed bumps...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts