Volvo V40 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi guys,

I have similar noise on my MY15 V40, when I drive on the surface full of pits, rattling noise comes from the front suspensions...it's quit disturbing, but this happens only when road is bad and I drive slow.

I haven't yet contacted my dealer, because I do not experience this noise when driving on normal asphalt nor over speed bumps...
I have the exact same issue with my 2014 v40 d3. Its not a nice sound or feeling when it happens at all. Every time i go on any slight uneven road surface

Will mention it alonv with my drivers door noise when it goes in for it forst service in a month or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem here with a V40 T4. I get the CLONK in the front wheel well at low speeds over speed bumps. And there's more than acceptable shakiness throughout the car when driving over uneven pavement. The test drive of another V40 had no such problems that I noticed. But my new one with less than 1,000 km has it. The Volvo service center took the car away and without any questions told me they needed to replace the springs. I am getting a sense this is a common problem. Is there a particular kind of spring, or modified spring that Volvo has that I should recommend? I love everything else about the car, and I can accept a certain hardness to the drive, but not this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well my car came back from the dealership with them saying it was the drivers side strut which had play in the shaft. But its on back order so have to wait until the 18th for the bit to arrive. I mentioned the ussue with the springs but they said they hadnt heard of any spring issues.

They fixed my door rattle so at least theres one thing off the list.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, my Volvo service center here in Hong Kong is coming to pick up my V40 T4+ to replace both front springs. They told me on the phone this is a known problem and there is a modified spring that they had to order. I'm hoping this solves the problem. I get a CLONK noise in the front wheel wells when I go over even the smallest of speed bumps. For those of you out there with the same problem, contact your service center. My car still has fewer than 1000 km on it - brand new - so all under warranty. But if this is a known problem, why the heck did they sell me this one without fixing it first?! Maybe they thought I wouldn't notice. Oh, no, I noticed, almost immediately. The joy of my new V40 has been diminished because the unsteady suspension makes it feel cheap, like I'm driving a cheap Chinese Geely or something. Oh wait, that IS the new owner of Volvo...

·
Registered
772 Posts
The joy of my new V40 has been diminished because the unsteady suspension makes it feel cheap, like I'm driving a cheap Chinese Geely or something. Oh wait, that IS the new owner of Volvo...

I fully agree with you!!!! I have had different problems but that new car feeling went down the drain day 2, and is still there 3 months later. 2nd and last Volvo for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The joy of my new V40 has been diminished because the unsteady suspension makes it feel cheap, like I'm driving a cheap Chinese Geely or something. Oh wait, that IS the new owner of Volvo...

I fully agree with you!!!! I have had different problems but that new car feeling went down the drain day 2, and is still there 3 months later. 2nd and last Volvo for me.

I agree with you totally. This was the first new car i have owned and cant wait to get rid. Wont be getting another volvo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just noticed this noise today after 7000ks of driving. Sure it's the springs? Sounds heavier in sound. Like a control arm or something.
Maybe it's the Heico springs so I won't bother complaining to Volvo because they will say the same thing.
I'm going to coilovers anyway.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well what can i say picked my car up. They have changed the drivers side strut on drop link. And even though intold them about the spring issue. They said they had no knowledge of such concerns. Drove the car home and guess what the rattling is still there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello my name is David, I live in Italy and I have a v40 d2 my2014.
my car has the same problem of noise front end. you have solved?
springs or steering column?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Mine was sorted by a different dealership, mine was a faulty steering rack. Supposedly there was a faulty batch fitted. Dealership showed me a video clip on there computer and asked me to tell me if a could hear a noise. Picked out the sound straight away. Once they replaced the steering rack noise has gone. That was about 6months ago still noise free

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Did you find the problem? I have a brand new V40CC 2016 with only 5000km that has the same noise! I need to know if the problem is "normal" as the dealer says!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a rattle on my dash, just a very quite one. Then I realised it was the rest of the keys that I had attached to the car key slightly tapping on the dash !!!!
I was also getting a slight banging noise when stopping quickly, turned out to be the clip on the back seatbelt banging on the side !!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,
Please what is the solutions?
I have changed complitly control arms with ball joints,stabiliser links,engine mount ...not helpd.

Its this noise -speed lower 20km/h -make really Spring? or steering rack?

Please help me, im invested to mach to suspension ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a noise coming from the front suspension, when driving over uneven surfaces (speeds lower than 40km/h), more when the car is going slowly downhill. Car has been 2 or 3 times back to Volvo, and they say they can see nothing wrong, and might be the cars characteristics.

Had a T4 for a few days while they had mine, and the suspension didn't make this same noise. I have been playing a bit with the steering force, and last night home to work this morning, had it on high, and the suspension felt much better and quieter, also stiffer (I know high makes it stiffer).

Is it the steering rack that gets adjusted or what, as it seems to me that the lower the settings, the more this "play" noise is coming through.
Hi!
Same problem here! :(
Volvo V40 CC, D4 Geartronic.
Do you find any solution? 3 mechanics saw the car and till now, no solution :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All!
I have changed all !
- only 2 pieces - coil Springs, and Schock absorbers i did not changed.

Changed- control arms with ball joints,stabiliser links,engine mounts all, drive shaft + Wheel bearing -right side,strut bearing - all new !!!!!!
Only stearing rack -to used from wrecked car - noise continues to exist! - its possible this used steering rack its also faulty and hat the same noise ?

Noise exist only to 20-30km/h - vibrating knocking sound only on the bad road Surface !

Service not found the fault!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Friends,
Im become dint Answer,at i have find a the solution- the *Steering rack" can be repaired cheaply - you must change this 3 Parts -(bushing, spring, cover) - ordered von Ford - its the same Volvo- Ford Focus III steering racks !
Tool- handmade from 21mm key
Ford order numbers:
6772170 - cover
6317116 - bushing (old Part -metal- new changed to this black-brown plastic)
3707496 - spring (to mild- changed to stronger)

MANY THANKS for ffclub.ru - russian kollegen respect!!!!!!!

i hope i helped!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just read the post. Unfortunately even in MY18 V40CC has the same issue (CLONK noise in the front wheels) when road surface is uneven. Has anyone found a solution...?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts