Volvo V40 Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

Registered
Having the same issue, been hearing it for a while, but it goes away after about 2km....which is strange. I am strating to think it has something to do with the shock absorber. I recently drove on a dirt road and the noise was much worse than before, so I will be replacing shocks soon, and report back.
Any luck?

Registered
So a update, @ 159 000km I think my front shocks are gone. Getting a load clunk when hard braking and accelerating and there is a bump. And there was oil on the shock. Just ordered my new front Bilsteins for sport suspension, as I have the sports pack....expensive stuff. So I should be giving some feedback after the weekend. There are marks on the strut bottom of the coil spring.....so it is catching.

Registered
Any and all noises are gone.

All I can say is WOW, this is a different car. You only realise how bad the suspension noises were now that there are non. It's quite a pleasure to drive. The whole driving experience is so much better on any surface. So I went with the Bilstein shocks as the dealers shocks are more expensive.

There is one problem with them, as the tube does not fully go down into the hub. There is a 3mm gap, that the originals do not have, but I took 3mm off the stopper, to get the tube to slide in and sit like the originals. So if you go for aftermarket, just beware of this.

Registered
I'm amazed that Bilstein would sell something that doesn't even fit (let alone that they would test the vehicle handling for suitability)

Registered
I was also dumb struck, been thinking of dropping them a mail, don't think it will help. But yeah, I was not happy with the gap left in the hub, there is a shock collar for a reason. But a quick mod fixed this.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts