Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, when I brake at very slow speeds (say, when parking slowly or when approaching a speed bump) I sometimes get a noise that comes from the front. Not sure if a noise coming from the brakes or the suspensión. This will happen both when going straight or with the wheel turned. Haven´t heard it when braking at speed.

Has anybody had this issue? Would it have to do with break-in from some of the parts?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi all, when I brake at very slow speeds (say, when parking slowly or when approaching a speed bump) I sometimes get a noise that comes from the front. Not sure if a noise coming from the brakes or the suspensión. This will happen both when going straight or with the wheel turned. Haven´t heard it when braking at speed.

Has anybody had this issue? Would it have to do with break-in from some of the parts?
you don't mention the type of noise? Grinding? Clunking ?

Grinding can sometimes be caused by dirt between the pad and the disc (hard material like a bit of metal). Check on your discs for any lines forming, that will be a give-away.

Clunking could be more serious. If you drive at a constant speed and lightly touch the pedal do you hear it ? Does it happen every time or only sometimes? If it's every time could be a loose caliper (I've not examined the V40 brakes so not sure exactly what to tell you to look for) / the housing of the assembly could be loose / loose bolt somewhere.

If it's really concerning, take it back to the dealer, let them take a look. You don't mention the age of your vehicle but I am guessing it's fairly new. It is probably under warranty and most dealers would happily let a mechanic take 5 minutes to listen to a potential safety issue without charging you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer.

Hard to describe the noise. I guess the best way to describe it, would be like a humming noise. Does not happen every time, and when it happens, it´s when I lightly touch the brake pedal but only at slow speeds (or at least haven´t heard it at higher speeds maybe due to road noise). It is a new car, only 730 kilometers on it. I guess safest thing would be to get the dealer look at it, but wanted to check if anyone else has encountered that issue.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Take it to the dealer, may be something to do with the servo ABS etc. it does not sound mechanical anyway (which would be easier to solve)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
hehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem, particularly in reverse parking. Very low pitched noise at very low speed. It's been to Volvo workshop five times already and it seems that they take apart the callipers, regrease them and a day or two later the same noise re-appears. I'm now at my wits end and its seems that Volvo technicians are also clueless as to what's causing this problem. Ironically, my brakes had to be replaced at 30000KM at the car was hardly a year old (brand new). Initially when I bought the car, there was noise when braking but more a high pitched dust noise (or that's what we thought).

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Mine also makes this braking noise, only at the last moment when the car comes to a full stop. Most of the time it is brake dust, I had it when I was braking in slow moving traffic, then you hear it every time, Volvo looked at it, quieter now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
well it seems I now too have this strange noise ... on both our V40s!

It happens mostly when reversing. It happened on Thursday at the dealer after we picked the V40CC up from a service. A technician nearby looked up so I asked him if he knew what it might be. He simply said not to worry about it, pretty normal. Not 20 seconds later I got into my car and in reverse made the exact same noise.

Not been able to reproduce it since though, forward or back ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a V40 and also when you reverse I hear this clank noise.
I am technician at Volvo shop but haven't checked it out yet.
Had customer in the other day with same noise. Sent to dealer as still warranty

·
Registered
166 Posts
Guys, might it be the hill lock function. It seems to sometimes shortly clamp the rear brakes and make a small noice when going into reverse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys, might it be the hill lock function. It seems to sometimes shortly clamp the rear brakes and make a small noice when going into reverse.
^ this

I have the same thing, but only when parking on a rough surface and only if I come to a complete stop, so I jumped to the same conclusion. You can also feel the brakes unclamping, as it feels the car is stuck for a split second when you engage the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts