Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

New to the forum and new-ish to V40 ownership (less than a year); hoping I’m putting this post in the right place but feel free to let me know if not.

I’ve a 2017 T2 R-Design Nav+ with less than 26,000 miles / 42,000kms on the clock. I’m the second owner, but the car has always been serviced on time by Volvo, so (hopefully) no issues there. Recently, I’ve started to notice a very slight (but noticeable, and irritating) vibration in the car. The vibration is throughout the car; I can feel it through the floor and seat squab, and even a little through the door card, steering wheel and gearstick. It’s not much, but it’s enough to be noticeable. This happens at most speeds and, since I’ve become aware of it, I think I’m also noticing it at idle now too (mostly when cold).

I recently had a Volvo dealer take a look at the car, who found a warped brake disc on the passenger side. My hopes of that fixing the problem were dashed when I drove the car after that work, however - the vibrating feeling is still there. I’ve put four new tyres on it (all Continental) and had the wheel balancing/alignment checked in the process, so no issues there either.

My next working theory is that the car might need a service (it’s not due until September 2021), and spark plugs might be the thing that needs to be changed. Any thoughts on what else to check? Is the theory of replacement plugs likely to be worth pursuing? Thanks!

GM

·
Registered
100 Posts
This could be totally unrelated of course, but I had a service recently on my T3 where spark plugs were replaced. The brand new spark plugs caused a horrible lumpy idle, and odd throttle response. Garage had to replace them again and then it started running smoothly.

If you're feeling vibrations when the car is stationary, you'd think it'd be something engine related...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This could be totally unrelated of course, but I had a service recently on my T3 where spark plugs were replaced. The brand new spark plugs caused a horrible lumpy idle, and odd throttle response. Garage had to replace them again and then it started running smoothly.

If you're feeling vibrations when the car is stationary, you'd think it'd be something engine related...
Thanks jwilco; that’s helpful to know. Definitely feels engine-related if it’s happening when stationary, although I initially thought balancing (and/or the harder ride on those 17s) was the culprit. I haven’t noticed any particularly weird or wonderful throttle response as yet - time will tell on that one.

Really appreciate the quick response.

GM

·
Registered
194 Posts
If it happens at idle then it's Engine/Gearbox.
But something that worsens with speed may be a wheel that's been bent on a pot hole.
I have also experienced a wheel balance problem from a poor machine. Both wheels on the rear axle were slightly out. Nearly imperceptible when the wheels were out of phase but when they both got in phase the seat was vibrating. Very difficult to find because they could be in phase down the same road at the same speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it happens at idle then it's Engine/Gearbox.
But something that worsens with speed may be a wheel that's been bent on a pot hole.
I have also experienced a wheel balance problem from a poor machine. Both wheels on the rear axle were slightly out. Nearly imperceptible when the wheels were out of phase but when they both got in phase the seat was vibrating. Very difficult to find because they could be in phase down the same road at the same speed.
Thanks @OldEngineer - that’s useful to know. Hoping it’s not the same wild goose chase you had to endure...

GM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone -

New to the forum and new-ish to V40 ownership (less than a year); hoping I’m putting this post in the right place but feel free to let me know if not.

I’ve a 2017 T2 R-Design Nav+ with less than 26,000 miles / 42,000kms on the clock. I’m the second owner, but the car has always been serviced on time by Volvo, so (hopefully) no issues there. Recently, I’ve started to notice a very slight (but noticeable, and irritating) vibration in the car. The vibration is throughout the car; I can feel it through the floor and seat squab, and even a little through the door card, steering wheel and gearstick. It’s not much, but it’s enough to be noticeable. This happens at most speeds and, since I’ve become aware of it, I think I’m also noticing it at idle now too (mostly when cold).

I recently had a Volvo dealer take a look at the car, who found a warped brake disc on the passenger side. My hopes of that fixing the problem were dashed when I drove the car after that work, however - the vibrating feeling is still there. I’ve put four new tyres on it (all Continental) and had the wheel balancing/alignment checked in the process, so no issues there either.

My next working theory is that the car might need a service (it’s not due until September 2021), and spark plugs might be the thing that needs to be changed. Any thoughts on what else to check? Is the theory of replacement plugs likely to be worth pursuing? Thanks!

GM
Hi GM, same issue here. Bought a 2014 V40 T4 cross country and I feel those vibrations when idle and at around 1100-1500rpm. I'm convinced it has to do with motor mounts. Will service it soon and if it gets fixed I'll let you know what the issue was!

cheers,
Fede

1 - 6 of 6 Posts