Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
V40 2016 R-design - Osmium Grey
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just bought a brand new Volvo V40 :love:. It's new for me, but actually bought it second hand.
My problem is that I can't figure out if my car is equipped with an alarm system or not:unsure:.

There is no visible signs (at least for my knowledge) between a V40 equipped with this security system or not. Everything just works in the same way (locking the doors, unlocking, visual feedback etc.)
Maybe it's a menu option somewhere for what I should look for, that is different for a car equipped with alarm?
I do want an alarm for my car, this is why is important for me. If it does not have, I will try to install an aftermarket one.

Please help me out with this problem.

Thank you!

·
Registered
287 Posts
1) Lock the car with the remote fob. Remove the cover cap from the nearside front door handle, and open the door with the mechanical key blade. If you have a factory alarm, it should activate when you open the door and can be cancelled by unlocking again with the remote fob or putting the key in the ignition slot and turning on the ignition.

2) Lower the driver's door window then lock the car with the remote fob. Put your arm into the cabin through the open window and wave it around vigorously. The alarm should activate and can be cancelled again as above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just came back from my car where I've tried both suggestions.
Both tests failed unfortunately. At least now I know that I should look for a solution to solve this problem.

Thank you very much for the info RS3100 !

·
Registered
524 Posts
When you lock your car, is there a flashing 'red' light, can't remmeber if this was on the driver's door side, or the middle of the dash near the glass? I actually never heard my alarm, but it did go off when my GF pressed the remote lock button when she was in the car and moved in the car. So that def works!

Reactions: Pystha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the suggestion KXL (y)
Indeed, there is a flashing red light in the middle of the dash and it's starting his job at the moment I lock the doors from the remote. The problem is that the same led is flashing even if your car don't have an alarm. In this later case, the car starts that signal to show you that the doors are closed (not necessary that is an alarm that is armed).
Unfortunately locking myself in the car and moving, doesn't triggered the alarm so my second thought was that it might be a simple alarm without proximity sensor and maybe this is why never triggered in such a situation.
Opening the door manually after locked with the FOB, clarifies everything.
Hopefully the dealer would be able to retrofit an alarm else I have to look for an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Your official Volvo dealer local to you ( in Hungary?) should be able to look up the build specification for your vehicle if you give them your VIN (chassis number).
If that is not possible then contact your Country specific Volvo Customer Services, explain your question and they should be able to locate the build sheet for the car or put you in trouch with an agent who can do that for you.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just didn't wanted to look plain stupid because I do not know such an obvious thing about my car (I still feel like that) 😊.
Finding this out by myself seemed a better idea.
It's a good idea after all because I have to contact them anyway if I need to retrofit the alarm to my car.
Thank you!

·
Registered
514 Posts
One way I set my alarm off was by locking the doors with the fob and waiting for the red light to start flashing, then (carefully) remove the plastic cap covering the emergency manual lock and the key blade unlock the door and then open it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately no alarm system by any means, however I have learned the following:
  • I have no alarm in my car 😔
  • how to check the V40 if it has a built in alarm system🤩
  • how to manually unlock the door in case of emergency :D
Thank you so much for everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe it's in low guard mode whatever the term is. See if you have these options in the car settings, it's should clarify if you have a alarm or not.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Amber Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
55 Posts
Simplest way to check of you have an alarm is to nudge the car whilst locked.
Also, look at the key fob. Like stated above, if there's a panic button on it, your car has an alarm.
Product Output device Font Gadget Electronic device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately I don't have that menu option in my settings.

I do have a working panic button but I am not sure if this means that I have an alarm to :unsure:. All the previous test failed, the single sign that I might have an alarm is this panic button but maybe this is a feature that comes stock with every fob.
Does anybody have a remote without the panic button?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have that menu option in my settings.

I do have a working panic button but I am not sure if this means that I have an alarm to :unsure:. All the previous test failed, the single sign that I might have an alarm is this panic button but maybe this is a feature that comes stock with every fob.
Does anybody have a remote without the panic button?
To be completely honest I thought the alarm came standard with every model, what year is yours and what trim and engine level do you have?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not all remotes have the panic button, but the panic button function has nothing to do with whether the car has an alarm system or not. The fob panic button activates the cars direction indicators and the standard horn. The factory alarm, if fitted, has a separate siren unit.

My car has the factory alarm. The sound from the siren if the alarm is activated is completely different from the repeated blasts of the vehicle horn activated by the panic button on the fob.

The reduced guard menu can also exist without an alarm if the car has factory deadlocks. Nearly all cars built to UK specification have factory deadlocks due to pressure from the UK insurance industry and police via the Thatcham vehicle security assessment, but vehicles intended to be sold in many other markets including the rest of Europe often don't have deadlocks unless ordered as an extra. The reduced guard function where no alarm is fitted simply disables the deadlocking.

Similarly, the red flashing LED at the top centre of the dashboard may exist whether the car has an alarm or not. For vehicles without an alarm, it simply indicates that all doors are locked.

The way to test if an alarm is present is as I described in post #2. A diagnostic check with an appropriate reader should also indicate if the alarm module is present on the vehicle or not, whilst interrogating the number and type of ECUs present on the car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To be completely honest I thought the alarm came standard with every model, what year is yours and what trim and engine level do you have?
It looks as if @Pystha is not in the UK. Most UK spec vehicles should have the alarm, as it is an easy way for Volvo to maximise their score under the Thatcham assessment and hence obtain the most favourable insurance group ratings for their models. In many other markets, it is a different matter and production costs come before other options.

The asterisk against the description and features of the alarm system in the vehicle owners handbook clearly indicates that it is an option/accessory rather than a standard fitting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe there's more people than we think that think they have an alarm but don't 🤔 think I will go and test mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
It's a bit complicated, I am not sure how this trim level is called...

It's a V40 2016 R design D2 Osmium Grey with the followings:
adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights with washers, heated seats and heated windscreen, Sensus navigation, phone, voice control, internet, media connectivity (with Bluetooth, USB, etc.), spear wheel (the narrow service one), electric + heated + folding mirrors (illuminated at the bottom), front doors illumination at floor level, cruise control, speed limiter, 18' alloy wheels, digital display, parking sensor with camera at rear, color changeable ambient lights, deadlock, tinted rear glass, sliding front armrest ..
VIN decoder shows me that it a Belgium made.
Maybe I missed something though

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a bit complicated, I am not sure how this trim level is called...

It's a V40 2016 R design D2 Osmium Grey with the followings:
adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights with washers, heated seats and heated windscreen, Sensus navigation, phone, voice control, internet, media connectivity (with Bluetooth, USB, etc.), spear wheel (the narrow service one), electric + heated + folding mirrors (illuminated at the bottom), front doors illumination at floor level, cruise control, speed limiter, 18' alloy wheels, digital display, parking sensor with camera at rear, color changeable ambient lights, deadlock..
VIN decoder shows me that it a Belgium made.
Maybe I missed something though
Seems well equipped so not sure why the alarm is missing, mine is also made in Belgium unless it's what RS3100 says.​

1 - 20 of 23 Posts