Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having waited a few weeks for my new company car to arrive, I was like a kid at Christmas yesterday when it finally arrived.

Black V40 D2 R Design

Have only driven it a few miles so far but OMG what a car! The seats are SO comfy and the ride and handling is spot on. Even though it's only a D2 (115hp) it pulls like a train and the acceleration feels similar to my 10 year old Rover 75 2.5 V6 which is a nice surprise.

I can only imagine what a D4 must feel like.

But with VERY low company car tax and looks that had everyone staring while I drove, I am a VERY happy bunny and looking forward to lots of miles ahead.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sounds like you are having fun, I have to say when I took my d4 in the dealer lent me a d3, or so I though it turned out to be a d2, they are real good around town etc.

Obviously on the motorway the d4 shows its nose a bit more but the d2 does feel like a capable car for 115bhp but that is due to the torque

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 days of ownership and I appear to have developed some kind of mental affliction.
Every time I get in the car I find I suddenly get this stupidly big smile on my face and a feeling of superiority over my fellow motorists that I know a secret they don't. Is this normal?

It's also nice that I haven't seen another V40 MY13 or 14 since I've been driving it. I did follow a W reg V40 home this evening but it looked like an 80s relic by comparison!

·
Registered
132 Posts
3 months in and I still grin like an idiot with my r design also a d2 but in red. I am also still really over protective and still park on the far side of the car park, walking is much better than having a ding. Haven't even let hubby drive it yet and it's officially his car... He did smash his shoulder just before we got it, when he recently resumed driving I relegated him to the xc70, much safer!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well I have a couple of other nice drivers are but the overall package of the v40 still means it is a nice place to be after 10 months, I filled it up today and I found myself staring at the spoiler and the shape of the rear screen with the clean sweep of the wiper showing up against the privacy glass..... Nice

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having washed the car by hand for the first time today (I can't be the only person who gets a buzz out of detailing a car?) I am now even more struck by the contours of this car. There are some very obvious curves (the "shoulders" which run from the rear light cluster right down the sides to the front headlights - how wide are they?!!) and some more subtle (the top of the front running light inserts is particularly sweet)...
It's little things like that which make the V40 stand out from the crowd.

Another nice feature I stumbled across today is that if the boot is not properly shut, the rear light clusters stay illuminated (even though the dashboard didn't alert me to it) took me a while to figure out why no amount of locking/unlocking/starting and stopping the engine would turn them off!

·
Registered
945 Posts
If the boot is not shut right the lines don't show up on the picture for the reversing camera either, we thought it was a fault with the camera at first.

Not sure about this detailing.........it is an over used americanism, most people who 'detail' just wash and polish their cars paint and use a clay bar and some spray occasionally.

I enjoy cleaning cars to a high standard (have the trophies to prove it). A quick ah is 3.5 hours and the inside/behind spokes as well as the faces of the wheels are cleaned every wash, I even do the silencer as it is on display.

I have to agree re the lines, the bonnet is great especially when I get the machine with 7" pads on it.

One thing I do do is on the 2nd layer of snow foam, clean the piano black bits (boot, b & C pillar trims, door mirror plinths, upper front grille and spoiler lips) first so less chance of catching/microscratching with a mit contaminated with dirt from neighbouring parts of the car

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the piano black sections on the door pillar and bottom of the rear window..... such a little thing but makes the car look stunning when parked next to it's inferior road-sharers ;)

And yes, I clean the silencer too (and polish the chrome exhausts)

As is typical with British weather, within 3 hours of finishing cleaning, polishing, hoovering and drooling (not literally!) over the car and getting it gleaming, it rained!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the piano black sections on the door pillar and bottom of the rear window..... such a little thing but makes the car look stunning when parked next to it's inferior road-sharers ;)

And yes, I clean the silencer too (and polish the chrome exhausts)

As is typical with British weather, within 3 hours of finishing cleaning, polishing, hoovering and drooling (not literally!) over the car and getting it gleaming, it rained!!
Not having a garage to store mine in, I have accepted the fact that once I clean, it will remain clean for no more than 1 hour. The rain gods will have their fun....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know what you mean. Wash the car every 2 weeks by hand and wont let anyone else do it as I don't want to get those 'swirl' mark all over the paint work. Don't clean silencer as it hidden behind rear valance, as I don't have twin tailpipes.

Side note. If you get stainless steel trims on the tailpipes very fine lime chalk brings the polished shine back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.