Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got experience with changing these lights?

I'd like to swap them for something a bit more crisp than the yellowy colour of the standard ones if a suitable replacement is available.

I had a quick look but not sure how they come out of the bumper.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. I've made myself look a muppet there :laugh:

Just checked and my MY13 is the same lol.

Thanks motmot, appreciate the quick reply!

Must be the yellow plate and red paint make the colour seem to change! :blush:

Anyway since we've established my eyes don't work, has anyone taken them out for any reason?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Ah. I've made myself look a muppet there :laugh:
Must be the yellow plate and red paint make the colour seem to change! :blush:

Anyway since we've established my eyes don't work, has anyone taken them out for any reason?
The LEDs Volvo use on the interior light units and number plate lightss are more of a warm white that the blue-tinted cold white you get form cheap white LEDs. Warm white LEDs cost more as they use a more complex blend of phosphors to absorb the light from the blue LED (as there's no such thing as a white LED- semiconductor diode junctions can only produce a single wavelength of light) and re-emit is as a broader spectrum of colours.

They are one of the lights that if they fail the manual tells you to take the car toa dealer to have replaced. Here's what they look like:

They are held into the bumper by those 2 sprung tangs. There's no access slot on the edges of front side to push a tool in to compress the tangs, which means you may have to remove the bumper to get them out. I can confirm that on VIDA later, but I suspect that's probably the case.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Has anyone got experience with changing these lights?

I'd like to swap them for something a bit more crisp than the yellowy colour of the standard ones if a suitable replacement is available.

I had a quick look but not sure how they come out of the bumper.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking at Buzby's pictures, you may get away with a Dremmel, cutting through near the edge, pull out the middle section, unclip the electrical contact, then get you fingers in to pull in the outer sprung tangs.

Reactions: Brigstowe

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of my number plates bulb has stopped working. Surely the whole bumper doesn't have to be removed to replace bulb? Does anyone know the bulb type, so I can order replacement...thanks.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
502 Posts
One of my number plates bulb has stopped working. Surely the whole bumper doesn't have to be removed to replace bulb? Does anyone know the bulb type, so I can order replacement...thanks.
as above, they are an LED unit, in theory should out last the car... bumper removal is simple enough, torx around the arch, the 2 rubber lid absorbers and in an ideal world of having an assistant off she comes :giggle: You could stuff something very thin up the side of the lamps, old knife maybe but risk damaging the bumper (probably never see it...)

·
Registered
120 Posts
as above, they are an LED unit, in theory should out last the car... bumper removal is simple enough, torx around the arch, the 2 rubber lid absorbers and in an ideal world of having an assistant off she comes :giggle: You could stuff something very thin up the side of the lamps, old knife maybe but risk damaging the bumper (probably never see it...)
..and if you going to remove the bumper, I'd suggest replacing both bulbs.

·
Registered
882 Posts
On my 2016 they are a crisp white LED, that's how they were from buying the car new .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts