Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and Volvo. Looking at the front of the car I can see that the clearance between bonnet and front side wings seems odd and uneven, not properly aligned (see attached pics). There are also gaps between grill and headlamps. Now, this may be within the “normal” tolerance for a Volvo but it could also be a sign of something more sinister.

Is this normal and do you have the same on your cars?

Thanks and best,
Mario

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
Does look odd, might be a simple bolt on repair there with nothing to worry about, but the wing to bonnet near screen is off. have a look for the volvo stamp on the wing edge, look at bolts holding bonnet to hinge for tamper marks, does it still have the castrol sticker and fan warning on the bumper, take the head lights out check for new plastic brackets and date codes, any sign of dealer part labels, new cooling pipes, new rad's, feel the edge of panels and check for rubbing lines, at night under street lights are the wings slightly different to the doors, theres a lot of tell tales you can see, some are well hidden though!! of course, there could be a repair with used parts which might throw the date code idea off track.... if concerned, drop into a local body shop, they're often keen to give you an opinion especially if it is critical of other folks work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks. This is really helpful. I have already booked the car in for an inspection at my local (trusted) independent garage.

Luckily, I can still cancel the contract with the dealer as the car was delivered and sold remotely (I am one of those people who still have to stay away from the crowds). Incidentally, they told me it never had any accident or major repairs and was not expecting this.

Well, I will report the outcome.

Good evening.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
best of luck Mario, if unsure please shout out. could be innocent, but early signs in the pics suggest a little more than a car park scrape to the bumper and wing. (from someone who spent a decade supplying bodyshops)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Many thanks. This is really helpful. I have already booked the car in for an inspection at my local (trusted) independent garage.

Luckily, I can still cancel the contract with the dealer as the car was delivered and sold remotely (I am one of those people who still have to stay away from the crowds). Incidentally, they told me it never had any accident or major repairs and was not expecting this.

Well, I will report the outcome.

Good evening.
Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It doesn't address all your problems but the front bumper can become misaligned by catching it on a high kerb when parking.

Reactions: Mario B

·
Registered
16 Posts
Noticed after getting an MOT done that mine was similar. Turned out it was simply the cover that slots over battery wasn't fit properly and was pushing the bonnet up.

Maybe the bonnet was forced shut with something in its way at some point and bent it slightly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts