Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi just had mine go the same, we contacted our local Volvo garage, Volvo have a Policy they will pay 50% of the cost in our case 155 UKP, towards the bill, it only applies to cars under 4 years old but ours was 5 but we did get the part payment as our car had done less than 31000 miles, as I don't know the age or mileage of your car, I would still contact them to see if your car is eligible and you can get the discount, My wife contacted Volvo UK direct asking why this very common problem id not a recall,but got no joy out of them ,

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi just had mine go the same, we contacted our local Volvo garage, Volvo have a Policy they will pay 50% of the cost in our case 155 UKP, towards the bill, it only applies to cars under 4 years old but ours was 5 but we did get the part payment as our car had done less than 31000 miles, as I don't know the age or mileage of your car, I would still contact them to see if your car is eligible and you can get the discount, My wife contacted Volvo UK direct asking why this very common problem id not a recall,but got no joy out of them ,
Pleased you got yours sorted ,mine is 7yrs old now so im just going to get a new lock mechanism, the door sometimes opens so hopefully it will be no problem when the parts arrive

· Registered
23 Posts
Had the same problem on my MY2013 yesterday. Rear door driver-side not possible to open from outside or inside. Door locks/unlocks when pressing the keyfob, but cant open door. For a while now upon this point, the keyless-sensor in this door have been a bit sluggish, and not always responds to touching the doorhandle, so I think the reason for this problem is because I managed to get the mechanism stuck when pulling the handle before the sensors actually had registrered the touch and unlocked the door, kindof "in the middle" of the unlocking process..

Anyway, googled a bit and found that it should be possible to take the door cover off whithout damaging it. Found this picture-guide helpfull:

Tok the B-pillar cover off first, and pulled the gasket aside. Was a bit fiddly to get the front screw out because little clearance, but its only screwed into a plastic piece, so with a T25 torx-bit, and needle pliers i got it out:

Then its jsut two more T25 screws under the handle:

Pick out the window button and disconnect cable. Lift door cover upwards to release. With door-cover now off, disconnect tweeter-speaker cable and door handle pull-wire and put doorcover aside.

By removing the grey rubber gasket in the whole where the pull-wire goes trough, i then poked around onto the locking mechanism in there. You need a torch to see. Suddently i heard a "click" and the release mechanism snappen back into place. Now I could open the door again both from inside and outside.

WhenI first had the doorcover off, and the door open, i also took off the outer doorhandle. (See this video on youtube how:
) I found some corrosion in the cableconnector, which probably is the cause for bad operation/sensors not registering touch. I cleaned it out propertly. I also lubricated door-lock with WD40 (with a straw) anywhere I could access, and put everything back togheter. Door now locks/unlocks and open/closes smooth. Also the touch-sensors in doorhandle now respons quick from touch.

Hopefully this problem wont come back now (on this door at least). I also will be a bit more carefull, making sure the door is completely unlocked before yanking hard on the door handle ;) Took me about an hour, but atleast it didnt cost me anything to sort out :)

Good luck(y)

· Registered
1 Posts
The missus basically did this to mine a couple of days ago just before it's due it's MOT... Volvo just quoted me £450 to get it sorted (had the locks replaced 3 and a half years ago). Obviously, immediate MOT failure with the door not being able to unlock but hopefully following your guide I can fix it.

Did you feel any pressure what so ever when you attempted to move the door handle? Did you have to get the door open some how to access any of the screws?

Thanks in advance

· Registered
23 Posts
Outer handle had none resistance, when the door/lock was stuck. Inner handle had some resistance half the way out, and then felt like something was «skipping». Inner doorcover can be removed with door shut. Outer door handle can not be removed without opening the door. So first mission is to get the door open?

· Registered
11 Posts
I've had both of my rear locks fail now, volvo picked up 50% of the cost on the first but wouldn't pay for the second as I was just over the 5 years old mark. It's awful that they've got off so lightly for such a widespread issue.

· Registered
1 Posts
Had this issue for years on my Volvo V40 2013 . Rear doors intermittently failing. These were replaced some years ago by Volvo under warranty but still they would fail intermittently after repair but only after a while and never at the same time. Now out of warranty.. Volvo now say after consideration and looking into the history of your car.. Volvo would not offer any goodwill gesture or help with the costs of this fault because I didn't take it to Volvo for a yearly service.. Therefore because I never gave them money every year for a service is their reply ??? For me that's a 40 min drive to my nearest Volvo garage. Instead I took my car every year to a VOLVO APPROVED garage just up the hill from where I stay.. why.. It's much closer and walking distance. And it was cheaper.. It's a no brainer.. with full service history but Volvo don't care.. their reply was because I never gave them more money every year they would not offer any goodwill gesture. They said if I took it for a service they would have helped towards the cost with regards to their own manufacturing defective mechanism which is very clear has always been an issue but expect the customer to pay for their own inability to fix their own defect out of their own pocket. What a poor reply.. they would have helped of I gave them money every year for a service.. I'll post this kind of reply they sent on social networking sites and let it be known how this huge company is operating in these Rona times . That response is a lack of professionalism and not what you should expect from a company like Volvo.. really poor.. repair costs word by another garage is just over£300 before vat for each door.. why should I pay for their own mistakes in design.. cowboy mechanism used to cut costs and now expect their customers to pay.

· Registered
5 Posts
This has just happened on my v40 rear offside door too. Volvo dealer quoted me £400 for a new lock and Volvo won’t offer any goodwill gesture on my 7 year old, 58k mile car. Thanks for the photos @stbo this will certainly help me try and fix this myself. I’ve got the part number to replace the lock (31440394) but I don’t know if there’s a newer/ revised version that would be better to get? I have seen this part on eBay for about £70, so may just try that.

· Registered
23 Posts
This has just happened on my v40 rear offside door too. Volvo dealer quoted me £400 for a new lock and Volvo won’t offer any goodwill gesture on my 7 year old, 58k mile car. Thanks for the photos @stbo this will certainly help me try and fix this myself. I’ve got the part number to replace the lock (31440394) but I don’t know if there’s a newer/ revised version that would be better to get? I have seen this part on eBay for about £70, so may just try that.
I would suggest you give it a try first without replacing the lock. Pull the inner doorcover and see if you can manage to get it unstuck and open the door. All I did was lubricate the lock when i first got the door open, then put eveything back together. The problem has not re occured for now almost two years with daily use =)

Anyways, best of luck either way if you decide to go for a lock change. Sorry I don't have any advice on the parts-number.

· Registered
5 Posts
I would suggest you give it a try first without replacing the lock. Pull the inner doorcover and see if you can manage to get it unstuck and open the door. All I did was lubricate the lock when i first got the door open, then put eveything back together. The problem has not re occured for now almost two years with daily use =)

Anyways, best of luck either way if you decide to go for a lock change. Sorry I don't have any advice on the parts-number.
Thanks, I’ll definitely remove the door card to try and fix it first. Good to hear it’s not occurred for you in 2 years!
Cheers

· Registered
5 Posts
I’ve finally got round to taking a look at this and I’m stuck after a few minutes in!! 😂
The bolt at the top of the trim on the side of the door panel seems impossible to get a screw driver too. I’ve removed the panel on the b pillar only to find the car frame is too wide to get a screwdriver into the screw head. (See photo). Does anyone have any ideas on how to get to this bolt please?! It’s a 2014 one.
I’m gonna have to put it all back together as the 1hr job has suddenly become much longer 😂
Thanks
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive side-view mirror Automotive design

Attachments

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello Stbo, can you explain how you find the right metal thing in the door to open the door again? you said that you are using a scewdriver to do that, but i have no idea what i have to push. thanks in advance
Had the same problem on my MY2013 yesterday. Rear door driver-side not possible to open from outside or inside. Door locks/unlocks when pressing the keyfob, but cant open door. For a while now upon this point, the keyless-sensor in this door have been a bit sluggish, and not always responds to touching the doorhandle, so I think the reason for this problem is because I managed to get the mechanism stuck when pulling the handle before the sensors actually had registrered the touch and unlocked the door, kindof "in the middle" of the unlocking process.. Anyway, googled a bit and found that it should be possible to take the door cover off whithout damaging it. Found this picture-guide helpfull: Tok the B-pillar cover off first, and pulled the gasket aside. Was a bit fiddly to get the front screw out because little clearance, but its only screwed into a plastic piece, so with a T25 torx-bit, and needle pliers i got it out: View attachment 16710 Then its jsut two more T25 screws under the handle: View attachment 16711 Pick out the window button and disconnect cable. Lift door cover upwards to release. With door-cover now off, disconnect tweeter-speaker cable and door handle pull-wire and put doorcover aside. View attachment 16712 By removing the grey rubber gasket in the whole where the pull-wire goes trough, i then poked around onto the locking mechanism in there. You need a torch to see. Suddently i heard a "click" and the release mechanism snappen back into place. Now I could open the door again both from inside and outside. WhenI first had the doorcover off, and the door open, i also took off the outer doorhandle. (See this video on youtube how:
) I found some corrosion in the cableconnector, which probably is the cause for bad operation/sensors not registering touch. I cleaned it out propertly. I also lubricated door-lock with WD40 (with a straw) anywhere I could access, and put everything back togheter. Door now locks/unlocks and open/closes smooth. Also the touch-sensors in doorhandle now respons quick from touch. Hopefully this problem wont come back now (on this door at least). I also will be a bit more carefull, making sure the door is completely unlocked before yanking hard on the door handle ;) Took me about an hour, but atleast it didnt cost me anything to sort out :) Good luck(y)

· Registered
23 Posts
Hello Stbo, can you explain how you find the right metal thing in the door to open the door again? you said that you are using a scewdriver to do that, but i have no idea what i have to push. thanks in advance
Unfortunately you can't see inside the door where the mechanism is (unless you have an inspection camera or such). I was just poking around with a screewdriver and "knocked" it onto the lock mechanism blindly, and some how i heard a "click" and it was unstuck. Maybe i was just lucky..😅

1 - 18 of 18 Posts