Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I changed oil in my V40 T2 (2014, 1.6 L, 88 kW) recently and I used Castrol Magnatec oil and Mahle oil filter.

It is stated in manual that capacity is 4.1 L.
I have put 4 L in total; I was using 1 L cans so I am sure that there is exactly 4 L of oil inside of my engine.

However, now the oil level is little bit above v-shaped notch on the dipstick, or to be precise, it is on "X" of the sign "MAX".
The car has been run after oil change so the filter is definitely full of oil.

Another interesting thing is that until now I have been using original Volvo oil and Volvo filters and I did not have this problem.
Every time I would put exactly 4 L and it was always on the v-shaped notch which represents MAX level.

So is there anyone who had the same problem?
Is it possible that this happened due to different filter manufacturer?
Should I drain it a bit or is it fine to run the engine like this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Depends how far above Max it is filled. A couple of mm won't make any difference, but if 5mm or more then best to drain a bit IMO. Max isn't a target to aim for, always best to top up to slightly below, or even midway between Min and Max unless you know your engine is using a lot of oil.

It could be that the filter has a slightly lower capacity, that the oil cans have slightly more than 1 litre in them, or both.

There is always some old oil left in the engine after draining it too, which needs top be taken into account when refilling. I have never owned a car or van that could take the specified oil capacity following an oil change without being overfilled.

I always measure the amount of oil I put in with a graduated jug, not rely on the bottles. Fill up to 0.5 litre less than the stated capacity, run the engine a couple of minutes to fill the filter and check for leaks, then leave to cool and allow the oil to run back to the sump. If necessary, you can then add more oil 0.1 litre at a time, but to be honest if it is midway on the dipstick or more, I wouldn't add any extra unless as I said, you know it's losing oil regularly.

As long as the oil is anywhere between Min and Max, it makes absolutely no difference to the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you RS3100 for your answer.

Today I have drained little bit of oil - to be precise it was exactly 0.2 L.
Now the indication is exactly on the MAX notch.

0.2 L is little bit too much, so do you still believe that this can be a result of different filter and oil?

I know that Mahle usually makes lower capacity filters in comparation with original ones, but 0.2 L looks too much to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you RS3100 for your answer.

Today I have drained little bit of oil - to be precise it was exactly 0.2 L.
Now the indication is exactly on the MAX notch.

0.2 L is little bit too much, so do you still believe that this can be a result of different filter and oil?

I know that Mahle usually makes lower capacity filters in comparation with original ones, but 0.2 L looks too much to me.
Hard to say whether it's just the filter. There could have been slightly more oil in the canister than 5.0 litres, not unknown and they will aim to fill slightly over capacity rather than under.

But as I said before, you can never drain every last drop of oil out of the engine through the sump plug, so there may have been a little more still in the engine than you thought. From what I've seen posted by Volvo techs on various forums, VEA diesels are filled with 0.2 litres less than stated capacity on oil changes. I recently changed the oil in my VEA petrol and, after measuring precisely what I drained out, I refilled it to 0.3 litres less than stated capacity which brought it to the same level as after the previous dealer service.

It's important that the oil level is somewhere in the range between minimum and maximum levels and as long as it is anywhere in that range, it will make no difference to engine operation, protection or performance. The maximum mark is not a target to aim at unless you know that your engine uses a lot of oil, so you need to top it up regularly between services and you want to extend the top-up intervals as much as possible ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to say whether it's just the filter. There could have been slightly more oil in the canister than 5.0 litres, not unknown and they will aim to fill slightly over capacity rather than under.

But as I said before, you can never drain every last drop of oil out of the engine through the sump plug, so there may have been a little more still in the engine than you thought. From what I've seen posted by Volvo techs on various forums, VEA diesels are filled with 0.2 litres less than stated capacity on oil changes. I recently changed the oil in my VEA petrol and, after measuring precisely what I drained out, I refilled it to 0.3 litres less than stated capacity which brought it to the same level as after the previous dealer service.

It's important that the oil level is somewhere in the range between minimum and maximum levels and as long as it is anywhere in that range, it will make no difference to engine operation, protection or performance. The maximum mark is not a target to aim at unless you know that your engine uses a lot of oil, so you need to top it up regularly between services and you want to extend the top-up intervals as much as possible ;)
Thank you one more time for the answer. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys

My V40 D4 got its fresh oil about 4500 km ago and yesterday "low oil level, add 0.5l" message appeared on the screen. I've acknowledged the message and continue to drive. When I got home I've checked the oil level (I think I have only the lame digital gauge) and I see the screen on the picture. Can someone tell me what to do now? Should I add some oil? How much then? There is no visible leakage or any suspicious condition. Thanks for any suggestion.
Cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
You could add half a litre, as the message told you to, and see if the warning goes away and the level returns to OK.

If you have an android phone, I'd recommend getting a cheap ELM OBD dongle and the Car Scanner Pro app, which will let you see the oil level in millimetres via the sump level sensor. Next time you have the oil changed, you can then obtain a baseline measurement, then if you get a similar warning in future, you can see if and by how much the oil level has decreased from the baseline and top it up accordingly.

Unfortunately that's how things are without a physical dipstick, which has to be one of the worst decisions car designers have ever made IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts