Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, few months ago I bought V40 D3 (2015) with 4 cylinder D3. And now I'm starting to doubt my decision to buy a 4 cylinder and that I should wait for a model with a 5-cylinder D3 engine. So I want to ask you, is it a really big / noticeable difference between 4 and 5 cylinders D3? Is there a disadvantage of old D3 versus new one?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the 5 cylinder. It is remarkably smooth, like a 6 cylinder engine, because the fifth cylinder means there is always a cylinder on a power stroke, unlike a four where there is a brief pause when the pistons are at top and bottom.
It pulls like a train right up to over 200kph on the autobahn, yet is very frugal if you drive it like a nun. The best of both worlds for me.

The D4 has counterbalance stuff underneath to smooth it but I've seen complaints of a strange noise from that mechanism posted on here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never listened or driven the 4 pot D3 but my 5 pot D3 reminds me of my V6 Audi A6 in terms of noise and not sounding like a tractor.

I believe but may be wrong that the 5 pot has more Nm of torque? 350 vs 320

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

During summer 2016 I had the same question when I bought my V40.
Points that lead me to find a 5 cylinders are the followings:
- More torque,
- Engine sound

- Third generation of this engine (start in 2001) so, issues were known and fix during revision.

On the other side, a big advantage on 4 cylinders is that he "drinks" less !!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, the D3 motor on mine has that very evident Diesel clatter. and I do feel the vibrations in steering so its definitely not whisper quiet like a Petrol Motor. The sales person did tell me this that it was normal for the Diesel V40s when I took the first test drive. I do wish it was a bit more quiet though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@vjaybox the sound of the 4 cylinder reminds me of a boat engine but it’s not that unpleasant really just something to get used to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah agreed. I too got used to it quickly - plus I actually listen to music usually when I drive and the Harman Kardon system is really good - so the engine sound doesnt really become an issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never had the chance to drive the 4-cylinder D3 or D4, but I love my 5-cylinder D3. Like hullu said, it pulls like a train and sounds awesome, I never thought that's possible with a diesel engine with only 2 litres of displacement. Actually it sounds just like "more" of a bigger engine with bigger displacement and more like 250 hp than 150.. It's a unique engine in this class and I love the combination of that "big engine" feeling with a certain type of sportyness and good fuel economy. This applies for the manual gearbox but especially for the Geartronic version that I'm driving now.

But, why are you in doubt? Did you have a comparison of old vs new, or what's bothering you with the VEA D3? On paper, the new engine is better in every respect, less pollution, better fuel economy... For me the old engine (which is actually also sold in marine configurations up to 220 hp!) just feels bigger and better and fit's the V40's unique character perfectly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never had the chance to drive the 4-cylinder D3 or D4, but I love my 5-cylinder D3. Like hullu said, it pulls like a train and sounds awesome, I never thought that's possible with a diesel engine with only 2 litres of displacement. Actually it sounds just like "more" of a bigger engine with bigger displacement and more like 250 hp than 150.. It's a unique engine in this class and I love the combination of that "big engine" feeling with a certain type of sportyness and good fuel economy. This applies for the manual gearbox but especially for the Geartronic version that I'm driving now.

But, why are you in doubt? Did you have a comparison of old vs new, or what's bothering you with the VEA D3? On paper, the new engine is better in every respect, less pollution, better fuel economy... For me the old engine (which is actually also sold in marine configurations up to 220 hp!) just feels bigger and better and fit's the V40's unique character perfectly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What do you think, how reliable is that 4-cylinder D3 compared to 5-cylinder? I am thinking to buy second hand V40, and I would rather buy newer model, e.g. 2013 might be too old. But of course I would rather buy more reliable motor, if it is significant difference.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Only time will tell with the new 4 cylinder, judging from owner's comments on here there are teething issues with the new engine.
Sadly Volvo policy seems to be, fix individual engines under guarantee as they fail or if the owner is clued-up, rather than recalling the lot.

We've seen this policy with door locks too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did 40,000 miles with the old 5 cyl D4 - 6 speed auto - Rock Solid.
I now have done 10,000 with the 4cyl D4 - 8 speed auto - Quieter, possibly 2-4 MPG better, better on acceleration, so far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just over 74000 miles on my 2013 D3 now. Owned for 2 1/2 years and can say by far the best car I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Nothing has ever failed or gone wrong and I'm getting 53 mpg on average in mixed driving. What's not to like!

·
Registered
197 Posts
D3, 5 cylinder...remapped, dpf and speed limiter removed, 30 000km back, almost on 150 000 km. The sound of the engine when driving is still as awesome as day one, and I have pushed the car to 232 with ease...

One of the best car's I have ever had, not looking forward to the day I have to let go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, few months ago I bought V40 D3 (2015) with 4 cylinder D3. And now I'm starting to doubt my decision to buy a 4 cylinder and that I should wait for a model with a 5-cylinder D3 engine. So I want to ask you, is it a really big / noticeable difference between 4 and 5 cylinders D3? Is there a disadvantage of old D3 versus new one?
I have just purchased a second hand 2013 V40 D3. How do I know whether it has a 4 cyl or 5 cyl engine?
Also, I can't find the oil level dipstick. Should it have one?
Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 2013 is likely to be the 5 cylinder. I believe the 4 cylinder models started late 2014. Mine is an early 2014 model.

On mine it has an electronic dipstick - you can see it on the screen greyed out but can only access it with the car powered up but engine not started:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have just purchased a second hand 2013 V40 D3. How do I know whether it has a 4 cyl or 5 cyl engine?
You know it when you drive a more modern D3. The old diesels had a remarkably smooth and pleasant noise for a diesel. No comparison to a 4 cylinder. But that matters only if you care about such things. For most people, diesel = diesel, for me the sound of the old 5-pot put a smile on my face every time i drove it...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts