Volvo V40 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Volvo v40 D3 Cross Country (Automatic)
16 Posts
Hi All,

How can I find out if my V40 CC (late 2016) has 4 or 5 cylinders?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Switch over was mid 2014 I believe.

Mine is a March 14 car with the 5 cylinder, I think they switched to the 4 cylinders later that year.

·
Registered
Volvo v40 D3 Cross Country (Automatic)
16 Posts
I found out its 4 cylinders.
And I guess this is the date of production (from the belt):

·
Registered
2 Posts
DBR
I've had my V40 D3 5 cylinder from new with 55000mls and thinking of upgrading to the V60 D3/D4 with the 4 cylinder but having 2nd thoughts from the posts made,but still undecided on upgrading, may go for the petrol T5 what do you think, this is the 1st diesel car i've had and find the smooth power is pretty good and quiet, pulls like a train.
With the comments supplied with regards the 4/5 the 5cylinder seems the best choice, but what do you do if you want to upgrade!

·
Registered
109 Posts
DBR
I've had my V40 D3 5 cylinder from new with 55000mls and thinking of upgrading to the V60 D3/D4 with the 4 cylinder but having 2nd thoughts from the posts made,but still undecided on upgrading, may go for the petrol T5 what do you think, this is the 1st diesel car i've had and find the smooth power is pretty good and quiet, pulls like a train.
With the comments supplied with regards the 4/5 the 5cylinder seems the best choice, but what do you do if you want to upgrade!
Our V60 2.0 litre D3 (VEA) is a great engine, I think it's at about 57,000 miles, 4 year old. It accelerates smoothly and can cope with a full load. On the other hand we had a new S60 T5 as a courtesy car and it was obviously more powerful. Why not try them both?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you're thinking about switching to a T5, in my opinion the old 5-cylinder T5 is far superior to the newer 4-pot. This is such an emotional beast with a phenomenal sound and yet so smooth and elegant... and it's quicker than the newer T5 as well.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic
7 Posts
I love 5 cylinder engines.
I've owned an S40 D5, XC70 2.5T, XC60 D5 and now my V40 D3.

We sold our XC60 D5 AWD for a 2016 XC60 D4 4cyl and whilst the D4 is a great engine, excellent power, very good economy, it just doesn't have the low down oomph or character of the D5 (or the D3 for that matter). Also I find the 8 speed auto is sometimes a bit dim-witted.

I did some spirited driving my V40 D3 in sport mode and it really does stir something in the soul.

Also whilst there are no known horror stories with the 4 cylinders, the 5 cyl engines are known to run for ever.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If the 5 cylinder is that good why did Volvo change it, could not be immisions as mine only have £30.00 VED.
The reason is emissions and Volvo chose to develop one engine block that can be used for both petrol and diesel engines from 120 to far over 300 hp. It's what all other manufacturers do: downsizing, complex turbocharging, etc. to get more power out of smaller engines.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love 5 cylinder engines.
I've owned an S40 D5, XC70 2.5T, XC60 D5 and now my V40 D3.

We sold our XC60 D5 AWD for a 2016 XC60 D4 4cyl and whilst the D4 is a great engine, excellent power, very good economy, it just doesn't have the low down oomph or character of the D5 (or the D3 for that matter). Also I find the 8 speed auto is sometimes a bit dim-witted.

I did some spirited driving my V40 D3 in sport mode and it really does stir something in the soul.

Also whilst there are no known horror stories with the 4 cylinders, the 5 cyl engines are known to run for ever.
could not say it better! It's not a question of economy and reason, more of taste and soul. Some love it, some don't care about such things. Both is perfectly understandable... The D3/D4 with 5 pots is a unique engine in this class, there is no other compact car that sounds and drives similar, in my opinion.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts