Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So following a test drive yesterday, it looks like I might be switching from SEAT to Volvo soon. Not having owned a Volvo before, what should I be looking at on the options list?

Spec is currently looking like this:

V40 Cross-Country Lux Nav

D4 Manual - Tested a D3 auto this weekend, and booked in to try the D4 next week. In terms of power and torque the D3 is similar to my current 2.0 TDI Leon, although the V40 is carrying an extra 200kg kerb weight and felt a little sluggish in comparison (auto gearbox probably didn't help matters). Has anyone else tried the new D4 against current VW Group offerings?

Colour - the dealer's showroom V40CC looks the business - Bright Silver with 19" black wheels. I'm looking for more comfort to replace my current setup though (18" wheels + Leon FR suspension = not good with back problems), so probably looking to stick with the dark grey 17's. Are there any good photos out there that compare the Bright and Electric silvers?

Options - Xenium pack, spare wheel, adjustable steering force, TFT display and flexible load floor. Is there anything here that isn't worth it, or anything else that I should be looking to add?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I drive both a mk7 Golf TDI with the 2.0 150hp unit and my own car the V40 rdesign with the new D4. The D4 obviously being 188hp is better, I do find the gears quite tall, it does pull well from 1300rpm in all gears with a surge around 2000rpm.
Compared to the 2.0 187hp unit found in the VW GTD which I only test drove briefly it from memory is comparable but it did feel a little more responsive/quicker probably due to the gearing of the GTD?

The D4 is more fuel efficient, my D4 currently is achieving around 50mpg driven normally as in yes I am putting my foot down, the Mk7 Golf we have is achieving 55mpg on average with more miles on the clock, so I hope my D4 will achieve the same once a little more run in. Not bad for a car with almost 40hp more.

As for the options, I love the Xenium pack be warned the panoramic window does reduce the headroom in the back slightly for tall passengers, a small price to pay in my opinion.
If you have a bad back like me, maybe go for the winter pack to get the heated seats, this is very important for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Arb - My Leon has the same 150hp engine as used in the mk7, so a useful comparison :)

How do you find the two engines in terms of refinement? I find the TDI a little too loud sometimes, and get quite a bit of vibration from it. I'm guessing the Golf might be a little quieter and smoother than the Leon anyway, but the D3 seemed to put a lot of petrol engines to shame too. Hopefully the D4 doesn't suffer too much without the extra cylinder?

Good to hear that the D4 delivers the fuel economy too - the TDI usually gives me 50-55mpg, with low 60's on long motorway runs. Sounds like the extra 10 litres of the V40's fuel tank should return some good range.

I'm not too concerned about losing a bit of headroom for the sunroof - the Leon is a 3dr, so anything would be an improvement for passengers. Who cares about them, anyway... One thing I've noticed on other cars though, is that panoramic roofs can make them a bit of a greenhouse on a sunny day - have you noticed anything like this?

The winter pack was another one I had considered - how effective do you find the heated windscreen? I've driven a few Fords where it works a treat, although the elements can be quite visible in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My last car an X-Trail had a large panoramic sunroof I used to keep the shutter blind closed all the time as in the summer with black leather! it can get pretty toasty, that was clear glass though. The V40 has a very dark glass and seems to keep unwanted heat and glare out, I only got it in October and with the nice days we've had it's been fine, time will tell in the heat of summer, at least it has a blind to close if needed.

The heated windscreen elements are visible for me they do not obscure my vision and really only noticeable in certain light conditions, it's a bit of a novelty for me and I think it's cool, and it deffinetly was cool today being the first time I used the feature an almost instantaneous clear windscreen BOOM, no more peering through that ever expanding clear patch at the bottom of the screen until the heater warms up for me.

Will yours come with an auto dimming rear view mirror? Mine apparently did not as standard which I think is a poor show from Volvo so maybe worth adding.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Forgot to mention about engine refinement, the D4 is a little gruff on idle even when warm, and as Diesel engines go it's very smooth when working through the gears and at cruising speed. The Golf is also very smooth just not as gutsy, one thing I do notice between my Volvo and my partners Golf is road noise from the tyres, my V40 is noticeably quieter (I'm on 17" rims as standard, personally felt the 18" rims were not a noticeable upgrade to the look of the car) It is a hatchback though so tyre noise is still there.

Engines can vary, I test drove 6 X-Trails all 2004-2005 year with same 2.2DCI engine they were all subtly different, some were gruff with noticeable vibration, others smooth, what this can be attributed to is a whole topic to itself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I was the one sat outside at 6am today waiting for the windscreen to not clear. Looks like the winter pack might be a worthwhile option.

Auto-dimming mirror - I have it on the Leon as part of the pack that brought auto lights and wipers, but to be honest have only used it once in more than a year. Probably wouldn't bother paying extra for one if it isn't standard (don't know if it is though).

Sunroof - I've only ever had one on hire cars, so never had to live with it. As you say though, the blind is there. It's always been an eye-catching feature when I've had one, so maybe time to get one for myself. From the pictures I've seen, it looks a good size to get the full effect.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The black glass roof is forgettable when driving, it only really benefits rear seat passengers, although I have to say it does look good from the outside :thumbup:

Reactions: DarrenCC

·
Registered
771 Posts
Auto-dimming mirror

Auto-dimming mirror
Hi Having had one on the vw scirocco, it really is one thing I miss and should have been standard on the lux, we do have privacy glass so that cuts the dazzle some amount and is kind of a better option as to price value :)

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all :) A few more questions:

I've read a few things about the ability to remotely send destinations to the car's sat nav - Does this require Volvo On Call?

Tyre pressure monitoring - the salesman told me that it is a standard feature, but I can't find anything in writing that says so. Can anyone confirm?

Are the diesel engines much more responsive with the manual gearbox as opposed to auto? My insurer won't touch a D4 for some reason, so I would have to either settle for D3 or sacrifice a few months of no-claims and go elsewhere. The D3 auto I tested felt a little sluggish for what the power and torque figures suggested, though.

Typically, how lenient are Volvo dealers when it comes to negotiations? In other words, would they take kindly to me turning up tomorrow with a quote in-hand from a broker that knocks £5,100 off the RRP?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks all :) A few more questions:

I've read a few things about the ability to remotely send destinations to the car's sat nav - Does this require Volvo On Call?

Tyre pressure monitoring - the salesman told me that it is a standard feature, but I can't find anything in writing that says so. Can anyone confirm?

Are the diesel engines much more responsive with the manual gearbox as opposed to auto? My insurer won't touch a D4 for some reason, so I would have to either settle for D3 or sacrifice a few months of no-claims and go elsewhere. The D3 auto I tested felt a little sluggish for what the power and torque figures suggested, though.

Typically, how lenient are Volvo dealers when it comes to negotiations? In other words, would they take kindly to me turning up tomorrow with a quote in-hand from a broker that knocks £5,100 off the RRP?
I got more than 5,100 of the RRP, but to be fair nearly every dealer knocked £4000 of an rdesign lux nav D4 before any negotiation started, it's a funny old game though haggling a bit of googling may help you out. I just used CarWow and I think used cars2buy as well, going pcp from a lease company worked out a little better, but I just wanted to buy from an Volvo dealer.

As for engine choice, well you got to go with what you want, the D3 does have the 5 cylinder engine which I think you can get an polestar upgrade done to spice it up a bit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As always it's best to try for yourself before buying, what I might think is responsive you may not?
It's the same with quotes you can try but don't expect a dealer to match a broker. Be realistic.
Dealers have overheads brokers do not.

As I've said before do not disregard a petrol unless you do a huge mileage.
Petrol will be cheaper to buy and service, I'm getting almost diesel economy from my petrol T3 45-51MPG depending on ratio of urban/open road driving (long term average 48)

Reactions: Arb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arb - the £5100 was from Broker4cars - probably one of the most popular on the SEAT forum alongside CarWow and DTD. Good to see Volvo are being more flexible than some, though.

Darren - mileage is around 15k a year, with a lot of 200+ mile journeys. Normal commute is 25 miles each way, mostly motorway. I'm not too concerned about the fuel economy, but having driven loads of different hire cars on business travel, I almost always prefer driving diesels over petrol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Arb - the £5100 was from Broker4cars - probably one of the most popular on the SEAT forum alongside CarWow and DTD. Good to see Volvo are being more flexible than some, though.

Darren - mileage is around 15k a year, with a lot of 200+ mile journeys. Normal commute is 25 miles each way, mostly motorway. I'm not too concerned about the fuel economy, but having driven loads of different hire cars on business travel, I almost always prefer driving diesels over petrol.
Fair do's but remember the petrols are 'turbo petrols' that give a similar turbo 'poke' to diesels, but have a much wider rev band to enjoy! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, a little update from yesterday. The D4 drove great (albeit in a V60), however the dealer also found a D3 manual for me to try - although it was pre-PDI and being delivered to a lease company next week. Apologies if anyone is getting a red V40 soon - it's been to the red line a couple of times with 8 miles on the clock... :)

On the upside, the D3 manual performed a lot better than the geartronic, so I'm much happier about going down this route instead. I have noticed it's still Euro V though, so can't be legally sold after 1st Jan - hopefully this would relate to when the order is placed, not when it is delivered?

Unfortunately they haven't been that great with the numbers - they've given 5% off (£1358.25) without asking, but claim to only get a 7.5% margin so couldn't give me much more. I know their overheads are different from a broker, but this is still a massive difference.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ant what exactly is the spec your looking at? And what exactly do you mean by brooker, do you mean a lease company?

My own experience was by using carwow to compare dealer prices and using an online discount car supplier (usually a lease company) the prices were pretty similar, the discount online suppliers were on occasion cheaper but I still had to part finance the car and that killed the deal as the rates were higher than what Volvo were offering negating the price difference.
One online supplier was nearly £1000 cheaper overall this was due to the fact that the options I added did not affect the final ballon payment (gmfv) so my final payment was £1000 less but the finance rates and monthlies were the same.
I ended up going with a dealer but did have to travel to pick the car up, well I could of had it delivered but didn't want some youth redlining my new purchase to my door! So opted to collect that way I could also inspect it before handover.

I found it tough to haggle face to face so using the online tools just helped me to find the best deal, also most of my local dealers were not prepared to negotiate to the prices I found online, sure they gave me the usual spiel of margins etc, and of course they have their targets to meet, and that's the reality you have to deal with so it can take a bit of leg work to hunt down the dealer who is willing to make the least amount.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Are you in a hurry to order Ant?
The best deals of the year can be had in the run up to christmas when the trade struggle to meet sales targets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Totally didn't forget to reply...

I went back the dealership again soon after my last post, and managed to get another £1k off. Still not the cheapest perhaps, but 0% finance should help things in the long run. Went ahead with the order anyway, and at the last update it's on schedule for a late December build slot with mid January delivery.

Final spec...
V40CC D3 Lux Nav
Outside: Electric silver, 17" Larenta dark grey wheels
Inside: Charcoal leather, shimmer graphite aluminium trim
Options: Lux winter pack, Xenium pack, tempa spare wheel, active TFT display, flexible load floor.

Now for the long wait. I've always bought from UK stock previously, so never had to endure the factory order process. Do the delivery dates often shift much from the initial estimates? Might be cutting it fine on the Leon's next service if the delivery date slips towards Feb.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.