Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find out the overall gear ratios (in mph/1000 RPM) of the forward gears of a T4-engined V40? I'm interested in calculating the road speed at the quoted maximum torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
What do you mean ?

Something like this ?? -> https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/download/media/specialfile/45687_1_5.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NicoNic said:
What do you mean ?

Something like this ?? -> https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/download/media/specialfile/45687_1_5.aspx
Thanks, but I couldn't get it to open.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
452 Posts
Most probably this is NOT what yellowbelly is looking for. Yes, I have seen this pdf file before, and there are the gear ratios in it, but no correlation between engine revs, gears and car speed.
I believe that such a document is hard to find by now, maybe later. Some kind of related information may exist in one of these car magazines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Maybe he can use the data for some Gear Ratio Speed Calculators i seen on the inet. :D

But i´m not an expert for this :s :shy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NicoNic said:
It´s a PDF File .. hmm ... i made a screenshot.



I do not know but if that's what you mean...
Thanks NicoNic, that's really great. All I need is the rolling radius of the tyres and I'll be able correlate road speed to engine speed in all the gears (including reverse :D). And the power and torque curves are very informative. All in all, I really couldn't ask for more information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
................ All I need is the rolling radius of the tyres ............

And I can get that from here http://tinyurl.com/69pkmk

Now I can get out my calculator and really get down to the nitty gritty.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
452 Posts
Yellowbelly said:
NicoNic said:
It´s a PDF File .. hmm ... i made a screenshot.



I do not know but if that's what you mean...
Thanks NicoNic, that's really great. All I need is the rolling radius of the tyres and I'll be able correlate road speed to engine speed in all the gears (including reverse :D). And the power and torque curves are very informative. All in all, I really couldn't ask for more information.
@yellowbelly. Pls, pls inform me on the formula you used, when you find out what you should do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"@Yellowbelly. Pls, pls inform me on the formula you used, when you find out what you should do. "

OK, but bear in mind that I haven't got any teaching skills!

Firstly, find the gear ratios from here http://tinyurl.com/bcqpc3q
Secondly, find the dynamic rolling circumference of the tyre from here http://tinyurl.com/69pkmk

Then ..........

(1) Multiply the quoted gear ratio by the final drive ratio to get the overall ratio of the engine speed to the road wheel (rotational) speed.
(2) Find the wheel speed in RPM for 1000* RPM engine speed by dividing 1000 by the overall ratio obtained in (1). (*1000 RPM has been chosen for simplicity.)
(3) Multiply the figure obtained in (2) by 60 to get the wheel speed in revs/hour.
(4) Multiply the figure obtained in (3) by the rolling circumference of the tyre in miles to get the road speed in mph for an engine speed of 1000 RPM. (In the past this figure was widely used to quote overall gear ratios and was in fact the figure requested in my original post on this subject.)
(5) Multiply the figure obtained in (4) by the required engine speed divided by 1000. (For example 5 represents 5000 RPM) This will give you the road speed in mph.
(In the higher gears the engine speed you can achieve will be limited by the combined drag forces on the car.)

Here’s an example for the T4 in top gear.
(1) Gear ratio 0.69 x final drive ratio 3.61 = 2.49
(2) 1000 divided by 2.49 = 401.61 RPM wheel speed for 1000 RPM engine speed
(3) 401.61 x 60 = 24096.39 revs/hour wheel speed for 1000 RPM engine speed
(4) 24096.39 revs/hour x 0.001197443* miles = 28.85 mph for 1000 RPM engine speed. (*The rolling circumference of a 205/55 R16 tyre.)
(5) 28.85 x 4.85 = 140 mph maximum speed of a T4. (It looks like the highest speed that the T4 engine will pull in top gear is 4850 RPM.)

Please be gentle with me if you don't agree with any of the foregoing!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
452 Posts
Yellowbelly said:
"@Yellowbelly. Pls, pls inform me on the formula you used, when you find out what you should do. "

OK, but bear in mind that I haven't got any teaching skills!

Firstly, find the gear ratios from here http://tinyurl.com/bcqpc3q
Secondly, find the dynamic rolling circumference of the tyre from here http://tinyurl.com/69pkmk

Then ..........

(1) Multiply the quoted gear ratio by the final drive ratio to get the overall ratio of the engine speed to the road wheel (rotational) speed.
(2) Find the wheel speed in RPM for 1000* RPM engine speed by dividing 1000 by the overall ratio obtained in (1). (*1000 RPM has been chosen for simplicity.)
(3) Multiply the figure obtained in (2) by 60 to get the wheel speed in revs/hour.
(4) Multiply the figure obtained in (3) by the rolling circumference of the tyre in miles to get the road speed in mph for an engine speed of 1000 RPM. (In the past this figure was widely used to quote overall gear ratios and was in fact the figure requested in my original post on this subject.)
(5) Multiply the figure obtained in (4) by the required engine speed divided by 1000. (For example 5 represents 5000 RPM) This will give you the road speed in mph.
(In the higher gears the engine speed you can achieve will be limited by the combined drag forces on the car.)

Here’s an example for the T4 in top gear.
(1) Gear ratio 0.69 x final drive ratio 3.61 = 2.49
(2) 1000 divided by 2.49 = 401.61 RPM wheel speed for 1000 RPM engine speed
(3) 401.61 x 60 = 24096.39 revs/hour wheel speed for 1000 RPM engine speed
(4) 24096.39 revs/hour x 0.001197443* miles = 28.85 mph for 1000 RPM engine speed. (*The rolling circumference of a 205/55 R16 tyre.)
(5) 28.85 x 4.85 = 140 mph maximum speed of a T4. (It looks like the highest speed that the T4 engine will pull in top gear is 4850 RPM.)

Please be gentle with me if you don't agree with any of the foregoing!
Gentle only!?! Absolutely fabulous ! Thank you so very much ! :):):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[/quote]

Gentle only!?! Absolutely fabulous ! Thank you so very much ! :):):)
[/quote]

Aw, shucks! You haven't said whether it was logical and understandable or even whether you believed it. :shy:

P.S. Has anyone managed to get more than 4850 RPM in 6th gear with a T4?
Calculated road speeds at the maximum engine speed of 5700 RPM are :-
1st gear 30.4mph
2nd gear 55.4 mph
3rd gear 83.6 mph
4th gear 109.9 mph
5th gear 138.2 mph
Reverse gear 29.7 mph
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
452 Posts
According to what yellowbelly revealed above in a very detailed way, here are the maximum speeds for top torque (2500 rpms) for each gear (D2).

1. 23,3 kms/h
2. 42,5 kms/h
3. 69,2 kms/h
4. 94,6 kms/h
5. 117,9 kms/h
6. 140,1 kms/h

I am not interested in reverse !:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
raytint said:
Yellowbelly said:
raytint said:
Any Greek would understand that it is revolutions per minute ! Don't you speak Greek ? :p
???????, ???? ??? ????? ?? ?????? ????????!
;)
Welcome back anyway !!! Ordered the Ford or what? :rolleyes:
I feel like a bit of a traitor, but I just couldn't stand any longer the indifference and lack of interest I've been getting from Volvo Car UK Ltd and Volvo dealers in the UK over the fact that I wanted to test drive a petrol V40. The last straw was when they said I would have to wait a month before they could let me have a T3 to test drive.

In contrast, my Ford dealer has been as helpful as any dealer could possibly be. As I've said before, they sourced a used 150ps petrol Focus Titanium for me to have a 100 mile test drive in within a few days of me asking. They even offered to bring the car to my house.

Last Wednesday I ordered a Ford Focus Titanium X with the 182ps petrol engine which is the basis for the Volvo T4 engine. The front seats aren't as comfortable as those in the V40 but that's my only criticism. If I'd have wanted, my dealer would have swapped the seats in my Titanium X with those from a Focus "Edge" which are slightly more comfortable, at no cost to myself, but I decided not to take up that offer. As soon as I told them I preferred the 16" wheels and 215/55 tyres of the Titanium, rather than the 17" wheels and 215/50 tyres of the Titanium X, they agreed to do a swap of these at no extra cost. Standard features are active park assist, cruise control, heated front seats, bi-xenon headlights, electrically heated windscreen, rain sensitive wipers, dual-zone climate control, TFT audio system screen, auto-dimming rear view mirror, auto-dipping headlights, front foglights, multi-colour ambient LED lighting, power operated driver seat, passenger seat height and lumbar adjustment, deflation detection system, LED day running lights, and hill start assist, and I've added satnav as an option.

I negotiated an 8% discount, and all in all I'm well pleased. I'm expecting to get the car in late March. The dealer gave me an Owners Manual to study in the meantime.

Because the car is so similar in specification to a V40 SE Lux T4 I'll consider myself to be an honorary member of the Volvo V40 Club.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
452 Posts
Yellowbelly said:
raytint said:
Yellowbelly said:
raytint said:
Any Greek would understand that it is revolutions per minute ! Don't you speak Greek ? :p
???????, ???? ??? ????? ?? ?????? ????????!
;)
Welcome back anyway !!! Ordered the Ford or what? :rolleyes:
I feel like a bit of a traitor, but I just couldn't stand any longer the indifference and lack of interest I've been getting from Volvo Car UK Ltd and Volvo dealers in the UK over the fact that I wanted to test drive a petrol V40. The last straw was when they said I would have to wait a month before they could let me have a T3 to test drive.

In contrast, my Ford dealer has been as helpful as any dealer could possibly be. As I've said before, they sourced a used 150ps petrol Focus Titanium for me to have a 100 mile test drive in within a few days of me asking. They even offered to bring the car to my house.

Last Wednesday I ordered a Ford Focus Titanium X with the 182ps petrol engine which is the basis for the Volvo T4 engine. The front seats aren't as comfortable as those in the V40 but that's my only criticism. If I'd have wanted, my dealer would have swapped the seats in my Titanium X with those from a Focus "Edge" which are slightly more comfortable, at no cost to myself, but I decided not to take up that offer. As soon as I told them I preferred the 16" wheels and 215/55 tyres of the Titanium, rather than the 17" wheels and 215/50 tyres of the Titanium X, they agreed to do a swap of these at no extra cost. Active park assist, cruise control, heated front seats, bi-xenon headlights, electrically heated windscreen, rain sensitive wipers, dual-zone climate control, TFT audio system screen, auto-dimming rear view mirror, auto-dipping headlights, front foglights, multi-colour ambient LED lighting, power operated driver seat, passenger seat height and lumbar adjustment, deflation detection system, LED day running lights, and hill start assist are all standard, and I've added satnav as an option.

I negotiated an 8% discount, and all in all I'm well pleased. I'm expecting to get the car in late March. The dealer gave me an Owners Manual to study in the meantime.

Because the car is so similar in specification to a V40 SE Lux T4 I'll consider myself to be an honorary member of the Volvo V40 Club.
I honestly think you should post this in "Orders". Anyway, to tell you the (hurting) truth, to more than one aspects I agree with you, your mentality and your reactions ! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
aside from engine and chassis, did the ford focus and volvo share any other parts in their development? do they source from the same suppliers for their parts bin or were co-developed? (ie, park assist tech, etc)?

i feel your pain - and would've probably done the same!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top