Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P2 Spoiler Install

Me and my mate are Going to be fitting my new spoiler this weekend to my new V40 i bought last week make it look more sporty.

Has anyone who's fitted one before got any tips? I've heard about possible sticky pads but in the instructions they don't mention about any so if there is id need to try getting it off without damaging them as i don't have new ones.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sport Spoiler Installation

So this weekend we manged to go ahead and put on the new sports spoiler, This took about 40 minute to complete so i thought id make this quick guide on how to do it so in future should only take someone about 20 min to complete.

(please refer to attached images)

Tools: Torx Screwdriver - Ratchet with extender - Pliers - Cloth

Step 1 - Removing the boot door panels (Picture 1 & 2
)
Using the a torx screwdriver unscrew the 2 screws on each side panel, They are where you use to attach the parcel shelf to the boot door.(Picture 2) At the small ends of the panels push them backward to unhook them from the base boot panel, Once the ends are free pull the top of the thinker parts of the panel towards you. (big arrows indicate where to pull, little arrows show clip locations)

Step 2 - Unbolting the Spoiler
(Picture 3)
  • First unscrew the 2 screws on each corner of the boot door using the torx screwdriver.
  • Next Unplug the white plug towards the center just so you can access the left side bolt.
  • Using the ratchet undo each of the two center bolts (be careful here not to drop the nut into the boot lid)
  • Unplug the spoiler break light connector from its transformer (Picture 4)

Step 3 - Removing the spoiler (Picture 5)

Now this it the scary part as it takes quite a lot of force but don't be scared the worst thing that can happen is breaking a few old clips (we only broke 1 that stayed in the boot so had to use pliers to pull it out)

I would advise 2 people to do this, Get 1 person each side and both pull up the same time towards the roof of the vehicle you will hear the clips popping out and the spoiler will become free. (be careful not to lift too high though as it will still be connected to the washer jet)

Once the spoiler is free disconnect the water jet hose from the base of the old spoiler and remove it completely, Then give the bare paint work a wipe to clean off any dirt from where the old spoiler was.

Step 4 - Putting on new spoiler
With the boot door still closed place the new spoiler onto the boot.

• Feed the new brake light power cable through the hole the original went through.
  • Attach the water hose the new spoiler.
  • Line up the new spoilers clips with the holes on the boot, once all the clips are aligned put a towel on top of the spoiler(to protect it) and hit the spoiler down (pushing doesn't work you have to physically hit the spoiler down) to get the clips to clip in. Keep hitting the spoiler till you feel all clips are fully inserted.
Now all clips are inserted see if the spoiler is aligned to the body work, you will have some sideways play to push the spoiler either left or right to line it up, Once it looks good open the boot and and now you can re-apply the bolts and screws you undid in step 2

Now just repeat Step 2 and 1 in reverse not forgetting to reconnect the two connectors before putting back on the boot panels.

Once all done check to make sure the break light works and the washer jet works before you put back on the side panels and your good to go.

Enjoy the new spoiler :)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another tip I found when I fitted mine was to curl a piece of cardboard and place under the centre bolts as you undo the nuts to catch them in case they fall, so as to stop them getting lost in the boot lid. Also many thanks Cypherix5 - followed your instructions as above and took me about half an hour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,
Great guide, I just ordered my spoiler and I will be fitting next week, hopefully. I will keep you posted.
Same color by the way!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Like the spoiler, only seen one other V40 (Cross Country D3) fitted with it.

As a side note I've noticed this panel (factory fit) on our MY17 T5 is of a different profile to that of our previous MY15 D2. On the T5 the rear edge sweeps up, on the D2 it was flat. Not sure if this a facelift change in design, or a T5 thing?

Ed875

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Like the spoiler, only seen one other V40 (Cross Country D3) fitted with it.

As a side note I've noticed this panel (factory fit) on our MY17 T5 is of a different profile to that of our previous MY15 D2. On the T5 the rear edge sweeps up, on the D2 it was flat. Not sure if this a facelift change in design, or a T5 thing?
The D2s use a specific 'low rise' version of the roof spoiler to reduce drag/MPG and get the car into the zero tax bracket. The D2alo had a smaller fuel tank and narrower wheels for the same reason.

is it the same part number for the V40 and the V40CC?
Yes. though it's not normally listed for the CC as it was part of the optional R Design aero bodykit.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had the full R Design rear kit fitted to my V40 R Design when I purchased it from new, it included this same sports spoiler, plus side rear skirts and rear air side flows that attach to the bumper just behind the wheels.
The whole kit gives the rear end a more bulked out lower look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome step by step guide, love the pictures! I don’t think I have ever seen this spoiler before where did you get it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts