Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paint problems?

As I have just read in another forum, someone already had problems with the paint. You can visit her on the bumper if you also have problems? Not that it is only at the Biarritz Blue (this color I wanted any order too): D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, hope my car does not develop this problem :S I have enough with the swirls the car was delivered with! My car is going to be polished tomorrow to get rid of the swirls.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is the damage on a painted metal panel or on a plastic component? If it's the latter I wonder whether it's the surface coating coming off through use of a high pressure hose. I personally avoid high pressure hoses like the plague.

·
Registered
153 Posts
looks like the pic is nearside rear (UK), as the rear bumper meets the wheel arch.

thankfully my Biarritz Blue V40 is over 3 months old now and appears to be fine at the moment.

@kidu
mine was a bit swirly when they delivered it too, thankfully it all disappeared after the first polish with a decent resin polish, I use Autoglym.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The swirls are no more! : )

London_2012 said:
@kidu
mine was a bit swirly when they delivered it too, thankfully it all disappeared after the first polish with a decent resin polish, I use Autoglym.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The pics as everyone can see come from the German forum Motor-talk.de. I managed to translate (with an automated translator) the user's post with the paint problem in his V40:

Volvo has obviously thought about Christmas to me and has given me new with defects: mad:

Only if it is to ask - No, the car has not had a collision or something but you can remove the paint happy and cheerful!

first Image - peeling paint, rear bumper
second Image - peeling paint, rear bumper

to the peeling paint as much. 've Seen put on a was a bubble. Since it had been raining I thought a drop of water through the reflection it looks like this. Gave me no rest allowed to go so times with a turnout cloth over it -> already had a little paint away. Could then remove still more! So, at first with NEN thick neck down to the dealer and also directly told that there is not Beilackiert but the bumper is replaced by a varnished Factory - not in 2 years at other places, the paint dissolves
third Image - paint defects engine compartment - it simply lacks some polish (no transition or damage felt everything just top) 4

Image - cars in the showroom at the same put the same error

I suspect that at this point so I had a sealant splashes and this has solved and therefore the agency looks like this!

fifth Image - scratches in trim on the driver's door - According to Volvo, I was probably the most or the dealer should have noticed that before the delivery! Times in seriously as someone so fine scratches on a level with the round gets going in there?

Also there is the last word has not been spoken to Volvo! Find it absolutely outrageous blame it all to customers in the shoes! So such impudence I have not even seen at VW

Something Volvo looking for detaching paint back says - determined it was my fault: mad:

that was it for now. I've had enough excitement!

·
Registered
273 Posts
looks familiar!

Hi, have just posted a separate thread to do with pain problems on my Rebel Blue car...blown away that your "ripped" paint looks identical to mine! The dealer has said that Volvo will never where it that it's a bonding problem and so I've got to pay for a "smart repair" at £85...sadly the damage was caused I think by a power hose getting too close...but even that shouldn't rip into unblemished paint? Regards Darren

·
Registered
196 Posts
Speak to Trading Standards before paying for anything, I had paint/bodywork issues with my Astra under warranty and both times Trading Standards had to work on my behalf before Vauxhall would pay up.

I would expect any modern car to put up with a pressure washer to clean it, if it can't then it strikes me as unfit for purpose.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would expect any modern car to put up with a pressure washer to clean it, if it can't then it strikes me as unfit for purpose.
Safety regulations require industrial equipment used for cleaning with compressed air to be restricted to having a nozzle pressure of 2 bar maximum. http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6876332_osha-compressed-air-blow-guns.html Pressure washers operate at 100 bar or more! I'm not at all surprised that a pressure washer will lift the outer skin of a plastic bumper.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
The car's manual also says it is best to wash car by hand, and not to use pressure washers or car washers to wash the car, as the paint is still delicate in the first few months and can get damaged.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Safety regulations require industrial equipment used for cleaning with compressed air to be restricted to having a nozzle pressure of 2 bar maximum. http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6876332_osha-compressed-air-blow-guns.html Pressure washers operate at 100 bar or more! I'm not at all surprised that a pressure washer will lift the outer skin of a plastic bumper.
I've just checked the Owners Manual for my 2013 Ford Focus and it says ....
"Some car wash installations use water at high pressure. This could damage certain parts of your vehicle."

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello I'm from Holland and here we have simular problems with the paint.

See these 2 sites for more info.

- http://www.volvo-forum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=56853&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=v40&start=50

- http://www.autoweek.nl/forum/read.php?4,4853439,page=118

So I say don't pay the bill and make volvo aware that it is a bigger problem!!

Regards,

Dennis.
Everyone's talking about it being paint peeling off, but isn't it really the outer layer of the plastic bumper? If you're going to take the matter up with Volvo then, in fairness to Volvo, you should make sure that you're being specific regarding what you're complaining about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everyone's talking about it being paint peeling off, but isn't it really the outer layer of the plastic bumper? If you're going to take the matter up with Volvo then, in fairness to Volvo, you should make sure that you're being specific regarding what you're complaining about.
I think you have to visite the sites i've mentioned!
What you see is That the paint is coming off the bumper!
The paint that's comming off is alway's on the left or Right Side of the rear bumper. Volvo Netherlands is now aware of the problems with the paint coming off. And they are busy with finding a solution. It's a production fault! So again I say, don't pay the repainting!!! Make volvo in your country aware of these problems!! And let them see the dutch sites, and let them contact dutch volvo dealers. It's really a big problem! Or search for simular problems in other country's on the internet.
I hope this was specific enough for you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Luckily still nothing here.. But mine is from August 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is a paint problem!!!!

I'm quite sure it is a paint problem.
I have a D2 volvo V40 and the same paint problem shown in the picture. Moreover the paint problem was in the same identical position and have the same shape. My color isn't Biarritz Blue but light gray. Finally a friend of mine with the same car but of different color (dark gray) also have the same identical paint problem.

So I'm sure it is a paint problem!!!

Giovanni

(sorry for my bad English)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just happened to my Red R-design, not happy and a pain as I was just about to order another one but will be on hold for now.

How long has this been an issue for

S

·
0 Posts
I have exact same problem with my V40 R-Design bumper rear passenger side. Also I feel that the general finish on the rear bumper has a satin like finish and does not have the deep shine/reflection quality of the front bumper as though the clear coat is missing. Only covered 1000 miles and car is only 2 months old. The problem appeared after the car had been subjected to very hot continuous sunshine. Now waiting for Volvo to make up their minds how to fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately this problem not only happens at the rear bumper but also at the front, as I just noticed on my car. I informed my dealer about the rear issue 3 weeks ago, he contacted Volvo Belgium but is still waiting for an asnwer.

Clearly this is a production error and in order to prevent future problems they need to repaint both front and rear bumpers!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
34 Participants
peatah
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing