Volvo V40 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Curiously the Rebel Blue R Design demo car we looked at had the same crinkling on the bumper in the same place as those pictures...to me it looked more like the paint was not dry on the bumper when it was fitted and it crinkled rather than damage from washing. If it's that soft then I'd be worried about touching it!

·
Registered
945 Posts
It is an adhesion problem i,e the paint has not bonded to the plastic bumper so it pulls and then peals off, the only way to fix is to strip the whole bumper and repaint (this time in a matching colour)

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I got it correctly, so far we've got paint peeling on Rebel Blue, Passion Red, Biarritz Blue, light grey (?) And dark grey (?). Any other colours?

In trying to figure out if some paints are better than the others - if it does not make a difference, then it would indicate application or bumper material issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to take my car into get photo's taken. Then the dealer will send them to Volvo. They say it will only be fixed if Volvo say it can be, otherwise it's my problem. Has anyone else had a reply from Volvo?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Volvo has acknowledged it's an issue in the process of the bumper manufacturing and spraying.
If the issue exists they replace the bumpers with new ones.
At least that's the word here in the Netherlands :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
273 Posts
My car was one of the first to be identified with the problem in June (March registered car)...or at least that is what was alluded to me as Volvo had not yet had any other enquiries about it. My car had new front and rear bumpers and I've seen the problem on all the colours mentioned in this thread plus a goldish colour. In August Volvo apparently released a technical journal on the matter so I would suggest they've got a batch of cars where there's an adhesion defect and the same weak spots are vulnerable (rear nearside and front nearside). The early problems were probably resolved with replacement bumpers...but perhaps on some they're doing a smart repair. It's definitely a problem that Volvo UK are aware of...just depends if your dealer has been made aware.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My car was one of the first to be identified with the problem in June (March registered car)... In August Volvo apparently released a technical journal on the matter so I would suggest they've got a batch of cars where there's an adhesion defect and the same weak spots are vulnerable (rear nearside and front nearside).
If it is just one batch it would be interesting to know the VIN of cars already suffering this problem; we may be able to identify a range of vehicles which are likely to be affected.
My Ice White R design was also registered in March this year, and despite standing out in all weathers for 7 months shows no sign of peeling paint..... (typed with fingers tightly crossed).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ice white as well, no peeling so far, but too early to tell (one month). Maybe we are the lucky ones?

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam

·
Registered
945 Posts
I got the go a head for a new pair of bumpers, they were supposed to get fitted last week but they were delayed due to the rear being delayed (not enough stock or too many issues requiring replacement?).

Do not accept a smart repair, require correctly paint panels

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.