Volvo V40 Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Has such a large proportion of people that post on the forum suffered this issue? You could be right but I am not aware of that. In my life experience it is usually the case that people post problems in public, but those with a good experience are less inclined to do so. But I am not precious with my thought so and opinions and I am happy to be wrong! That's what makes the world a good place to be. But I suspect that the issue of paint peeling is amongst a minority with the silent satisfied majority keeping quiet! :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am also on the focus at owners forum and the number of people who post on there re cracked liners if this was really indicative of the size of the issue you would not see an ST anywhere apart from the scrappers, people posting about issues is a symptom (not alway a bad thing) of car enthusiast forums

·
Registered
945 Posts
There certainly was an issue and just keep your eye on it and if it starts to wrinkle take it straight back.

At least you will not have to put up with it for months while Volvo workout what to do with it, your should be sorted in a couple of weeks (if the problem occurs)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blue Light Line Purple Sky

Noticed crinkling on mine today in the same place. Will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

I also seem to have suffered more than average damage in the 11 months I have owned the car from stone chips to the front bumper. I will be asking for both replacing.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
The bumpers are not supposed to match, push for a new bumper as it is a known fault in production process
Wait. So you're saying it's normal for the bumper colour to not match the main car body (and I should accept it)... or that it's indeed a fault? I'm confused. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
The bumpers are not supposed to match, the bumpers are painted in bulk rather than with the car, it is the way many manufacturers build cars these days, it has been like this for years), our lasses Civic type r back in 04 (we had it from brand new so not due to a poor repair by a previous owner) was the first I came across.

Fords are the same.

If you order a new bumper for these cars, they come prepainted.

If I came cross a V40 with bumpers that matched I would know it has had paint and in all likely hood body damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
in Russia dealers can`t found Volvo note about this issue, so my problem with front bumper covered by warranty, but they will not order new bumper - they will re-paint my bumper by themself. Strange, but two dealers offer me the same solution, Volvo HQ in Russia can`t say something about it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm amazed this thread is still going and cars being produced a year after the first cars being made, brought the issue to light, being affected by the issue...I'm also amazed that some territories (Russia) seemingly aren't aware or that other will do a spot repair! It's a bonding/application fault and that's that...this thread is testament to that!

Latest contributors...go get your new, properly bonded bumpers. Oh and yes, they're pre painted, but fear not!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone got any evidence of Volvo admitting this was a manufacturing issue as I have had 6 months of going to and fro to the dealer and the relationship has broken down completely. The bumpers are still showing signs of the base plastic under the white paint. If I can prove the fault was there to begin with, I can look in to action using the Sale of Goods Act through the finance company.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just come across this thread, and wondering if Volvo ever sorted it out ?

This makes concerning reading, especially as I'm due to collect my new V40 soon.

Poor paint finish is a big niggle for me, and in all honesty if mine has shading in any form I will probably cancel the whole sale !

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.