Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

While waiting for my car to be delivered I've come across a question I can't find a definite answer to.

I'm not a big fan of driving with only the front daytime running lights on, and the car all dark in the back. Here in Norway, we have been driving with lights on all day for ages. Some with main lights, some with front foglamps as substitutes, and others with some kind of specialized daytime running lamps. Almost all of us with the rear lights on at the same time. Not only does it feel safer, but also (due to habit i assume), I think it looks a lot better when the rear lamps are on at all times.. :) I also think that the V40 looks better with the DRL's on and headlamps off, so I've been looking for a way to go.

So.. Can I, with some setting of the light switch, drive the car with the daytime running lights as well as the parking lights front and back on at the same time?

I've downloaded the manual. An as far as i can tell, with the light switch i Auto, I will get DRL only, without parklights front and rear, until it gets dark, and the main headlamps turn on. Then the DRL's will turn off and everything else turns on.
However, there's something in the Norwegian manual about the parking light setting of the light switch. That it will turn on parking lights only while the car stands still, and turn on driving lights as soon as the car starts moving.
Are they referring to the LED daytime running lights here? Or do they mean the headlamps?
I'm hoping this means I can use this setting and get DRL's and front and back park lights at the same time..

I realize that there might be differences in how the lights are programmed to work in different countries. But still. Those of you that already have your car. How does it work?

Mine will be a R-design with active xenon's.

Pictures would also be much appreciated..:)

Obviously, this is what I'm looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kyvy34lNH4

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm sure it can be done via a software update at the dealer, this has been covered on the of the C30 sites also and the dealer was the answer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The autoshow Volvo's are specially prepared that they have on the leds and the backlights.
This is not possible in Real life.

When DLR (Leds) are on there are NO backlights. (I know it's strange).

You can drive with light switch on manual but you don't got rear lights.
And I guess normal lights will not go on during night.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers guys..:)

I agree that the car in the video is specially prepared. The lights switch is in Auto, and it has drl's and park lights on. This shouldn't be possible without programming.

However, I still wonder if my wish will come true with the lights switch in "park".

So.. with the light switch in position "Parklights", the front and rear parklights will be on only as long as the car is standing still,
and as soon as the car starts moving, the drl's come on, and the park lights turns off?

Doesn't seem right to me..
If i use the park light setting of the switch, then i obviously want the park lights to be on.

Other comments on this anyone?
Would someone that has DRL's on their car maybe bother to actually check their car with lights switch in park? :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
TryingVolvo said:
So.. with the light switch in position "Parklights", the front and rear parklights will be on only as long as the car is standing still,
and as soon as the car starts moving, the drl's come on, and the park lights turns off?
No. You will be reminded to switch to auto. This is the case in my T4 Momentum with day running lights, without LEDs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When parking lights are on.
The DLR (Leds below front bumper) are not burning.
Just the leds in top of the headlights.

When driving away the DLR go on and the rear lights go off.
And you get the warning switch to AUTO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaaahhhh..

I finally get it..:D

Thanks for the answers. Looks like I'll be asking the dealer to program it differently upon delivery.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Due to legal laws it might be impossible to change..

There is a law that indicates that when DLR are burning there may not be rear lights burning.
At least that's with me in the Netherlands..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hasofy: No worries:) all answers are appreciated.

MichelR: Interesting point you make. I'll have to check out the rules.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
TryingVolvo
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing