1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

has any of you experienced the full auto-brake due to some
pedestrian or cyclist on the way?

I read here some not so good experiences with the sometimes unpredictable behavior of the adaptative cruise control and I wonder about the full auto-brake system.

Here in the Netherlands there are many bikes and some cyclists are
a bit "unpredictable". For example, it is not uncommon to see them
stopping at the last moment at their traffic light (perpendicular to the
direction of the cars). I wonder if a V40 with this system might anticipate
danger and perform a full auto-brake, which might have not very good
consequences if there is another car behind.....

Any experiences?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've heard a story about someone with auto brake (wasn't a volvo). A plastic bag flew across and got stuck at the top of the windscreen, initiated auto-brake and the driver was rear ended by another car

That said, I've googled and can't find any sign of this story, so not sure how accurate it is

I think it's a great backup system though

·
Registered
196 Posts
If someone rear ends your car then they're too close to begin with, simple...but I can see the reason for the concern!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If someone rear ends your car then they're too close to begin with, simple...but I can see the reason for the concern!
Not true. I recently drove into the rear of a car at 15mph and pushed it forward so it bumped into another car (no visible damage whatsoever). The front car blamed a 'ghost' car that drove across 3 lanes on the busy roundabout for his emergency stop. My insurance company said that the 'ghost' car is to blame but if it cannot be traced I would shoulder the blame. On a side note, the front car has since claimed personal injury for 2 people that weren't in the car (luckily I took photo's at the scene) so my insurance company has instructed their legal departmant to persue the front driver for a fraudulant claim. I'm guessing this busy roundabout where two main flows cross is a common/ideal location for a fake collision.
Moral : take many pics if you're unfortunate enough to have a crunch.

Reactions: Stueeee

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've not had autobraking but a few times the radio has muted, loud beeps and the red heads-up warning starts flashing, usually when moving out to pass stationary vehicles parked at the side of the road. This morning it did it as I passed a group of kids on the pavement walking towards me.

It's a bit unnerving when that happens!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts