Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well enjoyed a nice sedate drive out yesterday over the strines with the missus (still got her nail marks in the side of the seat to prove it) :blush:

I have found the perfect cruising Volvo music, sung by a true Swede - Agnetha (Agnetha Fältskog), for those of you old enough to have drooled over her (like me) in your childhood (ABBA).

Didn't know till seeing her on the Beeb the other night (she still looks beautiful and natural at 64 y/o) but she has brought out a new Solo album a year or so ago.

Thoroughly recommend it for the full Volvo Swedish experience (well as near as you can in the UK)

[Prepares for flames from our Swedish members]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well our tastes in music might not be the same, but I can say that the Volvo stereos are absolutely awesome. I mentioned in another post I've had several Volvos (including an s60R which was just a gorgeous car, and massively fast for its time) and the stereos are consistently good, with a crisp and clean sound. Perfect for bigbeat techno.

Against that I've now had 3 Jaguars (2 XFs and now an XKR) with 2 of those having the B & W system which initially got stereo of the year or whatever. The Volvo systems just absolutely crap on the B & W system - essentially the best Jag system isn't as good as the most average of the Volvo, but then I have the rumble of the V8 as consolation.

To be fair there are some music styles that come out quite well on the Jag, strangely enough the best example is also a Swedish band - Junip which featured in the Walter Mitty soundtrack.

So we have a British car that plays Swedish music well, and a Swedish car that plays British music well. Driven by Australians with German and Irish heritage and carting around dogs from China.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the sound system and did wish I'd gone for the premium sound.

But after a couple of hours playing with the levels I am now happy with the sound from the standard unit (sounds very muffled when set 'flat')

Attachments

Reactions: DefinitelyV40

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can also get different sound depending on whether the input is USB or disk, at least in the Jag. I'm finding the CC (and the previous s40T5s) were very crisp and clear with the rock/techno, with a great bass and no vibration. But for the lighter style they aren't so good, IMO. I'm told that the Jag B & W system is awesome for jazz, but I'd rather eat worms than listen to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the sound system and did wish I'd gone for the premium sound.

But after a couple of hours playing with the levels I am now happy with the sound from the standard unit (sounds very muffled when set 'flat')
I'm not a massive audiophile, just happy to be able to turn the music up to eleven. I found exactly the same - tweaking the settings a little gives me great sound.
I would be interested to know how much difference the premium sound makes though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well have just acquired 1999 V40 without manual so do not know how radio works, but tuned to BBC R4 so previous owner must have been a typical Volvo owner, and suits me. Much better than my previous 740 estate as long the computer and electronics do not play up. All the 740 had was central locking - a different world in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have found that since acquiring my iPhone 6 Plus, the bluetooth connection is more seamless than my iPhone 5 which occasionally needed a few tries to connect. Re the sound quality I have the standard sound system (I think) on my D2 R-Design and I find it sounds best when the treble is turned up high and bass set at the middle. I use Spotify for music and the quality is great. I do wish that you could switch between Spotify and iTunes via the car controls though

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cool selection.

But I just wanna check - can Norwegian Black Metal be played in a Swedish car? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.