Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought a 2014 D2 Crosscountry Lux (automatic). I am very happy with it.

I have seen several options mentioned on this forum, such as polestar or other performance tuning. Do I correctly understand that these performance improvements increase fuel consumption? If not, then whey don't Volvo just apply this kind of thing to all cars?

At the risk of asking a lame question: is there a way to tune the engine so it gets higher fuel efficiency? Even at the risk of reducing the "oomph"?

Thanks!
Yannick

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it varies, but from what I've heard, a lot of tunes will increase power and increase efficiency. Therefore, I do not think detuning the engine will necessarily allow you to go further on a tank!

As for your question on why Volvo (and indeed other manufacturers) don't tune their engines for maximum performance there are probably several reasons. One will be that often they want to get 2 or more versions of the engine without having to manufacture 2 physically different engines - as with the T3/T4. Another is that normally lesser tuned engines will be, on average, more reliable as parts won't be stressed as much.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Some tuners (in Belgium) offer ECO-tuning. They only increase the torque but not the HP. This will help to decrease the fuel consumption.
A normal tune (HP+torque) will not change the fuel consumption a lot. They claim it is lower if you keep the same driving style, but I don't feel any difference.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ad Polestar... Their tuning definitely improved the fuel efficiency of my V40. My estimation is about 5-10 %. It's probably because of torque increasement. Jwilco answered why they don't "tune" them at the factory. Unfortunately Polestar doesn't offer D2 tuning but there are a few options out there. Rica for example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts