Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable start & stop? I totally hate it and every time I get into the car I have to disable it manually:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stay in 1st gear with the clutch in :p

I don't think there is a way of permanently disabling as this is part of the calculation of road tax etc based on emissions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
volver said:
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently disable start & stop? I totally hate it and every time I get into the car I have to disable it manually:)
Hello Volver. What is the problem with start and stop? Is there any serious problem?

·
Registered
108 Posts
You could see if the setting under MyCar disables permanently.
Not 100% sure where it actually is at but there is an option in those menu's...

I actually never have any issues with start stop and it only stops my engine when in the city at a traffic light... Because then I actually put it in neutral..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually find very annoying when there is little traffic and you just stop and start again in 1-2 seconds. There is no option to disable it through the "my car" menu unfortunately and I believe the reason is what Pegasus829 is saying. Anyway, I can live with that but I would definitely like to disable it once and for all:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
volver said:
I actually find very annoying ...........
It's not that I find it annoying, it's more that with my journeys I doubt whether it's significantly beneficial to the environment. I think the number of times the engine is stopped and the proportion of time that the engine is stopped is miniscule. The aspect which makes me adopt the practice of disabling it at the start of every journey is to eliminate the additional wear on the starter motor, on the flywheel gear ring, and on the battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yellowbelly said:
volver said:
I actually find very annoying ...........
It's not that I find it annoying, it's more that with my journeys I doubt whether it's significantly beneficial to the environment. I think the number of times the engine is stopped and the proportion of time that the engine is stopped is miniscule. The aspect which makes me adopt the practice of disabling it at the start of every journey is to eliminate the additional wear on the starter motor, on the flywheel gear ring, and on the battery.
That's exactly my concern with stop/start tech - do we know if there is any clear and documented findings on start/stop causing earlier wear of starter/batt/etc vs a car that does without?

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a completely separate battery for this and brake energy harvesting is used to charge etc. I read an in depth review on the V40 R-Design that had all of the technical info. I'll try to find it again and link to it. The general consensus was negligible wear due to the gains in technology.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've found that there are certain points on my commute to work that I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to be stationary for at least 20 seconds or more, like the traffic lights at Apex Corner, and again when I get to top of the hill at Hendon. I've started to count the seconds now when the engine stops. As the Drive recommendations state anything 15 seconds or over is saving fuel. It's surprising how quickly 15 seconds passes.

That said... I hate it when the cars cold, I'm stopped in traffic, the engine stops then restarts itself after a few seconds - that's just pointless!

·
Registered
31 Posts
What Car magazine is running a Mazda CX-5 long-term test. The car is equipped with stop/start. There is an option to check the total time the engine has been stopped for. After 6 or 7 months total time EXCEEDED 12h. You can find that info on their website too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rafiki said:
What Car magazine is running a Mazda CX-5 long-term test. The car is equipped with stop/start. There is an option to check the total time the engine has been stopped for. After 6 or 7 months total time EXCEEDED 12h. You can find that info on their website too.
To put it into perspective we need to know what the number of hours (and miles) running was. Can you give us a link to the article please?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yellowbelly said:
Rafiki said:
To put it into perspective we need to know what the number of hours (and miles) running was. Can you give us a link to the article please?
Hi,

Here's the link to CX-5 weekly report:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-mazda-cx-5/november/263047

I hope it works.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Rafiki said:
Yellowbelly said:
Rafiki said:
Hi,

Here's the link to CX-5 weekly report:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-mazda-cx-5/november/263047

I hope it works.
Thanks Rafiki, it worked fine. As a rough estimate, I reckon that if I did the same mileage for my regular journeys in my home county of Lincolnshire in England my stop/start would be operational for a mere 2 hours out of a total of 370 hours, or one minute in every 105 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you saying keeping your foot on the clutch is the only other solution to disabling, that's fine for short stops. What's it like if you have an automatic?

Just an update on my previous problem when the car is cold, I'm stopped in traffic, the engine stops fine, but then restarts itself after a few seconds instead of waiting for you to put your foot back on the clutch before restarting.
I know it's a little inconvenient but I've noticed that having the heater switched off when the engine is cold for the first 5-6mins of a journey allows the start stop to run properly. Understand that's not practical in all climates!! It's obviously something to do with the load of the heater on the battery/engine. After a few minutes when the engine is warm it's not a problem.

·
Registered
630 Posts
London_2012 said:
Just an update on my previous problem when the car is cold, I'm stopped in traffic, the engine stops fine, but then restarts itself after a few seconds instead of waiting for you to put your foot back on the clutch before restarting.
I know it's a little inconvenient but I've noticed that having the heater switched off when the engine is cold for the first 5-6mins of a journey allows the start stop to run properly. Understand that's not practical in all climates!! It's obviously something to do with the load of the heater on the battery/engine. After a few minutes when the engine is warm it's not a problem.
Pages 125 and 126 of the Owners Manual detail the many :rolleyes: circumstances under which the Start/Stop either doesn't operate or operates differently from what you might be expecting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure if all models of the V40 have it but I am able to disable the Stop/Start using a button right at the bottom of the floating console. It has the same icon as the on screen display when Start/Stop has kicked in at traffic lights. No need to go into car settings all the time. Have only used it when I know the car has t been on long enough to stay off when in neutral and wants to start again 2 seconds later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
More than 20 years ago, the start/stop technology was introduced in Switserland. I was there on holiday and they had an extra light to indicate you could start your car.
German television had a car program and they worked out how much fuel you could save (if any) by switching off at traffic lights. With the engines from that period, they worked out it was beneficial to do if you're stopped for more than 10seconds.

Fast forward to 2013, with the special battery and it getting it's energy through KERS and the special startermotor (it's different), and it'll work out to under 10s.
Point is, you'll never see Volvo (or other brands) giving you the option to disable it permanently. It's part of the package that gives the car the eco label. Maybe not a big thing everywhere, but here in Netherlands, it's important for the tax you have to pay on top of your income tax when you have a company car. Now it's in the low 14% category, which is why Volvo is #1 for the past month... The competition from Audi, BMW and Mercedes is rated at 20%.

So, get used to it. It only takes a week, and you're totaly over the 'onnoyance' of the starting. And it's just once in a while that the light goes green the second your engine cuts out. Just mildy annoying.
Usually, I'm very good at jumping 'into the light' that I'm still the first to leave, even with start/stop. Give up the resistance... ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are you saying keeping your foot on the clutch is the only other solution to disabling, that's fine for short stops. What's it like if you have an automatic?

Atuo-off kicks in as you come to a stop, and fires the engine up again the second you remove your foot from the brake pedal. It can be annoying as **** when you stop at a stop street as it kicks in literally as you come to a halt, and you may remain in that position for 2 seconds while you do a safety check before moving off. In that 2 seconds it's off, and then on again.

Stop start traffic is just as bad - move forward two inches, stop / off , 5 seconds later, foot off, start move forward 5 paces , rinse repeat. I find my fingers very well trained already, and I disable it by default - re-enabling when I predict it would be useful.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
About this Discussion
88 Replies
47 Participants
Teribus
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing