Volvo V40 Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've never ever noticed it do that. But I do tend to turn off stop/start as I first engage gear.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There's a separate battery for the stop-start function.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Has anyone with an auto found a way to shift from D to R without the engine stopping and starting in between?
cant say that that has ever happened in ether of the powerdrive autos I have driven not with the brakes on or a sneaky quick shift from d to r when turning in our road to get facing the exit, sounds like a trip to the dealers for the answer [ that is if they have heard of that before] our v40 has stop/start on all the time by the way some times it works sometimes not depending on the battery charge as we do very low mileage and the car might not be used for days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about looking into raising the cut off voltage to 13v using vida so it thinks the battery cant handle stop start so it never activates.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's a separate battery for the stop-start function.
I know there's a secondary battery on my V40 behind the front bumper. There's no way that it is used for the stop-start, though. The cables fixed to it would never be able to carry the current required to turn an engine over, plus the battery itself doesn't have the amperage required.

What it is for, I can't be sure. I do know that when I removed my bumper to repair accident damage, that the terminals on said battery were heavily corroded after around a year and a half, and 37,000 miles of the car being on the road...

Mine has now had the terminals cleaned up, and Vaseline applied to protect them (other Petroleum Jellies are available)

-T

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I know there's a secondary battery on my V40 behind the front bumper. There's no way that it is used for the stop-start, though. The cables fixed to it would never be able to carry the current required to turn an engine over, plus the battery itself doesn't have the amperage required.
The secondary battery is used to keep the electrical system powered up while the engine is stopped, so that the main battery's charge can be conserved for restarting the engine (the secondary battery also maintains the voltage supply to the electrical system whilst the main battery is delivering cranking current). It's effectively functioning as a giant smoothing capacitor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The secondary battery is used to keep the electrical system powered up while the engine is stopped, so that the main battery's charge can be conserved for restarting the engine (the secondary battery also maintains the voltage supply to the electrical system whilst the main battery is delivering cranking current). It's effectively functioning as a giant smoothing capacitor.
That was what I thought its purpose was, buzby. But I didn't know for sure.

Sent using Tapatalk

81 - 89 of 89 Posts