Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. Looking at buying a second hand v40 max age 2012. Just figuring out if petrol or diesel would be best. I live on the edge of Dartmoor and do a round trip of 60 miles to work 3 times a week across the moors and then around towns and villages (community nursing). I'm guessing diesel but I'd be interested in what everyone thinks. Also I've not had a Volvo before and wondered what the petrol engines are like with higher mileage. Finally d2 or d3 it's pretty hilly etc so don't want to be underpowered cheers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I drive a d2 on my 200 mile drive up and down the A9 from the Central belt Inverness every week (summer and winter)

It doesn't struggle through the mountains and is pretty good at accelerating from 50 to 70 to overtake the HGVs on the single lane bits.

It does feel a bit underpowered every now and then, but the mpg makes up for it. In spring and summer I regularly get more than 65mpg, in winter that drops running heated windscreen, seats, etc as well as winter tyres and the added friction from snow and slush on the roads.

I also like that the d2 is zero rated for road tax.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try for the 5 cylinder D3,very reliable,£30 road tax,mine does 42 mpg around town and 60 on a longer trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a CPN myself, but Hertfordshire way so not particularly rural.

I went for a T3. Didn't really consider diesel for several reasons. I do a fair few short journeys as well as longer ones; while road tax is low on the diesel engines now I'd expect changes afoot, especially on aging diesel engines; and because I'm just used to petrol to be honest. Not sure how I'd feel about the slightly more gruff nature of diesel.

All that said I would quite like a little more power than the T3 provides. Couldn't quite justify the T5 given fuel economy etc, so perhaps the D4 might've interested me. In terms of MPG with T3 I get an average of about 34 I think. It seems really quite good on a long run at a moderate speed, but very poor on short runs. So poor in fact, it made me think the T5 might not have been a bad shout after all as it's not supposed to be much worse.

·
Registered
V40 D3 2013
30 Posts
Hi, lots of engine options to choose from, check eg. the wikipedia-page on V40 for more info, seems like there was 16 or 17 different engines/models fitted to the V40.
I drive a 2013 D3, so the older 5-cylinder variant and I like it a lot. It is a good all-rounder as in: it has some power and torque, is regarded as quite reliable and gets decent mpg.
Mine is manual so even better mpg, the 6-speed automatic is more thirsty and a bit "spongy", the new 8-speed automatic is better but you can only get it with VEA 4-cyl. engines.
Then again, drove in northern Norway with a D3 6-speed automatic and it was very easy driving in the hills compared to my manual.

Here most have gone for the D2, it is quite popular in Finland. Best mpg of the bunch but a bit lacking in power, D3 and D4 has more power and torque( D2: 270Nm vs. 350/400Nm in D3/D4).
VEA 2.0 diesels even more frugal, have had some issues with at least egr coolers. My father drives a XC60 with VEA D4 and he seems happy with the engine. His previous S60 D4 had lots of parts in the egr cooler replaced on warranty.

Someone else can comment on petrols, never even driven a petrol V40 so cannot give any advice.

If you go for a diesel, my recommendation for hilly areas would be something else than D2.
And at least not a PSA/Ford D2 with automatic, it is fitted with the Ford Powershift-gearbox that I would steer clear from...
VEA D4 is the only model with twin turbos, so it will probably have the best behaviour of the 4-cyl. models.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm a CPN myself, but Hertfordshire way so not particularly rural.

I went for a T3. Didn't really consider diesel for several reasons. I do a fair few short journeys as well as longer ones; while road tax is low on the diesel engines now I'd expect changes afoot, especially on aging diesel engines; and because I'm just used to petrol to be honest. Not sure how I'd feel about the slightly more gruff nature of diesel.

All that said I would quite like a little more power than the T3 provides. Couldn't quite justify the T5 given fuel economy etc, so perhaps the D4 might've interested me. In terms of MPG with T3 I get an average of about 34 I think. It seems really quite good on a long run at a moderate speed, but very poor on short runs. So poor in fact, it made me think the T5 might not have been a bad shout after all as it's not supposed to be much worse.
I get 35 mpg on long runs outside towns with T5. Within cities it drops to 28 mpg but I think that's very good considering the power and the fun factor of this engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get 35 mpg on long runs outside towns with T5. Within cities it drops to 28 mpg but I think that's very good considering the power and the fun factor of this engine.
Yeah, I wish I'd gone for a T5 CC AWD to be honest. Saw one which looked like the previous owner had had a bit too much fun in. It probably just needed a full valet really. Sure those engines can take a bit of abuse!

Saw another recently for a great price with plenty of toys, but an insurance write off (non- structural damage). Wouldn't be completely averse to the idea, but the practicalities might be a pain i.e. higher insurance, difficult to sell etc.

Oh well, will go for a bit more power next time. Perhaps a Mazda 3 2.5 AWD, if it comes to UK.

Sorry I'm hijacking your thread!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Had a T3 geartronic on Momentum Nav plus trim. If doing short journies going 20-30mph light traffic, probably get around 35mpg, heavier traffic, then around 27mpg. If going 40-50mph speeds little or no traffic, can get around 50-52mpg (best ever was 56mpg), if going around 60-70mph speeds, probably 48-50mpg (best ever 52mpg). Best ever mpgs were both on Shell Vpower 99RON. Rest were on normal 95 RON petrols. Power from 1.5T engine on T3 was pretty decent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
VEA D4 is the only model with twin turbos, so it will probably have the best behaviour of the 4-cyl. models.
2015 D4 averages 50mpg since new. A bit better in summer, a bit worse in winter. Had EGR valve issues sorted under warranty. Car is fast enough, any more power and it'd be best to have awd.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Make a plan and go drive the T and D3/4. This is my first diesel and I love it. After driving both it was hands down the D.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I decided to get a new car I had two choices - another V40 or S60. When I eliminated S60 I was about to choose a powertrain for my new V40. First I was convinced to upgrade from my D2 to D4 but then I also tried T5 at the dealer and I instantly fell in love :) And still after those years it is a joy to drive and it will be hard to sell it next year. However, if the fuel economy is a very important aspect then D4 is a better choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts