Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have read some of the subwoofer installs that have been done but I have not figured it out yet.
My car is a V40 2015 with sensus infotainment and new 2.0 D2 engine.

I have the plan of installing the active Pioneer WX70DA subwoofer into the boot. More on all the details later on once I have started the install but currently I need to make sure where to get the signal for the subwoofer and the power.

Signal: Where it's the easiest to get it from?
Power:
Pioneer says the subwoofer can be powered from 12V socket as it is using max 10amps. I don't have a 12v socket in the rear.
I had an idea that maybe the wiring is already there by default for the socket and I could you it? So I wouldn't need to run new wires from the front battery to the back. Or any other sources in the back that would be able to handle the subwoofer load?

I will keep you update on the progress once the install starts :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Kapete1,

Nbr 1. Don't run an amp from 12socket. That is not very smart. It seems V40 sockets are also very much limited in power output.
Run a dedicated positive cable from battery straight to your amp/sub. Ground to the chasis. Alternatively there is a fusebox under the passenger seat. Install a fuse and get power from there.

Nbr 2. Your amplifier is located under your driver seat. You need to intercept the outgoing signal and use it to feed your sub/amp.
Do note that these are speaker level outputs and your amp needs to support this. Or you will need to convert it to line level output.

I'm working on the same idea. Currently looking at this unit for it: https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/power-amplifiers/d-61200/

However I'm aiming at full control of all speakers in order to properly apply high pass filtering etc.
In your case, just intercepting the front speakers cables and feeding it to your amp will probably do the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So finally installed the subwoofer, some more steps left but it is already working.

As I was installing also a video interface + rear view camera + front camera I did all the wiring for the subwoofer in one go. 
The installation is pretty simple, you need constant power, ignition power, ground and input from the speakers. Most of the time went into finding the right wirings but once this is figured out it's easy.
The first ideas was to take power directly from the battery in front, but I discovered that one of the wires going to the factory amplifier had constant 40A power. 40A power is enough for factory amplifier + 10A subwoofer so after consideration, I took the power from there.
The ignition power I took from the cigarette lighter/12V socket in the center console. Speaker signals took also directly from the amplifier. 
All the cables came nicely together under the front driver seat and all that was left was to get the wires to the trunk. Popping open some wall and floor panels it was done quite fast. The ground I took from the car body, there was an available screw near the rear light. 

As a bonus, I also brought the subwoofer remote into the front center console. Even didn't need to drill a hole, there was an available gap where you could slide the cable through.

The wires supplied with the subwoofer were long enough without a need to extend anything. It also comes with a 10Amp fuse in the kit, basically everything you need.

So now everything set up and ready to go, how does it sound? This is a very subjective thing to evaluate but it sounds as what you would expect. I knew Pioneer does good products and for a good subwoofer, you need also space. So it sounds very good for the size it has.
It will not shake the car next to you, but it will shake the rear view mirror you are looking at :D
All in all, it comes at a decent price, it is easy to install and fit's Volvo V40 exactly as needed.

I still have some work to do to hide the subwoofer, so stay tuned for the next post!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cool, nicely done :) and well documented. Seems like you have a different amp than I do.

I've started working on my own implementation as well. Will update once I make some more progress.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably because 07/2015 is MY16, it has the changed wiring and also probably then a different amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kepete 1 , hi now that you have had the interface fitted for a while whats your thoughts , also i have a 2016 CC SE wich has the 5" screen do you know if this will work with it. all i want a reversing camera would this do the job ? sorry for all the questions
john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts