Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I want to find out if anyone has replaced their brake calipers from the stock ones to the Polestar brake calipers that are available on the S60 Polestar? (photo for reference).

If so, please could you share the process that you followed.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
39 Posts
It's a bit complicated to do it, i think.
I'm trying to do an upgrade on my stock braking system, but for a 320mm volvo calipers, not the polestar you mentioned. this was expensive for me and not possible because of the rims.
From my searching in this issue you need at minimum 19'' rims to fit those calipers, new caliper braquets, find if they fit the original holes of the suspension arm, new brakelines and i think you need to reset the ECU information of the sensors, because it adds a lot more power and the stock pump could not get the job done.
But it will be perfect to fit!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit complicated to do it, i think.
I'm trying to do an upgrade on my stock braking system, but for a 320mm volvo calipers, not the polestar you mentioned. this was expensive for me and not possible because of the rims.
From my searching in this issue you need at minimum 19'' rims to fit those calipers, new caliper braquets, find if they fit the original holes of the suspension arm, new brakelines and i think you need to reset the ECU information of the sensors, because it adds a lot more power and the stock pump could not get the job done.
But it will be perfect to fit!!!
Hi MagaDs,

thank you for responding to my post. I did some research and spoke to a few technicians about the conversion. The technicians indicated that the brake upgrade is in theory possible, but at the same time, there is a large chance that I will encounter numerous problems and end up making the car's braking system unreliable.

they indicated that I would need to replace the WHOLE braking system. (virtually all the mechanical components of the braking system). I would need to get an aftermarket/ custom set of 19" rims with a sufficient offset to fit the calipers & discs.

The most plausible option would be to install an aftermarket braking system that could operate the calipers. The main problem would be getting the aftermarket system to communicate with the cars ECU. This is where the unreliably would creep in... The last thing I want to do is compromise the car's braking system 😅 So I decided not to pursue the idea any further.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
39 Posts
Hi MagaDs,

thank you for responding to my post. I did some research and spoke to a few technicians about the conversion. The technicians indicated that the brake upgrade is in theory possible, but at the same time, there is a large chance that I will encounter numerous problems and end up making the car's braking system unreliable.

they indicated that I would need to replace the WHOLE braking system. (virtually all the mechanical components of the braking system). I would need to get an aftermarket/ custom set of 19" rims with a sufficient offset to fit the calipers & discs.

The most plausible option would be to install an aftermarket braking system that could operate the calipers. The main problem would be getting the aftermarket system to communicate with the cars ECU. This is where the unreliably would creep in... The last thing I want to do is compromise the car's braking system 😅 So I decided not to pursue the idea any further.
All Right! nice explanation, good to ear, thanks.
Instead of my main idea, i also change my mind and go for a conversion of 278mm brakes to upgrade it to the 300mm brakes.
It's the same front caliper, only need to install differente carrier caliper brackets to the rotors dimension.
I purchase that and it's on the way to some refurbish, painting and install, when i need to change pads and rotors, for what i can learn here in forum i think it's an easy upgrade and enough for tha daily use, with a little more area of rotors to bite and lees fatigue.
I think it's a good compromise (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts