Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears now on the website this option. It seems that it brings the T3 to a T4, with 180 hp and same torque.

http://www.polestar.com/nl-nl/modellen/v40-t3-fwd-manual-6-gear-2013/

I'm not sure if one could also add after this the tune now offered by polestar for the T4. According to a dealer that I asked this would not be possible....

@Vodoobob, maybe they will also bring this to South Africa in the near future...

Regards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looking at the UK Polestar site, it is available on the T3 MY2013 manual only , T4 MY 2014 (both manual and auto versions) , and T4 MY2013 both Manual and auto versions.

T3 goes from 150 to 180 hp (or 110kW to 132 kW),

T4 goes from 180 to 200 hp (or 132 kW to 147 kW) Torque increases from 240 (1600-5000rpm) to 285 (2000-4250 rpm)

http://www.polestar.com/en-gb-gb/models/v40-t4-fwd-manual-6-gear-2014/

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Interesting. See the SA one still only shows for the T4, but maybe next month when all the MY14 models come in, will they maybe make it available for the MY13 T3.

I have actually written a letter to customer relations about my Volvo and all its issues, still waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am confused by polestar, why are they doing maps for the lower output engines and missing the T5 and D4??

Come on I want 200bhp out of my oil burner (and some better low end torque)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Interesting....Does anyone know how much the T3 to T4 Polestar costs?

It can only be assumed this won't be available for the MY14 T3's until the MY15 cars are out (otherwise Volvo might struggle to sell any T4's!)

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would say for the few people who are interested in improving the performance of there cars will still buy a T4 on the basis that whilst the T3 can be mapped up to 180bhp the T4 can be mapped to 200bhp

And remember the majority most people do not even know about polestar or interested in mapping a car as they think this is only done by 'boy racers' and it can cause issues re insurance and resale etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The T3 --> T4 upgrade is around 900-1000 euro.

Speaking about MY15, don't forget that next year the new "VEA" Volvo engines will soon start to be implemented.....This year already with the S60 and other models, and the V40 will get them between 2014 and 2015.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would say for the few people who are interested in improving the performance of there cars will still buy a T4 on the basis that whilst the T3 can be mapped up to 180bhp the T4 can be mapped to 200bhp

True...but considering the list price difference between the T3 & T4 is £1500, Volvo won't be keen on allowing a Polestar upgrade on the T3 for nearly half that price on a very new car!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The T3 --> T4 upgrade is around 900-1000 euro.

Speaking about MY15, don't forget that next year the new "VEA" Volvo engines will soon start to be implemented.....This year already with the S60 and other models, and the V40 will get them between 2014 and 2015.
So those that got their 5 cylinder engines, those will be the last of the line :(

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Under warranty chipping (Polestar) on the lower end models only become available once a newer year model is out. In the case of the T3, you will then be able to upgrade it, but not the new MY14.

As some users have said, why buy a T4 is you can then just upgrade the T3 to the same std power of the T4 for cheaper. But if you want more power, up to 147kw, then you have to get the T4.

For guys in Germany, who are lucky enough to get Heico, you can get the T3 and upgrade.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
See the Netherlands and UK site list the T3, SA still nothing. Germany doesn't even have the V40. All I can think why SA one isn't available yet, is because the V40 hasn't been around here for a year yet, so maybe towards end of year hopefully.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It appears now on the website this option. It seems that it brings the T3 to a T4, with 180 hp and same torque.

http://www.polestar.com/nl-nl/modellen/v40-t3-fwd-manual-6-gear-2013/

I'm not sure if one could also add after this the tune now offered by polestar for the T4. According to a dealer that I asked this would not be possible....

@Vodoobob, maybe they will also bring this to South Africa in the near future...

Regards.
One reason that the T4-engined car has better acceleration than the T3-engined car is that the T4-engined car has lower gearing. https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/models/v40-cross-country/2014/specifications

I'm not convinced that uprating the T3 engine to T4 tune on its own would give a noticeable increase in acceleration.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
T2, what the ****? Must be for old grannies.

On the other hand, the way the stupid exchange rate and petrol prices go, might have to downgrade.

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd say it might have something to do with laws about tuning cars in certain countries... but I'm just guessing really.
I would also suggest it has to do with the cost of certification in various countries. With each individual country they would have to satisfy the authorities regarding the impact on emissions etc for taxation reasons or whatever. This certification process can cost money. So unless the local Volvo company is confident they can recoup the cost of certification (ie how many potential customers does it have), it comes down to a cost-benefit decision.

Tony

1 - 20 of 23 Posts