·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey Tony...
I received that email from Polestar as well...
Very excited!!
Have already hit the "More Information" link provided in the email to be advised when exactly it will be available & the cost involved.

Will be letting my dealer know to expect me :smile2:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd be very interested to see what the figures produced would be especially if they release a T4 optimisation. I read somewhere the new V40 T4 is a 1.5 but only produces 152HP? I must've read it wrong surely? Be interested to see what polestar could do with that though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'd be very interested to see what the figures produced would be especially if they release a T4 optimisation. I read somewhere the new V40 T4 is a 1.5 but only produces 152HP? I must've read it wrong surely? Be interested to see what polestar could do with that though.
Found this article on the new Drive E T4 which says it is a 3 cylinder 1.5L turbo & will have a maximum output of 180hp.
The article was published in Dec 2014 & have no idea how accurate it is. Surprised there isn't more info around considering it's now 5 months since this was published.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/downsizing-downsized-we-drive-volvos-new-three-cylinder-engine/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Found this article on the new Drive E T4 which says it is a 3 cylinder 1.5L turbo & will have a maximum output of 180hp.
The article was published in Dec 2014 & have no idea how accurate it is. Surprised there isn't more info around considering it's now 5 months since this was published.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/downsizing-downsized-we-drive-volvos-new-three-cylinder-engine/
I think it varies depending on the location. Here are MY2016 motors for us. Getting my MY16 T4 awd Drive E 2.0 190 hp in a month.

http://volvoviesti.fi/sites/default/files/imce/moottori_taulukko_2.pdf

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Issuj has noted, the details of all the Drive-E engines were released a couple of weeks ago now. All Drive-E engines - ranging from T2 to T6 for petrol - and D2 to D5 for diesel - are 4-cylinder engines - there are no 3 cylinder engines. Most Drive-E engines are of 2.0l capacity (1,969cc to be precise) with some versions of the T2 and T3 engines being only 1.5l (but still 4 cylinders) for those markets where 2.0l engines are heavily taxed. The Drive-E T4 is a 4 cylinder 2.0l engine.

Attached are the links to the official Volvo technical data for the V40 and V40CC. Note that the new Drive-E T4 is only available in the V40CC and as AWD.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/models/v40/2016/specifications
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/models/v40-cross-country/2016/specifications

Tony

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks Guys...
Reading the article in full I realised they state that the 3 cylinder 1.5l turbo version is at least 2 years away...
It would seem they are looking to sidestep the tax penalties imposed in some markets on 2l engines.

·
Registered
942 Posts
That's a very handy power improvement I must say... They have also managed to increase the torque band 1000rpm higher... Very nice indeed!
Over a second quicker 0-100 km/h is certainly a noticeable improvement! Very keen to see what they can offer for my Drive E T5!

I reckon I might consider leaving the Polestar badge off... I do like the idea of a bit of a sleeper :wink2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a Drive-E engine, but I saw that Polestar had made the optimisation for the T3 available for MY2015 models so had my software upgraded yesterday. Noticeable improvement on pull-aways in low gear :)
http://www.polestar.com/uk/product/v40-t3-fwd-manual-6-gear-2015/

They had run out of polestar badges however so its on backorder.

Not surprised. When we had the Polestar tune applied to our C30 T5 the improvement in both low and mid-range oomph was noticeable even on the drive home from the dealer. Highly recommended.

Reading a bit more about the coming Polestar tune for the Drive-E engines, its not just a remap of the engine - the 8-speed auto also gets the Polestar treatment. Certainly looking forward to the details when they come out.

My only minor grumble with the Polestar tune is that if its simply software with no hardware changes, and it doesn't effect Volvo warranty or impact on fuel economy (and therefore any car taxes related to fuel economy), why isn't the Polestar tune offered as standard across all Drive-E engines across all Volvo models? Yes it would mean an increase in purchase cost of a new car, but if this cost was spread across all Drive-E engines surely that extra cost would be minimal - say $100/50 pounds.

Tony

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not a Drive-E engine, but I saw that Polestar had made the optimisation for the T3 available for MY2015 models so had my software upgraded yesterday. Noticeable improvement on pull-aways in low gear :)
http://www.polestar.com/uk/product/v40-t3-fwd-manual-6-gear-2015/

They had run out of polestar badges however so its on backorder.
If you don't mind me asking Ceejay...
How much did the Polestar tune cost? As it's software only I'm hoping it wasn't too expensive!
Still trying to put out the fire that I started on my bank account just by stretching to the R-Design!
Went in with a T4/D4 Luxury trim as absolute max spend but after driving all 3 walked out with an order for the T5 R-Design...
The lure of knowing there was a DSP equipped Drive E T5 in black sapphire already on it's way to Oz tipped me over the edge :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some numbers on the coming Polestar tune for VEA D4 and T5.
D4: 200hp, 440nm, 0-100km/h Man/Aut 7,2/7,0 sec.
T5: 253hp, 400nm, 0-100-km/h Aut 6,1 sec.

Thanks for those numbers. Must admit I'm a little disappointed. Only a relatively small boost in power although torque is up a fair bit.

D4 : 140kW/400Nm to 149kW/440Nm : 0-100km/h 0.2sec faster

T5 : 180kW/350Nm to 189kW/400Nm : 0-100km/h 0.2sec faster

Was expecting more with the tweaks to both engine and transmission software. But the fairly good increase in torque should help rolling acceleration.

Tony

·
Registered
729 Posts
Rica D4 190Bhp -- 231Bhp and 400Nm -- 480Nm
A 10 bhp increase is well within normal 10% abberation from stock and can even be expected to exist on a standard non-modified car...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here are some numbers on the coming Polestar tune for VEA D4 and T5.
D4: 200hp, 440nm, 0-100km/h Man/Aut 7,2/7,0 sec.
T5: 253hp, 400nm, 0-100-km/h Aut 6,1 sec.
Sorry but I can't believe these figures.. 10 hp gain?? :dodgy:
Who in their right mind would pay (not small amount of money) for this? :s

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sorry but I can't believe these figures.. 10 hp gain?? :dodgy:
Who in their right mind would pay (not small amount of money) for this? :s
You are dead right Dexter... I was thinking the exact same thing!
It's actually only 8hp in the case of my T5 as it's rated at 245hp stock :s (although my converter says 9kw=12hp)
But to be honest, for an 8-12hp & 50nm gain & a 0.2 sec 0-100 improvement they wouldn't want to be asking too much money.
I'll be giving it a miss altogether if those figures are accurate... Assuming they WILL be asking quite a lot of money!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was not hoping that much of an upgrade, but this is worst than I was expecting...

Let's wait for the official release...

In the meantime, I'm planning to install the Unichip on my T5. Some say gains are 45hp and 50nm.

And later I'll have to try the Polestar upgrade, just don't know how yet, as there's no Polestar available in Brazil :(

·
Registered
942 Posts
Did anyone else just have a Polestar email hit their inbox??
Seems RollTheDice was on the money... Though I'm not sure how 253hp constitutes a 25hp increase over stock for the Drive E T5 :s

I would be very interested to hear how much they are asking for one of these limited edition Carbon V40's too if you live in one of the countries able to order one...
Also gotta love how they describe wringing a cars neck as "Active Driving" :)

Email included below...

Volvo V40 Carbon first to get new generation Polestar Performance Optimisation
The first model to get the new Polestar Performance Optimisation is the limited edition Volvo V40 Carbon.
The engineers of Polestar have transfered the same development philosophy as when optimising race cars to the new optimisation for the V40 Carbon. The key areas of improvement are drivability and driving control, fully utilising the latest and most advanced ever drivetrain from Volvo.
The Polestar optimisation has been designed to provide the driver with faster and more exact responses to commands. This enables a clear and predictable behaviour of the car, something that is important for all forms of active driving, no matter on a racing circuit or regular roads.
The development of the optimisation has been focused on five important performance areas of the drivetrain:
Throttle response
Gearshift speed
Gearshift precision and hold
Off-throttle response
Engine performance
A total of 343 V40 Carbon will be produced, available in Finland, France, Japan, the Netherlands and Sweden, with the T5 and D4 engine, producing 253 hp/400 Nm and 200 hp/440 Nm in peak power respectively with the Polestar optimisation*.
The increase in power and torque is concentrated to mid-range** performance, the key area of the engine for active driving, with a maximum increase of 25 hp/50 Nm for the T5 and 16 hp/40 Nm for the D4 in mid-range.
Furthermore, the V40 Carbon includes exclusive carbon details, unique 19-inch wheels, red seat belts and an extensive equipment package.
The first optimisations for other Volvo models with the new Drive-E engines will be released in the last week of June 2015, starting with the T6, T5, D5 and D4 engines, further information will be available here.

* = The Polestar Performance Optimisation is standard for the V40 Carbon in Sweden and optional on other markets.
** = The mid-range of the engine is defined between approximately 2000 to 4500 rpm for petrol engines and 1500 to 3500 rpm for diesel engines.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts