Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did anyone else just have a Polestar email hit their inbox??
Seems RollTheDice was on the money... Though I'm not sure how 253hp constitutes a 25hp increase over stock for the Drive E T5 :s
producing 253 hp/400 Nm and 200 hp/440 Nm in peak power respectively with the Polestar optimisation*.
The increase in power and torque is concentrated to mid-range** performance, the key area of the engine for active driving, with a maximum increase of 25 hp/50 Nm for the T5 and 16 hp/40 Nm for the D4 in mid-range.
* = The Polestar Performance Optimisation is standard for the V40 Carbon in Sweden and optional on other markets.
** = The mid-range of the engine is defined between approximately 2000 to 4500 rpm for petrol engines and 1500 to 3500 rpm for diesel engines.

Got to read the detail in the PR drivel. They don't say there is a 25hp increase in the peak 245hp power - but rather a 25hp/50Nm increase in the "mid-range". Bottom line is that the 0.2sec reduction in the 0-100km/h is very disappointing. It would be more useful if Polestar could provide before-and-after mid-range acceleration times - say 80km/h to 120km/h to get a feel for typical overtaking ability.

Tony

·
Registered
942 Posts
Indeed Tony...
Should have read it more thoroughly before posting!
Though I do struggle with the concept of "finding" an additional 25hp in the midrange only to lose most of it again at the redline!!
I'm really going to have a struggle trying to justify the likely pricey spend on the optimisation based on these figures though... What a shame :(

On a lighter note the Polestar email included a pic of the Carbon V40 & I must say I do like the look of the 19" wheels they have fitted to it!
What does everyone else think? It's freaky how small they make the rear brake rotor look!!
Also looks like they've gone with black dual exhausts...

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Though I do struggle with the concept of "finding" an additional 25hp in the midrange only to lose most of it again at the redline!!
I'd be perfectly fine with this approach.
First, you'll hardly ever operate the engine at the redline therefore the peak power is not that interesting.
Second, raising the torque in mid-revs means that the power stays more constant over a wider range of revs which gives a smooth and constant acceleration in typical driving conditions.
Third, here in Austria for example, we pay the tax as well as the insurance for the peak power of the car. If the peak power stays the same then there is no need to mention the tuning or to pay more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It all sounds to me like they're trying to compensate lack of engineering with marketing.. Will have to try it before investing money, that's for sure!

And that carbon edition looks ridiculously to me. Combination of white car with black wheels and rooftop became outdated 3-4 years ago..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did anyone else just have a Polestar email hit their inbox??
Seems RollTheDice was on the money... Though I'm not sure how 253hp constitutes a 25hp increase over stock for the Drive E T5 :s

I would be very interested to hear how much they are asking for one of these limited edition Carbon V40's too if you live in one of the countries able to order one...
Also gotta love how they describe wringing a cars neck as "Active Driving" :)

Here in Sweden it will be roughly 27 500£.
Must say, it looks alot like my "non-carbon edition :laugh:"..

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks for that RollTheDice! :)
I suspect you could add quite a bit to that figure here in Australia as that figure in pounds is about what I paid for my R-Design when converted to Aus dollars.
Not that I could buy one here anyway but it would certainly be more expensive than the R-Design being a limited edition with the glass roof & 19" wheels I would say!

I do like those wheels though :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just got my Polestar added (T5). For those in Oz, there's a sale on this until end July. I've only driven a few kms back from the dealer so early days, but immediately obvious is the shift logic. Drive mode has moved a step closer to sports, in that you don't have to push the pedal as far for it to realise you're wanting a lower gear. That's a welcome change. The added torque is also immediately obvious off the line.

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Registered
942 Posts
Congrats Mate :)
Glad to hear you're liking the feel of it.
I was just hoping they showed restraint & didn't try so hard to make the box feel like a DSG that they end up making it jerky in stop/start traffic...

I have been pretty happy with the factory shift points so far but of course there is always room for improvement :wink2:

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just got my Polestar added (T5). For those in Oz, there's a sale on this until end July. ................

As I said in the other thread congrads on both the purchase and the Polestar tune. However in light of the news about Polestar I would certainly be waiting at least 2-3 months to see what is washout in the Volvo buyout because I do think the price will come down - and come down considerably.

There's renewed talk in a couple of Volvo forums (Swedespeed and Volvoclub UK) that particularly for the Drive-E engines, because the relatively mild upgrade that it delivers - and most of that appears to be with the transmission rather than the engine - that the current Polestar tune will simply become standard across all Volvo models with Drive-E engines (and not just the R-Design spec models that I had originally thought). Because the tune doesn't increase CO2 emissions there's no tax penalty for those markets which tax fuel efficiency. If this occurs this will significantly drive down the unit cost for those existing owners with Drive-E engines.

The other thought is that now that the Polestar tunes are part of Volvo, there is scope for Volvo to go down the path of AMG/M/S with MB/BMW/Audi respectively and offer engine tunes (and even mechanical upgrade packages) that are no longer constrained by the CO2 emission limitation. This means performance upgrades way in advance of what's currently on offer for the Drive-E engines.

As I say I would certainly be hanging off for a couple of months to see what happens.

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picking up a MY16 V40 CC this weekend and wondering where do you get the Polstar software? Only at the dealers? Or is there a more cost efficient option (Melbourne)?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Picking up a MY16 V40 CC this weekend and wondering where do you get the Polstar software? Only at the dealers? Or is there a more cost efficient option (Melbourne)?
Welcome to the forum SteveC & hearty congrats on the V40 order!!
Always good to hear that another V40 will be hitting the roads of Oz :)
Now that Volvo have bought Polestar, I can't imagine the optimisation would be available from anywhere other than an accredited Volvo dealer.

When the dealer inevitably walks you over to the after sales guys who will do their best to flog you overpriced paint & interior protection packages...
I'd be tempted to say you can't afford to spend another penny... BUT... if you make me a good offer on the Polestar tune... we'll talk :wink2:

Remember to post some pics when you get a chance... Enjoy :wink2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

You can only get it from Volvo dealers (as has always been the case in Australia). Is there a more cost effective option? - yes - you should have negotiated the Polestar tune as part of the purchase price of the car. After you've signed on the dotted line you've got no negotiating power. After the event all you can do is do a ring around of Melbourne Volvo dealers and see what the best price is. Let them know you're doing the ring around.

The other option if you are not in too great of a hurry is to wait a few months. Not only should prices have dropped with Volvo now owning Polestar I think bigger upgrades are on the cards. As it stands the Polestar tunes currently available are pretty tame and are limited by the Volvo-imposed restriction that fuel economy figures are not affected. Now that Volvo owns Polestar I can see that restriction being relaxed.

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm thinking to upgrade my T4 Drive-E to Polestar. Price in Poland around 1000 EUR. And now the question, Is it worth of it? Any experience?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can anyone advice on cold air intakes?? For v40s can't seem to find anything online for the D4s and which ones best for bang for buck.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
20 Posts
Can anyone advice on cold air intakes?? For v40s can't seem to find anything online for the D4s and which ones best for bang for buck.
I think you will be happy with a air filter to the factory box intake.
You have just a good catch to front grill of cold air and not in anyway is restricted...
In my experience and i have a K&N replaced the stock one, it's good enough. Also for V40's you don't have many other cold air intake options like to other brands... carbon air intakes and stuff like that it's pretty good visually, but not so efficient that values for the money you spend

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah ijust bought the k and n drop in filter see how that works im not going to bother taking out the aire box just keep it simple....theres not many upgrades for the v40s is there??? apart from extiror and polestar performance upgrade which i cant justify spending £700 on .

21 - 39 of 39 Posts