Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the unproud owner of what I believe is the Volvo Ireland press car picked up as demo from local dealer last week....despite it's lovely style attributes and rave reviews which prompted me to purchase it for my wife, it failed to start two days after I got it home, was brought back to the dealer with alleged immobiliser problems, and once gain failed to start for the same reason when she arrive back at the airport from a trip today. I can provide a lot more details but I would like to know if any other owners have the same issue. I am tempted to remark that Volvos are the safest cars on the road precisely because they do not actually drive. How Volvo Ireland deals with this will be a real test of their confidence in this model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hm ... i know some issue from a other forum.

The car failed to start and the user must pushed the start button 5-10 times.

Please inform us what the dealer says.

(What for engine you have ??)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NicoNic said:
Hm ... i know some issue from a other forum.

The car failed to start and the user must pushed the start button 5-10 times.

Please inform us what the dealer says.

(What for engine you have ??)
Its the 1.6 diesel but I don't think the problem is related to the engine. No contact yet from dealer. It took 5 hours yesterday (a Sunday) to get a replacement car so needless to say we are not happy bunnies...will keep you updated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Volvo had better watch this space and fix your problems fast - in this ever growing competitive segment, they can't afford to let this slip.. after all there aren't many english sites on the v40 - so any future potential buyer who searches "v40 potential major problems" is bound to see this thread sooner or later..

good luck mate! do update us if its fixed so that we know what to look out for!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers subtlesilver... what's amazing is the car was picked up yesterday (Sunday) and as of now, 15.15 Monday, I have had absolutely no contact from the dealer and/or Volvo. And it took almost 5 hours for them to get my wife (the driver) a replacement car - she had a pretty horrible weekend as she had been delayed six hours getting to Heathrow on Friday, had her Sunday PM return flight changed to a red-eye morning flight on Sunday as the original was cancelled due to the weather, spent two hours on the tarmac awaiting deicing, and arrived back at the airport here bleary eyed - last thing she wanted was a car that didn't start.

·
451 Posts
I may well confirm that when the engine is cold it may take two or even three pushes on the start button to get the engine running, not all the times but when temperature falls at something like 5 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
raytint said:
I may well confirm that when the engine is cold it may take two or even three pushes on the start button to get the engine running, not all the times but when temperature falls at something like 5 degrees Celsius.
Well, the dealer got in touch to state that they had traced the problem to a communication with the CAN module (???). No word on when a fix will be confirmed but they have supplied a brand new car. They are talking to Volvo about the issue so I'll update the final outcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had my V40 for 5 days, on delivery the delivery man locked it and set the alarms off then was unable to unlock it. Eventually he had to take the door handle cover off and open the door manually. The next day I tried to start and it imbolized itself. It started after 20mins. Then today had the alarms/locked self again. It's sitting on the drive and I am unable to get it in it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally diagnosed as a loose connection to a control module located somewhere under the front wheel arch which was causing CAN_bus errors. I am assured that it is 100% fixed but have agreed to let Volvo hold on to it for a few days so they can road test it under different conditions to be 110% sure. Looking forward to getting back on 18 inch wheels - the car is so much more poised compared to the 16 inch ones on the loan V40.

·
Registered
70 Posts
MMY said:
Finally diagnosed as a loose connection to a control module located somewhere under the front wheel arch which was causing CAN_bus errors. I am assured that it is 100% fixed but have agreed to let Volvo hold on to it for a few days so they can road test it under different conditions to be 110% sure. Looking forward to getting back on 18 inch wheels - the car is so much more poised compared to the 16 inch ones on the loan V40.
Good luck and I hope your saga is over.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have an appointment at the workshop february 11 to fix:

- Gearshift lever (normally the lever returns to the center position when you have it between gears, but not anymore...)
- Wind noise at right passenger side (whistling) at speeds above 70KM/t
- Undercarriage rattle, only when driving on cobblestone
- The rear window on the passenger side vibrates slightly, it stops if you roll the window down and up again ..

Hope they manage to fix everything!

·
Registered
352 Posts
So, there I was in the local supermarket. car (CC D3 diesel automatic) nice and warm, all loaded and ready to go home, press button, up comes IMMOBILISER. TRY TO START AGAIN. Obligingly, I did so, same again, and again, and again. Visions of having to carry all this shopping home. Finally, I tried a complete start, got out of car, locked it, unlocked it, started it, and this time it worked. Hope this doesn't happen too often. I notice that the handbook says that, if this persists, take it to a Volvo garage. That's the trouble with these computers on wheels called cars - if there are software problems, you are stuck.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If the dealer can not help saying they can not find a fault etc, next time it happens call out the AA or whoever so you have evidence of the issue.

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the dealer can not help saying they can not find a fault etc, next time it happens call out the AA or whoever so you have evidence of the issue.

Good luck

get a dealer to look at it....non gen diagnostics will not communicate with the correctly,even worse they might erase anything usefull,get it recoverd in a failed state,they stand a much better chance of locating the fault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts