Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a quick search through the forum and found a few old posts, but was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I'm interested in either the D2 or D4 Geartronic, 80% of my journeys are on the motorway doing the speed limit (70mph). Would the D4 with the 8 speed gearbox be more economical and run more effortlessly than the D2s 6 speed?

What do you guys average on the motorways?

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you are going to be doing motorways mostly sitting at 70mph on cruise control, the T3 should get you about 48mpg give or take 2mpg (this is my personal experience). The D2 perhaps should give you 63mpg give or take, and D4 should give you 60mpg give or take. If I drop my cruise speed to 67mph, I can get closer to 50mpg on T3.
If you don't travel into big cities or rarely do, I suggest the D4. If you do city driving and motorway driving, or less than 8000 miles a year, go T3. 8 speed would probably be more economical yes...(in theory).

Which ever 2nd hand car you get, once you get it, make sure you put 2 full tanks of Shell's or Esso's finest (most expensive) fuel, as it would give the engine a good 'clean.'

·
Registered
583 Posts
D4 all day long, in cruise at 70 I would expect 68-70mpg

I drove the 5 mile commute steadily (a rare occurrence) to work this morning, all B roads. from cold (granted it is not winter) and averaged 64mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies, I'll definitely be going for a diesel over the petrol, 68mpg out of the D4 would be a dream come true, having that performance with that level of economy

·
Registered
583 Posts
The only negative with the D4 is that the torque is very addictive, so good mpg has to go hand in hand with a high degree of self control ;-).

Generally short commutes from cold (sub 10 miles) on a mix of A & B roads start stop with a mix of winter and summer will average you 46mpg.

You would really have to cane a D4 to average less than 45mpg, I drive mine ‘with gusto’ and cannot recall seeing 44 or less mpg average.

Please bear in mind mine is manual and Polestar tho, which may or may not be relevant. Thoughts on mpg from non-p/s D4 owners appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wifes D2 VEA does about 4.6L/100km but it is mostly highway driving.
My mate's D4 Geartronic does avg 6.5L/100km however, he does more urban driving.
When I drive my wife's car, it averages 8.6L/kms as I have a very heavy foot and always keep it on sports mode (don't tell her that)

Yes, I would prefer a diesel over the petrol as I am addicted to the torque (my XC90 is diesel too). It sprints from 0-60mph in no time. However, you have to factor in DPF life so mostly short trips are a big no-no for diesel cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a quick search through the forum and found a few old posts, but was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I'm interested in either the D2 or D4 Geartronic, 80% of my journeys are on the motorway doing the speed limit (70mph). Would the D4 with the 8 speed gearbox be more economical and run more effortlessly than the D2s 6 speed?

What do you guys average on the motorways?
Hi Guimaras i have a D2 With auto and i can get on the Motorway on Cruise between 48 to 61 mpg, the 1.6 is more than enough power if you sit at 70mph, i live in Ireland and out max speed is 75 mph on Motorways and of course its all weather dependent ie: windy, if its behind you you will get better mpg as i do but my worst is always around 47 to 48mpg, i have just done a trip to england and averaged 50 to 60mpg keeping to the speed limit on the Motorways, if you want more power go for the bigger engine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No brainier. Go for the D4 if you like driving. Go for D2 if you're on a budget.

I would argue that D4 uses less fuel or similar to the D2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting you say that Johnie because i did try to use the optional Gear change, should have said i have Tiptronic Auto and every time the auto beat me hands down on MPG also with a Golf TDI 1.6 i had prior to the V40 CC, but i guess its also how you drive (accelerate) and break etc as you say on a Budget D2 hands down also you have to factor in Insurance costs etc. Rick

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a manual 6 btw. Automatic transmission will kill that efficiency
I've had both a 6-speed manual D4 V40 and an 8-speed automatic D4 V40 (both the newer VEA engines) and in reality there's only a couple MPG difference between the two. I can still regularly get between 60-65mpg with the automatic transmission with regular motorway driving.

Honestly I prefer everything about the automatic. It's smoother, it's more relaxed and the Adaptive Cruise Control/Queue Assist combination is wonderful. (In my mind, ACC on a manual is pretty much pointless and Queue Assist isn't available with manual transmission for the obvious reasons).

As for D4 vs D2, for me there's no competition. D4 every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts