Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :),

I do not know if any of you noticed the same thing but when accelerating hard (flooring it) in 1st and 2nd gear, my instant power usage never catches up with the indicator of available power. I am of course talking about the power meter which can be seen when the Performance theme is selected on the TFT display. However, it will always catch up almost immediately when accelerating hard in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear.

I made sure the engine is not running cold, even turned of AC and put the traction control into sport mode so the engine does not limit the power delivered to the wheels and went on a dry stretch of road to try it out. Same result as usual.

My Volvo is a 1.6 T4 with a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like torque limiting being applied electronically to save the gearbox.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like torque limiting being applied electronically to save the gearbox.
Could be, I just find it weird that they offer a Polestar upgrade with more torque and power yet the first two gears are already limited. Might be just my car though. Not a big issue, will ask about it next time I come in for a checkup, just wondered if anyone with the same setup experiences this.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Power

Could be, I just find it weird that they offer a Polestar upgrade with more torque and power yet the first two gears are already limited. Might be just my car though. Not a big issue, will ask about it next time I come in for a checkup, just wondered if anyone with the same setup experiences this.
For your info max power on any turbo car is normally found when the motor is under load you don't load the engine in first and second as the ratios are ment to allow for acceleration.
Secondly the power meter ( lol not ) is a glorified vacuum gauge .
The gauge has a real use you can use it to tell the weather .high pressure /low pressure.
Where I stay 1670 meters above sea level the gauge will never get close to max power as its a deferential difference of about 20% to sea level .The gauge is just a toy...

Reactions: Morho

·
Registered
202 Posts
For your info max power on any turbo car is normally found when the motor is under load you don't load the engine in first and second as the ratios are ment to allow for acceleration.
Torque limiting of lower ratios is very common in many cars ECUs.

The 850 turbo did it and probably others before it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Torque limiting of lower ratios is very common in many cars ECUs.

The 850 turbo did it and probably others before it.
Agree with you completely and the use of abs sensors to kill power if the front to rear wheel speeds differ more then 10 % also kills the fun

Reactions: cueba11

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem or "feature" here with my T4 with manual box. In the beginning when I just got the car I couldn't accept that the power is capped in the 1st and 2nd gear. I wrote a letter to the official Volvo importer for the Netherlands.

They didn't ackowledge this short comming and send me back to my local dealership to work things out... yeah right. So after all I did accept this but it still sucks because in 1st and 2nd gear it doesn't feel like a car with 200bhp... (I've got the polestar upgrade). I still got owned at sprints by eco-powered-diesels and other hybrid trash :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
So after all I did accept this but it still sucks because in 1st and 2nd gear it doesn't feel like a car with 200bhp... (I've got the polestar upgrade).
Should have got a D4 - no issues with 1st & 2nd pick up - although you cannot stray over 4k rpm without a 'lull' when changing up

It's 190 bhp feels more like 250

I still got owned at sprints by eco-powered-diesels and other hybrid trash :(
Don't suppose they had D4 on the back of them did they? :)

couldn't resist... Only teasing

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same problem or "feature" here with my T4 with manual box. In the beginning when I just got the car I couldn't accept that the power is capped in the 1st and 2nd gear. I wrote a letter to the official Volvo importer for the Netherlands.

They didn't ackowledge this short comming and send me back to my local dealership to work things out... yeah right. So after all I did accept this but it still sucks because in 1st and 2nd gear it doesn't feel like a car with 200bhp... (I've got the polestar upgrade). I still got owned at sprints by eco-powered-diesels and other hybrid trash :(
That's a **** shame. So did the dealership admit that it is really limited in 1st and 2nd? Or you didn't bother asking?

edit: I like how d.a.m*n. is worthy of censorship :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
Torque limiters are not new, it is the cheaper way to save £'s instead of fitting a LSD etc.

Re the power meter, ignore it, it is stupid, I have posted before how onmy D4 up to 2,000rpm (only 25% of available rpm being used) it is showing about 50% of the power available but if you floor it nothing happens, then when you get over 2,000 revs the engine starts to come to life and by 3,000 rpm it pulls like a train (torque steer etc) yet the power gauge hardly moves.

I would rather have that gauge as the speedo and have a full clock in the centre dial as the rev counter alone

·
Registered
252 Posts
My T3 is the same :thumb down:

Feels like 120 brake in 1st and 2nd, I'm not bothered though as the only time I sprint in lower gears: is the rare occasion I join a dual carriageway from a short slip.
The wide rev band and torque in 3rd makes up for it when overtaking :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.