Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ,

Last Friday I saw a message “ power steering service required “ after which the steering went stiff .
Every time now after starting the engine the message appears and then steering goes stiff .
I did disconnect the battery trying to reset maybe a fault sensor ? Nope .
Also silly me ; checked for a steering fluid reservoir everywhere ( yep , it’s an electric system )
What else can I do before going to see the mechanic ( I am dreading the news )

Mark, Volvo v40 2013 2.0 diesel manual .
Also many thanks 🙏

· Registered
1 Posts
Although not a Volvo, my Ford Kuga displays the message " power steering malfunction " when I start on a cold morning, only lasts for a second. I'm told it's a glitch caused by the drop in battery voltage during starting. Doesn't affect the steering.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although not a Volvo, my Ford Kuga displays the message " power steering malfunction " when I start on a cold morning, only lasts for a second. I'm told it's a glitch caused by the drop in battery voltage during starting. Doesn't affect the steering.
Yeah, but my steering goes stiff indeed .
Battery is 1 year old .
It cannot be that .
Thanks for You input anyway !
I will keep on looking.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
You're realistically going to need proper Volvo diagnostics connected to say what is wrong.

Reactions: RS3100 and Marek34

· Super Moderator
767 Posts
best you can probably do is check all the fuses and the multiplugs on the power steering motor

· Super Moderator
767 Posts
There is a fuse for the power steering?
I will give the check
The V40 has electric power steering not hydraulic.

That is why when the start/stop system activates you can still move the steering as you would when the engine is running.

Reactions: Marek34

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The V40 has electric power steering not hydraulic.

That is why when the start/stop system activates you can still move the steering as you would when the engine is running.
I cannot locate a “ Power steering fuse “ location.
There is a fuse for “ Power lock “
What number and where is the fuse for power steering ? Anyone got an idea?

· Registered
10 Posts
I cannot locate a “ Power steering fuse “ location.
There is a fuse for “ Power lock “
What number and where is the fuse for power steering ? Anyone got an idea?
There are fuses but it mostlikely be the steering rack. Did one the other week. After testing wiring and communications. Lucky preloaded with a software to run it to a dealer or workshop to reload correct SW

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are fuses but it mostlikely be the steering rack. Did one the other week. After testing wiring and communications. Lucky preloaded with a software to run it to a dealer or workshop to reload correct SW
Yep ,
Its a mechanical Problem .
Something “ burnt out “ like a mini engine or mechanism.
I tried everything before taking it to mechanic but it’s not a matter of loose wires or a fuse .
Many thanks for your answer !

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys ,

Last Friday I saw a message “ power steering service required “ after which the steering went stiff .
Every time now after starting the engine the message appears and then steering goes stiff .
Also silly me ; checked for a steering fluid reservoir everywhere ( yep , it’s an electric system )

Also many thanks 🙏
V
Sure it's not a sticky relay?
V40 owner power steering service required garage tells me new steering rack required £1800 +vat did you solve your problem???

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ok. So my mechanic placed a used steering rack but from o different car .
Same matching part numbers .
Same problem. Hard to steer and again “steering service required “ message is on .
Now that part was programmed for the other car only .
You cannot program it for my car .
Volvo is programming parts effectively locking it up just for one particular car !!!
Only Volvo can give me a new part and program it which the cost will be huge .
What can I do ? Can I take the module form the old part which should have the right program ? Volvo are so cheeky ! Last time I bought this junk .

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Hi guys ,

Also many thanks 🙏
HI did you manage to fix the power steering problem, coz I'm also experiencing the same problem.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys ,

Also many thanks 🙏
Hi
I'm experiencing this problem, was yours fixed.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am suspicious its a battery voltage fault, my v40 battery is now 9 years old, and I get this steering fault when engine is cold, only lasts a few seconds tho. Car still starts nicely even at -5, so wont replace battery till it fails.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts