Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Normally replacement keys for similar brands are about £100 or so.

You do realise as soon as you get home with your new key the old one will turn up
Of course it will! ;)

When I bought my new Astra in 2006, I personally hid the other key. I heard stories how burglars first look for car keys, and we had had a burglary attempt the previous year. Since my better half didn't drive at the time, I decided to hide it somewhere where burglars would never look.

Turned out I did one helluva job. A couple of years later, when my wife learned to drive and needed the other key, I couldn't remember where I put it for the life of me... Turned the house upside down and we couldn't find it, that's how well I had hidden it. We ordered another one, it costed around 40 quid at the time.

A year or two later, as I was doing a revision of medicines and drugs in order to throw away the ones that were beyond their expiry date, I found myself wondering - what kind of idiot would put a spare key in a medicine box? :huh::rolleyes::blush:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Of course it will! ;)

When I bought my new Astra in 2006, I personally hid the other key. I heard stories how burglars first look for car keys, and we had had a burglary attempt the previous year. Since my better half didn't drive at the time, I decided to hide it somewhere where burglars would never look.

Turned out I did one helluva job. A couple of years later, when my wife learned to drive and needed the other key, I couldn't remember where I put it for the life of me... Turned the house upside down and we couldn't find it, that's how well I had hidden it. We ordered another one, it costed around 40 quid at the time.

A year or two later, as I was doing a revision of medicines and drugs in order to throw away the ones that were beyond their expiry date, I found myself wondering - what kind of idiot would put a spare key in a medicine box? :huh::rolleyes::blush:
Talking about Astra they had a nice touch with the keys. Each key remembered the dash and displays settings when you switched off. So she had her key and i had mine and the settings were as we each liked. C'mon Volvo -catch up!!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
But aren't these new modern smart keys very expensive?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Talking about Astra they had a nice touch with the keys. Each key remembered the dash and displays settings when you switched off. So she had her key and i had mine and the settings were as we each liked. C'mon Volvo -catch up!!
Erm mine does that ? My wife has her key and I have mine. I favour the blue display and she always has red. It sets it up accordingly, along with mirrors and seat position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently lost my car key somewhere in Austria along with my apartment key. The dealer in Switzerland is charging me 280 CHF for a replacement and they asked me to take the car to the dealer so they can program it. So I took the car to the dealer last Friday and turns out the programming software they use did not work, so I wasted my time going there for nothing, and now have to go back some other time :(

·
Registered
630 Posts
Seem to have lost spare set of keys for my d2. Anyone know how much i would be looking at for a replacement? its the 5 button type.
Digressing slightly ~ don't lose your locking wheel bolt key. I don't think you can order a spare wheel bolt key on its own. The only way to get another key is to order a kit which contains a new set of 4 bolts as well. You then have to get the original bolts cut off. So don't lose the original wheel bolt key!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.