Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya all,

my wife wants to buy a rebel blue r design.

I have spoken to a couple of dealers 100 mile south who are happy tive me a much better deal .

My local dealer is point blank refusing to get within £1500 of the price

I can get £19500 but my local dealer is saying they cant go below £21k

Any advice guys

·
Registered
945 Posts
My cars come from all over the country, if there was only £100 in it I would go local but for that price I would travel.

For example please of distances (ones I can remover off the top of my head)

Audis from Dundee
Lotus from bath

I am in Sheffield

Remember your local dealer will still deal with any warranty issues that arise post delivery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers denis, just annoys me that the price is achievable, but my dealer wont do it.

They wouldn't even discuss it, normally i find i am able to haggle with dealers, given theres no part ex involved

·
Registered
945 Posts
Different dealers may be closer to their target than others so do not need to offer the same discount.

I always get a good discount off all the cars I buy, even the ones that supposedly you can't get any discount off like the evoque

The other year I got close to 25% off a decent merc in the correct colour etc the other year

I am just buying a d2 and getting a very good discount off that, it just takes some work (which it seems you have done)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discounts

Hi all.

My D2 R Design is due for delivery third week in September and I got a 12% discount without much trouble here in south Wales.
Further negotiations gained me an extended warranty I'm happy so seems the dealer.

Peter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have emailed my local depot with 3 quotes which are exactly 2k below the deal they wanted to offer me. I am in no hurry and the sales guy was good with us, my impression was either he thought we wernt serous or the garage concerned didnt want my business.
IT is annoying that there isnt much competition around and is dominated by one dealership franchise. Maybe thats the reason.
They claim to be mak8ng no money on my car yadda yadda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Annoying when you know it is viable. If the other dealers were making a loss they wouldnt be in business.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Annoying when you know it is viable. If the other dealers were making a loss they wouldnt be in business.
The price the dealer has to pay to buy the car is dependent on how many they buy/sell. Dealers who sell a lot of cars will be buying at a lower price and will therefore be able offer a better deal. Some dealers will have higher overheads and this will adversely affect the deal that they can offer. There's no fixed formula.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The economics of new car dealerships can be a bit involved and differ between dealerships. It's not just a straight profit margin situation and a deal for one dealership may not be viable for another.

For a £1500 price difference I would happily travel 100 miles to a dealer who wanted my business at the price I wanted to pay.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The economics of new car dealerships can be a bit involved and differ between dealerships. It's not just a straight profit margin situation and a deal for one dealership may not be viable for another.
Exactly. Some dealers buy direct from the manufacturer. However, some smaller dealers may buy from a larger dealer, so the profit margin has to be shared. I've even known dealers source cars of a different make to the one which they're have a franchise for.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Dealers make little on new cars and can sell them at a loss, with some of the loss being covered by 'assistance'/'support' from the manufacturer and the 'bonus' form the manufacture for hitting targets etc. is where the real profit is

As above if the dealer is at the target already so getting the bonus then no need ot sell at a loss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts