Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H all, I am a member on two other volvo forums but just came across this one specifically for the V40.
So here is my story......take a seat, it will be a long read lol.

6 or so weeks ago I bought my first ever volvo, it is a V40 and I instantly fell in love with it! 2 weeks after I bought it it broke down! Long story short it need a replacement throttle body. I bought a second hand one from eBay and fitted it myself.
Eventually it ran fine.
When I bought the car I knew it needed a new rear wheel bearing and both outer cv joints.
I bought the parts and had a mechanic friend fit them for me.
He fitted the wheel bearing last weekend but could not do the joints at that time due to them being the wrong parts. I eventually found the right ones online with a company based in Birmingham, I can not over stress how fantastic this particular company is but they not only supplied the correct ones but they were so cheap it is unbelievable! They also delivered to me the next day and the parts have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty! If anybody needs either driveshafts cv joints or brake calipers then let me know and I will tell you the companies name and number.
I digress, my friend fitted the cv joints yesterday and I collected the car from him. I drove up the road he lives on and pressed the brake pedal to stop at the t junction.......there was a noise from the front and the pedal would not depress far. Although the car was slowing down i could not make it stop in time and I ended up halfway over the line with traffic coming at me from the right!
It happened to me 2 more times during the short journey home and so I went to a friends house who is a volvo fanatic and he said it seems the mechanic has done something (accidentally) to the abs sensor which now thinks when I am braking that I am actually braking hard enough to lock the brakes up and is taking over the braking to stop this locking up from happening!
I have taken the fuse out of the fuse box that pertains to the ABS system which now means it no longer is doing this but I don't have anti lock anymore. Not the end of the world but I would like it working.

Does anyone else have any other ideas as to what may be causing this or does anyone else concur with what my friend thinks?

Regards,

Blaise

·
Registered
47 Posts
This forum is for the new 2012 + V40, but in answer to your question - it could be that the ABS servo has been moved so it's no longer touching or being spun by the ABS reluctor rings (These are essentially a big cog, with a little motor in the teeth of the ring - when the ring stops spinning this means that the wheels aren't turning so ABS kicks in - if the motor isn't in correct position it won't turn and it will be as if the wheels are locked all the time).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta

Ah ok. I will take my old v40 and limp back to the other volvo forums lol. Thank you for the reply anyway. If I ever own a newer v40 I will be back :). Thanks again anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts