Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I got my volvo a week ago, and I'm interested in getting it remapped. To be honest I have no issues with the current power output, I mainly want to do it to get even more MPG.

From the quantum website they claim it gives you power, torque, and MPG gains, and never exceeds the limit your car can handle. They say that if you continue to drive normally, it doesnt put any extra strain on the car that it can't handle.

My only worry, is how true is this? Is there any studies that have shown that a remap (within limits) give a high chance of major parts breaking from increased strain over time? Or is the occasional story I read of that just a rare occasion, or someone who's remapped by someone dodgy?

Has anyone got any experience with quantum or recapping in general that can help shed some light?

For reference, I have a volvo v40 2017 D3. So the 4 cylinder 150bhp 350nm car.

Quantum claim that will rise to 200bhp, and 450nm with 10-15% better mpg.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
268 Posts
The D4 version is mapped at 187bhp and 450nm torque so it should be ok.
When you have that power you just need to drive with some. mechanical sympathy. Put that power through a cold engine and transmission from standstill of course you'll wreck it. Just remember the basic physics.
I managed to strip the teeth off a Morris minor differential by dropping the clutch aggressively, you can stress anything if you put your mind to it , regardless of the power.

·
Registered
290 Posts
D3 and D4 have different turbo and gearbox, you cannot compare them.
Anyhow, it all depends on how you will use it. Some tuners in Belgium also offer ECO tuning, which only increases the torque.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One thing to check , as these engines do have a few inherent faults is whether a remap could allow Volvo to wriggle out of any warranty repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input so far everyone!

Interesting to know that the D3 and D4 use different parts so cannot guarantee that the D3 can handle the extra power.

I don't know whether to trust it or not; but with quantum their ecu files are individually tested and used for every different model. So it's not like it's a generic remap that the volvo can't handle, but it's designed to not be too much for me car....apparently...

However I can say I'm not doing it for the extra power, and will not be driving it like a hooligan. I'm mainly doing it for the 15 percent MPG increase, and the extra torque for safer overtakes. But my average driving is a hearty acceleration to the speed limit, then cruise control when there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing to check , as these engines do have a few inherent faults is whether a remap could allow Volvo to wriggle out of any warranty repairs.
In terms of warranty, my car is out of manufacturer's warranty now.... I have got 12 months with my local garage that i brought the car from, so that's something else to consider i guess

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are things like for example the EGR cooling loop which Volvo will still fix beyond the standard warranty sometimes. You'll see the other posts here the fun and games some others have with Volvo dealers on these issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts