Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Recently ordered my V40 R Design D2 In white with winter pack, wiper sensor and shaded glass at the rear. Delivery estimated to be 20th September delayed because of holidays at factory in Ghent.

Are there any R design owners out there who are able to give their opinion on the suspension and the firmness of the ride as it appears from the forum that all R design are fitted with a sport set up.

Thanks for a great forum full of good advice and humour.

:huh:
Thanks in advance. Peter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The D2 now has the sports suspension as standard but other engines don't...who knows why.

We don't find it bad at all, certainly nice handling, but more than fine on todays less than good roads :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
The D2 has a different and therefore lighter engine and therefore different suspension to the D3 and D4.

I went for the sports chassis but it is still too high at the back IMHO

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you are worried about the ride in the D2 being too firm, I wouldn't be. I have a bad back, bad MVA in 1993 in South Africa, and I find the ride to be comfortable. My D2 has the 225/45/R17 tyres and it's still comfortable on my back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
By the time you get two rear passengers and a boot full of shopping in the back, it sits low enough ;)

I'll be honest though, the sports suspension height looks 'right' to me, ours sits pretty even height front and rear.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The D2 has a different and therefore lighter engine and therefore different suspension to the D3 and D4.

I went for the sports chassis but it is still too high at the back IMHO
Yep, but why put the sports suspension standard on the D2 R Design and not the other engines? Having a different engine doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for you advice it confirms my decision to buy the V40 over the Audi A3, BMW1 and the Golf. all good to drive but so uninspiring to look at. Dull !!!.
The V40 matches all the above mechanically and for build quality.

Can anybody confirm the D2 engine is the same as Fords TDCI as I believe the engine was developed in partnership when they belonged to the same group.

Peter

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had a 118d Msport, then a A3 Black edition and now the V40.

The audi was terrible, such a boring car to drive, and despite what you may hear the buld quality wa sno better thank anything else (it had rattles)

The BM was very good but pants in snow, but a good drive otherwise, just a little small.

When it came ot ordering the V40 I nearly went for the current 120D Msport (the upgrade brakes would have looked good behind a set of 19's but the emissions were not as good as with the volvo and I wanted to keep my BIK down.

To be honest I am glad I did go for the volvo as I love driving it, the seat position is good the ride is taut, it looks sharp than the driver interface works well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The D2 is from Ford, though no idea if it is exactly the same or not, Google isn't being very helpful today :) It is also found in Peugeot and Citroen cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My dealer told me the D2 engine is the Ford Duratorq, which was developed jointly with Citroen & Peugeot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts