Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new V40 Nordic+ with sensus navigation (model 2017) is a fine car but it does show one irritating issue. While driving with FM radio and navigation on sometimes the radio sound disappears and seconds after that the navigation screen turns black. Then the radio picks up again and after about 5 seconds the navigation system is starting up, wich takes about 10 sec., after wich the display shows a wrong car position until it finds its way back some seconds afterwards. Anyone who recognises this, or knows about a solution? The dealer mechanic did a computer check, said he could not find any malfunction. It is not a very big deal, but when it comes to trusting your navigation, it does'nt feel good.
(New to this forum, living and driving in the south of The Netherlands)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would say it's likely there is a loose connection in the cabling somewhere in the Infotainment Control Module (ICM - the screen and buttons) or the Integrated Audio Module (IAM - the head unit behind the dash that runs the media player and Nav software).

On cars with the higher level multimedia systems (like yours that has the Nav option), the system consists of 4 components:
The ICM and IAM in the dash, as mentioned above
The Audio Module (AUD) which contains the digital to analogue converter, 5:1 decoder and amplifiers and is sited under the front passenger seat
The DAB Module (DABM), which contains the DAM decoder and is sited in the boot behind the left rear interior trim panel (it has to be near the antenna feed from the tailgate window.

The 4 modules are linked together via a digital interface that runs on an optical fibre loop, called the MOST Bus (Media Oriented System Transport). The MOST interface is used by many car manufacturers for their more advanced media systems as it allows an easy way to interconnect modules and reliable transmission of high-speed digital data. Only the physical interface is standard though, and most manufacturers have developed their own proprietary protocols to carry the data round the network.

Part of Volvo's MOST protocol is a security system called MOST Lock. Each node on the MOST ring has a unique Node ID (like the MAC address on a PC's ethernet interface), and when the car is built the ICM has the Node IDs of the other nodes on the network programmed into it. When it's running normally, the ICM constantly polls the other nodes to verify their identities. If it gets no reply from one of the nodes, or a reply from a node it has no record of it will shut down the media system completely (though you should still see the climate system display at the bottom of the screen). Volvo have implemented this as a way of preventing modules from stolen cars being reused (though it also means you can't use second hand parts to replace a faulty module so have to buy genuine parts and have them replaced by a dealer at great expense).

The reason why I mention this is that there have been a few cases on the forum over the past couple of years of the media system temporarily shutting down which were traced to a loose connection on the MOST Bus connectors, the most common one being the connection to the AUD module under the seat. If you still see the climate display on the screen when your media system shuts down and restarts, it's quite likely to be a loose MOST connector somewhere and it's worth checking under the seat first (it's a flat rectangular plug with 2 orange-jacketed plastic optical fibres coming out of it - the AUD connections are visible when looking forwards from the rear passenger footwell). Make sure it's pushed fully home - there is a plastic latch at the side of the connector that should click when it's inserted into the socket fully..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx

Thank you for this information. I doubt if i can inspect the components you mention, but i will take it to the attention of the dealers mechanic. See if he can work on this, other than scanning the diagnosis tool and replying that there is no message of malfunction.
Btw when the system restarts there is no more indication whatsoever, no temp, no other info, only complete black.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Frans,
in My16 happened the same, I saw only short message "Your system will be reset in 5 seconds..." or similar, after that black screen, reset and start again working. That has happened only ones on motorway so I forgot about that. Now I see I need take care about it. If will you find reason for this problem lets us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi krzysiek,
To me it sometimes happens six times during a ride of no more than 15 km. And then, it stops all of a sudden for a few days but then it repeats itself several times during one single ride. I'll let you know as soon as I or they found a solution. Already followed the advice of Buzby to fasten the connector with the orange plugs beneath the drivers seat. It seemed to be well connected. So far I am not sure if this solves the problem, as i didn't ride it yet.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thank you for this information. I doubt if i can inspect the components you mention, but i will take it to the attention of the dealers mechanic. See if he can work on this, other than scanning the diagnosis tool and replying that there is no message of malfunction.
Btw when the system restarts there is no more indication whatsoever, no temp, no other info, only complete black.
If the screen is going completely blank then it's probably not not a MOST Lock-related problem. The screen is the ICM module - as well as controlling the multimedia system it also handles the input and display output for the Climate Control Module and the Central Electronic Module (for the car menus and settings) from the car's CANBus and LINBus data communication networks. As the screen is going completely blank it sounds more like either a cable fault or loose power or bus connection on the back of the ICM, or a fault with the ICM itself (possibly a dry joint or overheating component on it's PCBs).

Again, I think there has been at least one other similar fault with the ICM reported on this forum over the past couple of years. Unfortunately even to check the connections on the ICM requires partial dismantling of the dashboard facia. The instructions for the dealer-fit option to upgrade the 5" screen to the 7" screen show what's involved, and gives an idea of the number of connectors on the back of the ICM that could be the problem:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-467829-5/2013

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Buzby, I owe you one. After several drives today the problem did'nt repat. Possibly because i pushed the orange connector yesterday, but one never knows if next day things will reappear.
Coming thursday the dealer will have a party for disclosing the new S90 and V90; I will go there and inform them on your insights on the possible ICM Issue. Curious to hear their reaction, and their willingness to further inspection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My infotainment in my Volvo V40, 2017, turn on, only with Volvo logo in the screen, I can have the radio station, after 3 minutos it shut down, after one minute it turns on again. The keyboard doesn't work. I visited today Volvo assistance, they charge new software, I payed 200 CHF, and it remains the same, because they don't know wich is the problem, they said that I should change all the module (3.000 CHF). What can I do in a 3 years old car? This is my first Volvo, I necer had this problems with my old cars (Mercedes and BMW)!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts