Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All.

I've recently been having a problem with my 2014 V40 XC. Basically at any time while driving, random warnings appear on the dash - ABS, ESC, Engine Coolant, Tyre Pressure, Steering malfunction, Pedestrian protection and many more. The speedo reading and indicator repeaters come and go too. There seems to be no problem with these systems, it's just random warnings.

The car was first looked at a year or so ago when the garage (Volvo Service Centre) cleared and reset the errors, installed a software update to the DIM (Driver Information Module) and returned it to me. Things were fine for a few months but these errors have been returning and getting more common recently. It can go a day or so with no problems but the errors always reappear. I had the vehicle battery replaced a few weeks ago as this was mentioned on the original service report as being a possible cause - there has been no change since this was fitted.

Occasionally the car will not start - just displaying errors and not turning over. If I get out, lock and unlock the doors and try again it will generally start after 3 - 4 tries.

Car is currently at the garage where they have been trying various modules but the fault appears to be worse.
Has anyone experienced something similar?
I'm going to be facing a pretty severe bill for these tests with potentially no progress.
I'd be gratefull for any ideas!

Colin.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've read of similar issues previously, with the following causes suggested:

Low battery.

Faulty multi-plug connector in footwell behind carpet near accelerator pedal. Apparently the pins can corrode and there is a Volvo repair kit to replace them with gold plated connectors.

Faulty multi-plug connector at back of fuse box behind the glove box - similar problem with the connector pins I suspect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem, I have had all the fuses out, cleaned everything. Think I have finally worked out as mentioned about, that it is the connector right next to the accelerator pedal, gonna ring a dealer and find out if the gold plated one is available, a quick uncoupling of the connector seems to make the issues disappear

·
Registered
194 Posts
These problems are caused by a 'Faulty Circuit'. When starting, the major safety items test the Voltage to their Control Units. They throw up a warning if this check fails. When you have multiple units putting up failure messages then clearly they can't all have failed. The Circuit is both positive and negative. A low battery may cause this but frequently it's the return circuit or Earth.
The easy point to test is the Earth at the battery. Then this earth will track down to a Body Connection and most cars could do with this cleaning up occasionally. Then another cable goes to the Engine/Gearbox and vibration can affect the crimped connector. After that, any connector block on the way to the Control Units can get moisture inside that will reduce the earth capacity. Inside, a car that is run without the drying affect of Air Conditioning might get some moisture on the connections and something above a wet drying shoe might suffer more.
You can see that each connection might have some resistance and every one of these is contributing to the lack of a good earth. So cleaning one might or might not get you above the threshold. I find a good test is to connect a negative jump lead from the battery to the engine and see whether this get you above the threshold.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mine did exactly the same, was kind of concerning. I took it to a volvo garage and started to explain the symptoms, around half way of my monologue the technician stopped me, figured out what is happening. After 130 EURs and 30 minutes I was free from the problems. Multi-plug connector in footwell got fixed. Hope helps
János

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine did exactly the same, was kind of concerning. I took it to a volvo garage and started to explain the symptoms, around half way of my monologue the technician stopped me, figured out what is happening. After 130 EURs and 30 minutes I was free from the problems. Multi-plug connector in footwell got fixed. Hope helps
János
Hi Janos
Where works you recommend getting this fixed. The exact same is happening to my car at present.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi mate,
I'd go to the local volvo dealer. They will know what to do, and will not cost much. Good luck 👍
János

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Janos
Where works you recommend getting this fixed. The exact same is happening to my car at present.
Hi - I am also having same issue and my local Volvo dealer never came across the problem .... I am wonder if you got your issue resolved ? if you have issue resolved can you tell me what dealer you used ? ( base on your country flag I assume you are in Ireland ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts