Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like plastic against plastic, but I'm not sure. The sound usually when the cabin is warm. The rattle is coming from around the passenger side. I cannot pinpoint where its coming from. it's in the chair, door, ceiling or floor, I have not figured it out yet. I must find out where the sound is coming from before I crash....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same from right rear side of cabin - when warm. Here on forum is present topic abou door rattle, may be this is your case. I opened rear right door trim, use special tape. but nothing - the rattle stil present

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, just really hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Cant tell the dealer to "fix the rattle in the car somewhere". They are for sure not going to hear or find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there

I have had a rattle in the "C pillar" on the right side since I have had the car (4 months). Its been back twice for a fix, but the rattle keeps recurring!

Its in the area where the rear seat belt is mounted at the top.

Good luck

Flip

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there

I have had a rattle in the "C pillar" on the right side since I have had the car (4 months). Its been back twice for a fix, but the rattle keeps recurring!

Good luck

Flip
Hi Flippie,

I get the same sort of noise, I need to take it back to get them to look at it. I have notice though that the stereo makes it worse on loud bass heavy songs and although it sounds like it comes from the pillar it actually stops when I rest my arm on the arm rest of the inlay of the door.

Just thought I would share to see if it helps you identify the problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,
got some rattling here and there in the interior of my v40 as well.
Occuring:
-at turns/bumps on the road, most likely when the chassis/doors are twisted.
-when playing bass-heavy music.
Coming from:
-contact of the doors' glasses with the doors/door frame?
-from the inside center pillars (plastic contacts or something)?

i'm starting to believe the plastics are too soft or their contacts are wearing out quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dashboard Rattle

Hi,
With just 3,500k on the clock I've noticed a rattle somewhere in the dashboard. This has come on suddenly and sounds very much like wiring resting and vibrating on plastic. It is extremely annoying and although I've tried banging the dash with my open hand nothing seems to make it stop. I've been in touch with the dealer and they have suggested that I pay them a visit which I will do. I was wondering if it is a loose cable or whatever in the dashboard is this likely to take long to fix? Has anyone else come across this problem?
Many thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Completely empty your Glove Box as a trial. I find that when my handbooks are in the slip-in case they cause a creaking type sound.

Loose items in there also seem to cause some noise transfer but you have to store your charging wires and stuff somewhere so I've learned to put up with it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Completely empty your Glove Box as a trial. I find that when my handbooks are in the slip-in case they cause a creaking type sound.

Loose items in there also seem to cause some noise transfer but you have to store your charging wires and stuff somewhere so I've learned to put up with it!
That's a good point - however in my case the noise/rattle seems to be behind the speedo etc.:-/

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi,
With just 3,500k on the clock I've noticed a rattle somewhere in the dashboard. This has come on suddenly and sounds very much like wiring resting and vibrating on plastic. It is extremely annoying and although I've tried banging the dash with my open hand nothing seems to make it stop. I've been in touch with the dealer and they have suggested that I pay them a visit which I will do. I was wondering if it is a loose cable or whatever in the dashboard is this likely to take long to fix? Has anyone else come across this problem?
Many thanks
If it's something obvious it should be a quick fix; the dealer won't know until they examine the car. My V40 had a dashboard rattle which required stripping down the equipment behind the dashboard the rebuilding it piece by piece, test driving at each stage. The dealer did fix the rattle, but it took two weeks to fix...hope yours is something simple.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it's something obvious it should be a quick fix; the dealer won't know until they examine the car. My V40 had a dashboard rattle which required stripping down the equipment behind the dashboard the rebuilding it piece by piece, test driving at each stage. The dealer did fix the rattle, but it took two weeks to fix...hope yours is something simple.
Wow! so do I!
Its amazing how something like a 'rattle' can take all the pleasure out of driving. I'll wait and see what the dealer finds. Thanks for your input :thumbup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mine was the cables in the door, it. Took them 3 attempts to find and sort it.

I actually found a few tracks that would produce the correct frequency to set it off at the end so the dealer could track it down in the car while it was stood rather than being driven

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi there

Good luck

Flip
My car has started to develop this rattle, seems to happen when you brake or accelerate. Once i am on the move it goes away. I also have noticed a clunking noise coming from the back seats as if they are not locked in place correctly, on happens, when i reverse off the drive.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I get the rear 'clunk' on the offside and have done since first time off the drive. I have never heard it elsewhere though!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My old-new D3 has this crackle in the door pillar, but only when I go over really bad uneven road surface, almost sounds like it is coming from where the seat belt comes out. Doors not rattling, thank goodness, hope they stay like that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds familiar, mine had the same. The dealer lubricated various bits of the door lock mechanism which solved the problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.